PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where do I find jam jars?

Options
Just recently taken up making jam.............yes I know it sounds sad..........but then again I am in my forties, and thats what women in their forties do, isn't it?

If anyone knows where someone sad and middle aged goes to find empty jam jars I would be grateful.

I cannot believe I am posting this :)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Pink

Comments

• chucklingbunny
    Options
    WooHoo! A fellow jam maker! :D

If you have a Wilkinsons anywhere nearby, they usually have jam jars - my local store keeps them with the beer/wine making stuff.

Otherwise, if you want to re-use old ones, maybe you could ask your friends and neighbours to save theirs for you.

Hope you manage to find some - there's nothing like homemade goodies!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Try your local WI they may very well have an associated market where you can get new screw lids at a reasonable price.

Do remember that reusing an item such as a jamjar is much better than recycling and if you put them through the dishwasher they are sterilised. Labels usually come off with soaking and if the glue remains spray a little WD40 on it.

Home jammaking isn't sad it's sensible. There are hedge fulls of blackberries waiting to be picked for free and home made backberry and apple is far better than anything you can buy.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    I know nothing about jam making, but would be interested to learn.

Do you use a specific recipe? How easy is it? Is there much cost involved? Exactly what fruit/veg can you put in a jam?

Thanks muchly....

PS Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it's something I've always thought about doing, but never done!
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thankyou all for your replies, I'll check out your ideas.

Svmitche, making jam is really very easy. You can make it from almost any fruit.

Usually I go fruit picking with the children (a cheap and fun day out), but today I am armed with a massive bunch of rhubarb given to me by one of my patients who is no longer able to use it. She told me she used to make rhubarb jam........something I'd never thought of, and I'd love to make her some. She said that you just boil the rhubarb with the same weight of sugar, and that there is no need to add water as rhubarb has a high water content. I'm going to try it and see..........If only I wasn't out of jam jars!

I first began making jam after reading Delia Smith's chapter on preserving, and as Ted_Hutchinson says it's inexpensive and tastes delicious.

Pink
  • svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Pink,

Thanks for that. I think perhaps I'll pay Delia a visit!

Stacey
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey Pink,

I can assure you there is NOTHING sad about making jam, it is fun and it tastes delicious.

I go with a friend sometimes to pick up blackberries and small wild plums (she calls them 'bullets') and she has lots of sour-ish apples from a tree in her garden, and we spend some fantastic afternoons making jam. It is a very sociable activity.

A few weeks ago she went with her husband to the pick-your-own farm and got loads of strawberries, she then rang me and invited me for a 'jam-session' (memories of my rock-chick youth hehehe) and we had a great time - I also had a surplus of organic oranges from my weekly deliver, so I bought organic sugar and away we went, making jam all day!

I am also well into my 40's (47 a few days ago) but I still have a lot of fun and intend to do so into my 90's if I reach them - and jam-making is one of the fun things to do!

Ciao

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my local mother & child group keep theres from the toast for me, and neighbours too. nothing like your own jam on your bread.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    by the way i.m 27 and been making jam for years, nothing sad about it. no preservatives, no colours, is just fab.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask a jam making question too?!

I'm 18, and I've decided I want to try making jam. I've found a recipe, and all sounds simple. And then I have to pour the hot jam into warm jars.

So what is the best way to warm the jars?
    And then what do I cover them with?
    And where can I buy pectin?
    And what's the easiest jam to start with?

I think that's all my questions for now, any help welcome!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills