🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Garmin i3 Sat Nac back at 99.99 at comet

Options

Comments

• showman36
    showman36 Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    Miss-spent wrote:
    Mine arrived Friday but only just got a chance to look at it. it doesn't work. It keeps saying searching for satalite settings but never finds them. Been trying all day in all areas of the house. Downloaded software but said no updates needed. Has this happened to anyone else?
    :rotfl: Its not April fools day is it?
  • Miss-spent_2
    Options
    Have already tried it outside in the garden. Didn't work. Surely if it didn't work in the back garden it's not going to work at the front of the house where the car is?
    Also by around the house I meant on window sills.

I thought the idea of this site was to help each other. I'd been told there was no such thing as a silly question, obviously Iwas wrong.
  • adrianwood
    Options
    Does anyone think that Carphone warehouse would price match with either woolworths or halfords even if both the alternatives are out of stock?
    Any thoughts?
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried the car miss-spent? Also some car wind screens can also interfere with the GPS signal, which may be solved with a external aerial.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As I stated they wont in my previous post I asked them and there computer wont discount any stores, there terms and conditiond online, mention price matched for phones only. They will match there web site price though as its in store for £146 or there abouts.
    adrianwood wrote:
    Does anyone think that Carphone warehouse would price match with either woolworths or halfords even if both the alternatives are out of stock?
    Any thoughts?
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Miss-spent wrote:
    Have already tried it outside in the garden. Didn't work. Surely if it didn't work in the back garden it's not going to work at the front of the house where the car is?
    Also by around the house I meant on window sills.

I thought the idea of this site was to help each other. I'd been told there was no such thing as a silly question, obviously Iwas wrong.

In your OP, you didn't state you had tried it outside, you are correct there is not such thing as a silly ???. but it helps if you give us the correct info.

Imo, stick it in your car and have a drive around locally and see if you pick up a signal, as you could be in a black spot.
    If it still doesn't pick up a signal return it to the shop.
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Miss-spent wrote:
    Have already tried it outside in the garden. Didn't work.

This happened to quite a few people (including myself) when the i3 was originally £99.99 from Somerfield in January. The answer is to leave it in the garden for up to a couple of hours until it locks onto the satellites for the first time. Luckily you never have to do this again once it's found them; it should take less than a minute on future occasions (but probably won't work in your house - it has to have a clear view of at least 3 satellites which is unlikely indoors).
  • NickMidgley
    NickMidgley Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, it took ours about 45 minutes to pick up a satellite first time round, and it won't pick up anything if you're indoors. We just put it in position on the car windscreen and left it there to do its stuff. Once it's picked up a satellite for the first time it's a lot quicker (a minute or two) when you switch it on again thereafter.

There's NOTHING in the i3's boxed instructions about this, so it WASN'T a silly question if you're a relative newbie (which we all were once, right?). I eventually found a more comprehensive instruction leaflet on the web and got the info from there.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet!
  • greyster
    greyster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    I heard this second hand and haven't done it myself but ... if you keep batteries in the I3, it will find the signal quicker when you turn it on in the car (with or without the car charger).

I don't bother I can't wait a couple of mins tops.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts