PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where do I find jam jars?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Phatmouse
    Options
    you can buy jars with the metal things round them from ikea at the minute. They are not cheap or expensive but will last forever.

As others have said freecycle round my way is always offering them.
  • rhubarbs
    rhubarbs Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all. I found a stash of jam jars in my Dad's garage. Goodness knows why he was keeping them as I've never known him to re-use a jam jar... I have promised him a couple of jars of jam in return.
  • dearbarbie
    Options
    morning all - just!

anyone know where i can buy 1lb jam jars with plastic lids (ideally in West London)? im making some spiced plum chutney for my grandparents for xmas, i thought Lakeland would do them but my nearest store is over an hour away!! habitat's website seems to have nothing on...help! would love to do it today!
    :A
  • becky_sleaf
    Options
    Have you tried the Lakeland website? I've just had some jars delivered from them. They had a few different styles to choose from. Also somewhere around is a £10.00 discount if you do the ordering by phone. You have to tell a little white lie about how you got the code but it's well worth it! I'll PM you the details.

Hope this helps.
    Our 1st baby is due 29th December 2007! :rudolf:
    I'm hopeful that this get's me out of cooking Christmas dinner!

Baby Ruby arrived after 55 hours of labour & an emergency c section on Christmas Day at 14.41 weighing 6lb 6oz...And yes I did get out of cooking Christmas dinner!!:rotfl:
  • gingababe
    gingababe Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got my jars from Lakeland using the voucher, I(well my hubbie did) ordered on Monday, they were here on Thursday morning
    Ginga
  • BruceNelson
    Options
    A chunk of wax or wax paper will not provide the needed seal.

You need to get a block of wax or a package of chips or pellets. (in Canada it is called paraffin wax) Melt it in a water bath, and pour over the top of the jam.

4 tricks:
    1.) Water bath. my mother used a metal can (like tinned vegetables) to put the wax in, and then set it in a saucepan with water. Lightly boiling water is plenty hot enough to melt the wax, but will not allow the wax to become hot enough to combust. Dry heating the wax, particularly on a gas or paraffin stove creates a high risk of fire.
    2.) Pour about 3mm on top of the jam / jelly. Let the wax cool slightly. Hold a loop of string so that the tails float on the wax. Pour on another 5-6 mm. The string forms a handle that makes it easier to remove the wax.
    3.) Best to use jars with properly fitting screw-on or clamp on lids, to protect the fragile wax seal.
    4.) When you open the jam, rinse the seal with hot water - this will leave clean wax that can be remelted for reuse on the next batch of jam.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    A chunk of wax or wax paper will not provide the needed seal.

You need to get a block of wax or a package of chips or pellets. (in Canada it is called paraffin wax) Melt it in a water bath, and pour over the top of the jam.

4 tricks:
    1.) Water bath. my mother used a metal can (like tinned vegetables) to put the wax in, and then set it in a saucepan with water. Lightly boiling water is plenty hot enough to melt the wax, but will not allow the wax to become hot enough to combust. Dry heating the wax, particularly on a gas or paraffin stove creates a high risk of fire.
    2.) Pour about 3mm on top of the jam / jelly. Let the wax cool slightly. Hold a loop of string so that the tails float on the wax. Pour on another 5-6 mm. The string forms a handle that makes it easier to remove the wax.
    3.) Best to use jars with properly fitting screw-on or clamp on lids, to protect the fragile wax seal.
    4.) When you open the jam, rinse the seal with hot water - this will leave clean wax that can be remelted for reuse on the next batch of jam.

its been done that way in the uk with wax paper since time began!! maybe its a bit different in canada because it can get very warm in your summers but here in chilly blighty any old jars with a disc of wax paper and a nice piece of cloth with a laccy band around the top or the original lid should suffice.
    try asking on freecycle first as everyone i know has old jam jars stashed away rattling around for years, i bet they`d be glad to get shot of them.
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    annie-c wrote: »
    I asked a similar question on another thread and was told you can use all sorts of jars, inc. coffee jars, as along as they are properly sterilised and as long as you put a wax seal on top that thoroughly covers the surface of the jam (in order to prevent mould). Apparently you can get the wax seals in pound shops (about 60 in a pack for a pound).

I have asked one or two people with large families to save me theirs too - in return for a pot of jam each!

i know this was posted in 2006 but you can also use the plastic bags from inside cereal packets as a seal, just turn the jam jars upside down mark around them in pen and cut out a very slightly smaller disk so long as it stops the air you can use anything really..my mum just covers the jars with cling film.
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • JamMaker1
    Options
    I make jams, curds, jellies and marmalades and sell them locally.
    I got my first lot of jars from a reputable supplier that I found online. from then on, I bought them a lot cheaper on eBay.
    If you are selling them, you should have a Food and Hygiene Certificate (you can do this online), you can re use jam jars but should have new lids every time (you can buy these separately and cheaply) and your labels should state what is in the jars, ingredients and how much- either in grams or ozs, when it was made and if necessary, instructions- for example, as in lemon curd because of the eggs, you should put, "Use within a month and keep in 'fridge"
  • Westywoodpecker
    Options
    Welcome to MSE JamMaker1

It always amazes me when old posts are dug out, but also saddens me at how many of the lovely people don't post any more. :(
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure