Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cashman wrote:
    ...buy the way how did you add the speed cameras,
    cheers cash

Have a read here .

HTH
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are these any good we are going away at weekend and it really spoils our hols when we get lost or have to deceiver a autoroute planner. I dont drive a lot but I detest getting lost etc. Thanks

I see Halfords and Comet have them for £99 still
  • DontDoDebtKids
    Options
    Can these handle traffic information?

On some of the built in sat navs, it receives traffic information and re-routes you around traffic jams and accidents (and this, I feel, is the most useful feature in a sat nav).
    LBM: Nov 2004 Debt Apr06: £19,273.46 (Highest)
    Debt 2006: Jul:£18,552.06|Aug:£17,615.14|Sep:£16,297.98|Oct:£15,961|Nov:£15,760.66|Dec:£13,204.37
    Debt 2007: Jan:£13,183.71|Feb:£13,851.03|Mar:£13,349.15|April:£12,997.33 | May: £12,300.00 | June: £12,000 | July: £9,894.44 |Aug:£0
    Debt Free Date: 31 August 2007
    The £2 Coin Savers Club = £72
    Reclaiming my bank charges - £105 reclaimed
    My Diary: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=230561
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I don't think it can DontDoDebtKids, this is a budget unit so if you want extras you have to pay for it I guess. I only wanted a unit that tells me the best route and it can recalculate it if you go off route, very useful.

Halford no longer sell these so I been told and Comet are hard to source, you may get one on-line at Comet.

I got mine from CPW, its on-line at £125 but the local shop have them for £146 they sold it to us for £125 but wouldn't price match Comet. We needed ours in a hurry.

I tried it last night around town and its great. It doesn't come with a transcard (micro SD) like the old model did, so POI wouldn't fit in the built in unit that I got from Pocket GPS. I bought a 512mb transcard with SD adaptor for £15 on-line.
  • Wee_Fifer
    Wee_Fifer Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Poppycat wrote:
    I don't think it can DontDoDebtKids, this is a budget unit so if you want extras you have to pay for it I guess. I only wanted a unit that tells me the best route and it can recalculate it if you go off route, very useful.

Halford no longer sell these so I been told and Comet are hard to source, you may get one on-line at Comet.

I got mine from CPW, its on-line at £125 but the local shop have them for £146 they sold it to us for £125 but wouldn't price match Comet. We needed ours in a hurry.

I tried it last night around town and its great. It doesn't come with a transcard (micro SD) like the old model did, so POI wouldn't fit in the built in unit that I got from Pocket GPS. I bought a 512mb transcard with SD adaptor for £15 on-line.
    Just wanted to say i thought mines didn't come with the card either as i could see it, but 2 weeks later i discovered it when trying to connect it in the car. I found it just below the usb connector on the side. Its tiny!!!!!Hope this helps
    :)
  • lynneinjapan
    Options
    Tharweb wrote:
    No longer coming up as free delivery. :o
    Free delivery appears to have been reinstated now. The earliest date I was offered was 11th Aug (9 days away) but I can live with that (as long as my baby doesn't decide that HER delivery is a higher priority on that day!). Nice to be given a specific date for delivery, but unfortunately you don't get to specify morning or afternoon.

Can you easily move it between cars / take it out when you leave the car? I've taken the plunge and ordered one anyway - that's hubby's birthday present taken care of!
  • Poppycat
    Options
    There is transcard slot as you implied Wee_Fifer but no card in it.

From what I read theres a newer model with builtin memory but less of it, hence why poi wont load in but works with the older model that has a 256mb transcard.

I checked with Comet yesterday and online the neerast delivery date I could get was Tuesday for next week with paying the extra postage. I needed it this weekend for our hols and couldnt wait even though I would normally wait o save money.

Its easy to swap in cars lynneinjapan, you just unclip the sucker and pull of the screen, it takes all off a minute if the other car is next to it.

Thats assuming you dont have the problems with reception pickup some cars have heating elements in the windscreen that can effect the reception so you may need an aerial, I seen them for £16. It works fine in ours, it took 5 minutes to pickup the satelittes at first, it doenst like working inside the house.
  • rjm67
    rjm67 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Superb little unit for the money.

I bought my girlfriend one of these as she gets lost in her home town sometimes. I've had Tom Tom / PDA solutions previously, but this is so good for the money. As people have previously said, you can't get traffic info, but the speed camera info (or should we say safety camera) can be added quite easily, it runs on batteries (about 6 hours) as well as the 12v adapter cable that's included. The interface takes a bit of getting used to, but nothing complicated, just different. Easy to move between cars too. For £100 it's a steal. Just ordered a second one for myself to use/keep in my car.

Go buy one, you won't regret it. :D

P.S. Sligtly confused about the comments on it not having the micro SD card, as I believe that the maps are stored on this, and the last one I bought did have one. (Must get the other half to see if it will work without it) Shouldn't be any problems adding the POI stuff if this is the case.
  • draycote
    Options
    Hello,

I guess this comes with a memory card? what type, Can I add maps of Europe and POI's etc.

Thanks
  • rjm67
    rjm67 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    draycote wrote:
    Hello,

I guess this comes with a memory card? what type, Can I add maps of Europe and POI's etc.

Thanks

It comes with a Micro SD card, which I believe has the maps stored on it. There are some POI's already included, and you can get more from the poi loader software from here. http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/ You can buy additional maps from the website too (already loaded on a Micro SD card), but I don't know if you can create your own though.

Hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport