PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Where do I find jam jars?

Options

Comments

• CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    Hi! If you don't have a lid to seal your jar, you need jam pot covers .

Once you've potted the jam, add the waxed disk. Then, while the jam is still hot, take a cover, wet it on one side (I use a pastry brush) then place wet side up on the jar, and secure with the elastic band. As the jam cools, it will form an airtight seal.

The WI recommend this method, as they don't approve of reusing lids!

When the jam is cool, you can make a decorative cover out of a circle of pretty fabric, cut with pinking shears, and attach to the top with a ribbon.

Penny. x

great minds :rotfl:
  • rhubarbs
    rhubarbs Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, finally got around to making my quince jelly. I went to my jam jar stash only to discover Mr Rhubarbs has sent them for recycling. :eek:

Where can I get a fairly large number of jam jars for not very much money in extra quick time??? The jelly is at syrup stage so I can't leave it too long...

Thanks you.
  • ironed_out
    Options
    How long's not long? (sorry, never made quince jelly)
    Could you ask on your local freecycle group if any are going spare. :confused: or would that take too long
  • flourgirl
    flourgirl Posts: 3,415 Forumite
    Options
    If you live near Doncaster I have loads. You could have some.

Ask your neighbours, ring round friends and family.

As a last resort buy value jam, make jam tarts and use the jars for your jelly.
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    Options
    If you leave near Windsor I can let you have some
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Options
    flourgirl wrote:
    As a last resort buy value jam, make jam tarts and use the jars for your jelly.

This is what I should have done earlier in the year, when I made Chutney. Stupid me tottled off to Fenwicks and paid 99p a go, *hangs head in shame*

I saw this tip on here after I'd bought them, go to supermarket, find cheapest item in glass jar, which was suggested as being Asda's Smart Price jam which is so thin you can pour it down the sink, apparently, do that wash out jars, cost about 20p each.
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    i reckon you should try freecycle- there has been at least one offer on my local group recently, and i have a few jam jars stashed away which i wont use, and im sure im not the only one..
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are always jam jars offered on Freecycle, and a Wanted ad on there will probably have you drowning in jars. Also, mention it to all your friends - most people seem to throw out 1 or 2 a week, so it wouldn't take long to collect a load.
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    Someone else has had this problem recently. The suggestions here might be of use to you.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=299329

Which reminds me I forgot to get the wine recipie out I'd said I would in this thread
    :embarasse:
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    I know this was posted yesterday, but I would have trolled off down the road and helped out the council's recycling efforts, and had a peep in my neighbours recycling boxes :)

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family