"Made with real ingredients" and other virtually meaningless marketing statements?

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.
Update Note:

I’ve had a great response to this, my favourite being “nothing cleans faster than ariel” in which case why not buy nothing rather than ariel! And someone’s follow up...
my washing machine takes the same length of time regardless of which washing detergent I use.

· I love the statement 'new and improved'. A product can be one or the other but not both

· I've had an interesting email discussion with Nestle about their new Aero advert which states "33% more bubbles". So asked their customer service people if this meant that because there's more air in the bar, that must mean there's less chocolate!

· Or Daz "whiter than White ". What's that all about? White is White !

· Or "Kills 99.9% of all germs/bacteria"... so if you catch anything afterwards, it can always be blamed on the 0.1% that survived!

· The marketing line that has always got to me is 'hand cooked crisps or chips'. Do they really expect us to believe that somebody is throwing batches into the fryer manually? I hope their hands are scrupulously clean if that's the case.

· Dolmio ...the authentic taste of Italy made in the UK, have a slogan of proper food for proper kids ...just microwave in the packet for 60 seconds. That always drives me nuts

· "We guarantee that you won't find our properties for a lower rate anywhere on the internet. If you do we'll match that rate and give you a 10% discount". But.. you said..

· I find the cheese straws ones funny that say "Made with real cheese". Surely that's what you'd expect?!

· As someone who has studied Chemistry to a high level, "chemical free" is something that really does make me cringe, as does "natural". People seem to be fixated that chemical = bad, when as the RSC quite rightly point out, everything is made of chemicals!

Comments

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My sister said this ages ago :)

I told her about the paper you can write on both sides
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Old_Wrinkly
    Old_Wrinkly Posts: 5,182 Forumite
    Options
    From the blog :
    ... it is jammed with flavourings, species, firming agents and more.

I wonder which species they were? ;)
    Hopefully not endangered ones. :D
  • Jinxed
    Jinxed Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    From the blog :

ROFL

I always giggle at the peanuts packs that say 'may contain nuts'...Really?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From the blog :

I'll change that - oops
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    Haha, this reminds me of a bit on the Simpsons.

Marge goes into the shopping mall, and a woman convinces her to try some beauty thing. She says "try this rejuvenating lotion. It contains over fifty... ingredients!"
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    I'm a strict vegetarian and food geek so I like to know what I'm eating and where it comes from.

Answers to a couple of things here:

The peanut comment, peanuts are legumes like beans and not actually nuts, just because the name contains the word nut doesn't mean they are. A peanut is actually no more a nut than a donut is, however they are usually processed in factories handling other nuts. Packets of actual nuts often say may contain traces of other nuts which people think nothing of.

The blog article says at best the marketing statement means the crips contain no E numbers, this is not true. An E number is a food additive which is not a food product in its own right, many are harmless (beetroot red is a food colouring from betroot for example) but some are more controversial such as aspartame and monosodium glutamate (MSG) and give E numbers a bad reputation, therefore manufacturers often listen the product by name rather than E number as they are not required to list the E number on the packaging.

Calcium chloride is E509 and citric acid is E330 so the crisps are actually not free from E numbers.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Options
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    The peanut comment, peanuts are legumes like beans and not actually nuts,

You learn something new every day!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • metalgal
    metalgal Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    . Packets of actual nuts often say may contain traces of other nuts which people think nothing of.

I was got a packet of mixed nuts and raisins. It said on it

"Warning may contain nuts"

Why the may? If it hadn't contained nuts then I would have wanted my money back.
  • lynneinjapan
    Options
    Got the Tory manifesto in the post the other day. They've included a nice little graph showing that last year the Conservative vote for our constituency went up by 7.5% and the Labour one went down by 1.7%, which of course means that Labour "can't win"... or so they claim.

However, they say nothing about actual numbers of votes, so in extreme terms, it could be that the Tories got 40 votes in 2008 and 43 in 2009, while Labour got 100,000 in 2008 and 98,300 in 2009.

I'm not particularly in favour of either party, btw, just highlighting the meaninglessness of the claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure