Free Museums and Galleries deals page discussion / Report top spots

Options

Comments

• machloop
    machloop Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    If you are near Stoke-on-Trent the Potteries museum is well worth a few hours...........

WWW :j.stokemuseums.org.uk/pmag

Now with the Saffordshire hoard on show.

No Loans in the Last 30 Years :beer:
    Monthly mobile phone bill < £1 :rotfl:
    Credit Cards paid in full Every Month :j
    And I drive a BMW :D
  • enwhite
    Options
    The Red House Museum and Gardens Quay Road, Christchurch
    Dorset BH23 1BU. Tuesday to Saturday10am to 5pm
    Sunday 2pm to 5pm
    (last admission 4.30pm)

Admission Free
    A charming Georgian building, built as a workhouse in 1764, now filled with a rich variety of displays and objects which reflect the social and natural history of the area, its geology and archaeology.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Portsmouth City Museum, Museum Road, Portsmouth - http://www.portsmouthcitymuseums.co.uk/

It's a really good museum - there's an interactive display of Sherlock Holmes stuff, narrated by Stephen Fry (:)), a section on the history of Portsmouth with recreated rooms from the 17th century to the 1960s, a section on seaside amusements with old games to play, a section of Portsmouth FC memorabilia, various art displays, and two sections that change regularly (last time I went there was a display of photos of early rock and roll artists, and a display of abstract art).

There's also a little cafe that does decent, very reasonably priced food, including some delicious homemade cakes (you can tell where my interests lie, I think! ;))
  • cyborgurl
    Options
    The Shire Hall Gallery in Stafford is free and has a wonderful exhibition of multisensory sculpture at the moment, as well as an old court room and prison cell.
  • RosiePhilpott
    Options
    The New Walk Museum in Leicester does not appear in the list, but is the biggest museum in Leicester with a good Eygyptian section, dinosaur hall, a variety of interactive displays suitable for children, and an art gallery. It is free except for special exhibitions.
  • JamesHickford
    Options
    Yes New Walk Museum & Art Gallery in Leicester is great. Has some great exhibitions including touring shows from the V&A and British Museum and Fine and Decorative Art and Egyptians displays. Special exhibitions are also free!
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Museum of London near the Barbican is free;

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/

They also have a sister Museum in Docklands which is free for children but charges adults £5 for annual entry:

http://www.museumindocklands.org.uk/English/
    The man without a signature.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March 2010 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Kettles Yard, Cambridge. Free talks on Thursday lunchtimes too.
    ind_front.jpg
    On Castle Street in Cambridge, is a beautiful and unique house containing a distinctive collection of modern art. Kettle's Yard was founded by H.S. 'Jim' Ede as a place where visitors would 'find a home and a welcome, a refuge of peace and order, of the visual arts and of music.'

Check their Calendar of Events:
    http://www.kettlesyard.co.uk/index.html

I love this place: it is a haven.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback