PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

TEA BAG CLEANING for toilets

Options

Comments

• SusanCarter
    SusanCarter Posts: 781 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I just give the toilet a brush every day so it doesn't get dity.
  • gwinnie
    gwinnie Posts: 9,881 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EliotJohn wrote:
    Isn't it amazing how a topic such as this one makes us all want to give our two penn'orth? Not to be outdone, here's mine!

For what it's worth, my wife is obsessive about limescale staining in the loo and she reckons that it is the limescale rather than the noxious substances we emit that cause the staining problem. After disputing this at first, I have to confess that I think she is right. She swears by "Spirits of Salt" which you can get from some hardware shops. it is not available everywhere so you may have to hunt for it. It is a very potent chemical so be sure to follow the instructions on the bottle VERY carefully before using it. However, if your goal in life is to have a nice, shiny, clean toilet pan then you will love this! It will remove limescale that you cannot see - unless you stick your head inside the toilet pan - and the stains that sit on top of it. Amazing!

Spirits of Salt is hydrochloric acid. Potent stuff. You'd need protective clothing, mask and gloves, and to keep it in a very safe place.
    Context is all.

"Free your mind and the rest will follow."

"Real eyes realise real lies"
  • delluver
    delluver Posts: 568 Forumite
    Options
    I just give the toilet a brush every day so it doesn't get dity.

Yeah but if you just moved in and don't really need a new bog coz it's just dirty, you need some good tips like these :)

I use a common garden hedgehog taped to a stick from my garden to brush around the loo bowl and car battery acid to take off those unsightly stains - use of goggles and rubber gloves recommended.

Bless all those with a sense of humour. lol.
  • 2girlsmum
    Options
    Have to agree with earlier post - I have a Polti Steamer and it is brill - no chemicals involved and you wouldn't believe the muck that came down from areas you just cannot physically clean yourself. Can also be used on tiles and grouting, floors, windows, upholstery, carpets, cookers, etc. You can even do your ironing with it. Well worth the initial outlay. :rotfl:
  • Capyboppy
    Capyboppy Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I jump on this great band wagon too? Posted about this before on all sorts of forums but still not come up with anything.

I live in a soft water area, but I still tend to get a horrible light coloured orangey browny staining on the bottom of the bath. I have tried everything over the years, but just can't get rid of it. Everything except teabags that is. Now wondering if I fill the bath with just enough water to cover the bottom, then put say about 12 used teabags in and soak overnight if that is worth a try. Any other ideas would be appreciated too. I don't know what is causing this staining as I clean it as much as possible.
  • trog980_0
    Options
    Hi, I use the tablets that clean false teeth, they are brilliant if you leave them overnight or if you are out in the day, then use a toilet brush.

I have now started using products by a company called Enjo. They are expensive to buy but you then only use cold water and the cloths to clean the whole house. You cannot buy it in the shops but via a similar system to tupperware.
  • steady__eddie
    steady__eddie Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    Toilet cleaning has turned into a veritable minefield of information recently. Is this subject likely to be offered as an O.U. degree course ?
    Having achieved a gleaming pan using elbow grease, I merely perform routine maintainence with one of them green scrubber thingies every other Saturday for 5 minutes. The sight of me donning my surgical glove did provoke Mrs. steady-eddie into a quick reversion back to christianity but when I disappeared into the loo, the initial terror disappeared.
    I am keen to learn however, why this subject is now prevalent.
    Did sanitary ware not suffer this fate in times gone past or did people not discuss it ? I do not recall pan staining all those years ago, all that we used was a lavatory brush and the occasional sprinkling of disinfectant. Perhaps modern manufacturing has changed and pans are more susceptible to staining (conspiracy theory inviting producers of hygiene and cleaning products to participate). With the advent of increased processed food consumption could human waste be exacerbating the problem or is there more of this limescale stuff supplied in the water nowadays adversely reacting with the floride and other chemicals that we are treated to ?
    Your helpful comments, as usual, are greatly appreciated.
  • Lucianne_2
    Options
    Bossyboots wrote:
    Vinegar is my cure all for dirty toilets. If they are really bad, empty out the water and replace it with vinegar and leave as long as possible, preferably overnight. It eats away at the limescale the dirt is clinging to and a good scrub should see most of it go. It does not stain. Depending on how long it has been in a state, it might need another go.

Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) is a bit of a miracle cure for lots of things, and works especially well when combined with white wine vinegar to remove stains. I've used it to remove water marks and red wine stains from glasses/decanters, and it's been very successful. When combines, the acid/alkali mixture fizzes in a very satisfactory way, and is good for removing stains and unblocking sluggish plugholes.

Bicarb of soda alone is also brilliant for removing odorous stains (with a rabbit and a 3 year old, we have quite a few of those... Just cover the wet or dry stain, and hoover off when it's dry. Reapply til smell gone.
  • Little_Miss_Road_Rage
    Options
    What do you recon on cleaning bathroom tiles then when the grouting gets stained from the hard water. I used a bleach and turned it blue. Took ages to get that out. I didn't realise it just masked staines as reading above. I was thinking that next time I do a deep scrub of the bathroom tiles around the shower area where I have the problem, I was thinking about putting a clear varnish over the grouting to keep it from staining. What do you think.:confused:

I saw something on the TV about this and they used toothpaste and a toothbrush to clean the grouting. They said u didn't need an expensive brand just a cheap tube. I haven't tried it myself tho
  • Pontoon
    Pontoon Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Capyboppy wrote:
    Can I jump on this great band wagon too? Posted about this before on all sorts of forums but still not come up with anything.

I live in a soft water area, but I still tend to get a horrible light coloured orangey browny staining on the bottom of the bath. I have tried everything over the years, but just can't get rid of it. Everything except teabags that is. Now wondering if I fill the bath with just enough water to cover the bottom, then put say about 12 used teabags in and soak overnight if that is worth a try. Any other ideas would be appreciated too. I don't know what is causing this staining as I clean it as much as possible.

Best thing for getting rid of stains in the bath/sink that I've found is washing powder. My mum's old bath had been stained for years then after watching how clean is your house or something like that, she gave it a go. Ariel Non Bio, I think it was. It tells you to soak your washing in the bath with some washing powder and not only did it get the stains out the clothes it even got the blue/green stain under the tap out. I tried it on her white plastic sink which is about 15 years old and badly tea stained. It worked well there too, not quite perfect, but not brown anymore :-)

I haven't tried it in the toilet, but it might work there too.
    x21 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport