We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A New Age (eh?)

Options

Comments

• oldperro
    oldperro Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    It could be worse: they could have insisted you go to Head Office in Santander.
    Mark

:rotfl::rotfl:

Christ!...at least it would be warmer!.... It's bloody freezing here!

I agree with xiox.
    I have had several ISAs most of the ones being postal/telephone/online.
    Frankly, I've never had this crap before...

If it had been sensible then I would have complied.
    But the fact that they will (might) accept a Utility bill from somebody off the street as ID evidence, but refuse to send a cheque made out to the named account holder at the original address, calling on the same contact phone number they have on record

Well...that's just nonsense in my opinion...but infuriating nonsense, since it's MY time they are wasting..

Interesting post there, Glider..

My friend lives and works within the normal Spanish community (not ex-pat on a Holiday development) but in the Spanish NHS and that's his view after living there for over 10 years.

The fact of the FSA and Government tightening up of ID rules to make things awkward for folk, couldn't have anything to do with it's great desire to introduce National Identity Cards now, would it?

Naw...that would be a cynical way of thinking....
  • PC_Gabriel_Kent
    Options
    I think the OP is the one being awkward on this thread and doing it on purpose. Despite what is a reasonable request to take some in some ID, they have a huge list of ID, the OP makes it out like some big overblown drama.
  • oldperro
    Options
    I think the OP is the one being awkward on this thread and doing it on purpose. Despite what is a reasonable request to take some in some ID, they have a huge list of ID, the OP makes it out like some big overblown drama.

PC it depends on your view of "reasonable".
    If you have half a day to waste, then that's your value on your time..

At the end of the day it's MY money they have!
    So let's not lose that aspect of the situation...

Why should I have to beg for it?

And be told I can't have it or do anything with it, unless I am a good boy and comply?

The other ISA providers I've dealt with don't have a problem like that.

I think it's wimpish attitudes like you hold, that they depend on to set their "rules" quite frankly.
  • oldperro
    Options
    they have a huge list of ID.

BTW when I telephoned them this morning to ask exactly what I needed, I was told again that without photo identity in the form of a Passport or Drivers Licence I will have a problem.
    So are you privvy to some secret list?

If so could you publish this list here?

I would be most grateful.
  • CJMITSystems
    Options
    In the computer world we say: "The computer says NO!!!"
    I am an IT guy and see this more and more, People are told that the RULES are in the PC to protect the employ and that they could get in serious trouble if the rules are not followed so... OUT the door with human understanding in IN with the "The computer says NO!!!"
    IT is for every one not just those that can see, know how or have a lot of money...
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried going into a branch?
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    oldperro wrote: »
    BTW when I telephoned them this morning to ask exactly what I needed, I was told again that without photo identity in the form of a Passport or Drivers Licence I will have a problem.
    So are you privvy to some secret list?

If so could you publish this list here?

I would be most grateful.

Here's their list of ID for opening an account. Perhaps it's the same for re-activating a dormant account?
    http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.Abbeycom&c=Page&canal=CABBEYCOM&cid=1210607011792&empr=Abbeycom&leng=en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom/Page/WC_ACOM_TemplateA2

Mark
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The money laundering guidelines apply to all FSA authorised firms in the UK and are based on European rules. Santander are just asking what all would ask.

Some firms use electronic money laundering identification, which is useful on postal applications. However, if the bank didnt make these requests they would be fined millions and could potentially have their banking licence revoked. The bank clerks involved and their supervisors could also face up to 15 years in prison.

Also that it is not possible under law to add money to an old ISA, since they are renewed on a year by year basis...so what are they getting at?

ISA rules. The gap has broken any continuation rules. So, any application now would be treated as new a new product. Or it could be that the old ISA product is now closed for new business unless under continutation (Regular contirbutions).
    but just the old non-photo original one I got decades ago....they said that in that case the account would have to remain dormant...since I could be "anybody".

If you have the old style driving licence and its still valid, then that is not a problem but you need an additional ID as well. Most recent original utility bill or council tax notification are most popular to use in these cases. So, you are being told incorrect information there.
    When I asked if I could email or fax any documents they requested, they said that this could not be done and I would have to appear in person.

That is correct. If they are doing the ML check the old way then they need to see the originals.
    When I explained that I actually opened the account by post, so nobody had ever seen me in person at their office, they said sorry but those are the rules.

That is possibly why they are asking for them now. That and the fact that two years ago the ML rules were amended to cover closures/surrenders and maturities. Plus, you couldnt rely on ID that may or may not have been provided in the past if it was no longer in date or you had moved house.

Also, as the account is dormant, they have to follow identification rules from scratch. That is quite normal.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • oldperro
    Options
    Thanks Mark and Dunstonh.

I will try to go in next week and take in what I have and see what they say.

(I also sought some advice on this and was told that they cannot demand to see evidence which you do not have and have to exercise reasonable judgement.)

Thanks to all and will let you know what happens.
  • PC_Gabriel_Kent
    Options
    Lets hope when you go to the bank you are not as smug, arrogant and down right bloody awkward as you are on here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport