Using Your Mobile When Abroad: Roam For Less Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• medic1978
    medic1978 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    interesting article, but no mention of texting. Whats the cheapest way to SMS from other countries? I tend to text more than call, at it always annoys me when I get back and see all the 25p texts charged, esp when I never use the messages I'm entitled to in my package anyway. Could see anything on the global sims website I looked at about texting either.

Not sure which network your on but with o2 you can use your inclusive messages when texting from abroad. BUT 1 message sent costs 4 messages from inclusive allowance....... still better than PAYING 20-25p per text
  • wayyny
    wayyny Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    hi.going on a cruise shortly could anybody advice the cheapest way to make and receive calls on my mobile.(going round the med)thanks wayyny.:confused:
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised that someone went for Maxsim, as their rates for calling other mobiles are about $1 a minute. One way to save a bit on calling mobiles from the CallKey based SIMs is to call a UK 0871 callthrough number then the destination, saving about 30%in this case.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wayyny wrote:
    hi.going on a cruise shortly could anybody advice the cheapest way to make and receive calls on my mobile.(going round the med)thanks wayyny.:confused:
    Welcome

It sounds like this involves several countries, so one of the global SIMs would probably be best if you will make quite a few calls. But how far offshore will you be on average? - sometimes you may not have any signal, though there are some ships with their own micro coverage (oddly, usually a part of the Icelandic network Siminn)
  • cpjackso
    cpjackso Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The cheapest I've been able to work out for roaming in most countries is to use the sim4travel, or similar Lichtenstein-based SIM, and then rather than use the credit use https://www.callbackworld.com in America to originate the calls;

https://www.callbackworld.com allows you to register an account with them, subscription free, and they charge the calls to your credit card on a monthly basis.

It works by calling the american number they provide, which then dials you back with a dial-tone.

Costs to call from Lichtenstein (ie. anywhere in Europe + a lot of other places) to the UK are 7.49p/min for landline and 24p/min for UK mobile.

The reason why I've used the callbackworld method is because it works out cheaper, it's easier and a lot of the UK 0871/09 calling numbers just don't seem to work to Lichtenstein and callbackworld seem to be far cheaper when calling landlines!

http://www.callbackworld.com
    http://www.sim4travel.com

(PS: Don't forget you can get £4.50 cashback from quidco for sim4travel!)

Hope that helps someone!
  • Twydallaer
    Options
    At present (Aug 2006) Sim4Travel cards are available through Carphone Warehouse at £19.95 when bought with £10 air time. So that's £29.99 for £10 airtime - Better than via Sim4Travel's own website which only gives you £3 airtime.
  • drek
    drek Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    used simplytravelsim.com & was very pleased
  • medic1978
    medic1978 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    drek wrote:
    used simplytravelsim.com & was very pleased

Simplytravelsim.com seem ok. BUT do they enforce the following clause in their terms and conditions?:

"We reserve the right to cancel the Service via Your Product SIM card if You have not recharged for at least three times within the year"

Also would be interesting to know if it is DEFINITELY free to call the Isle of Mann mobile number provided with the sim out of inclusive minutes? (for 02/orange/vodafone/t-mobile etc)

Any help appreciated.....
  • drek
    drek Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    i emailed simplttravelsim about that 'clause' & they said they were gonna remove it...

also, BE CAREFUL, u cannot dial these isle of man numbers out of 'free' minutes.. BUT u can use cheap numbers like 0844 to bring it down to 4p p/min.

incoming calls for me in spain/israel were free & outgoing very god & cheap.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    medic1978 wrote:
    Also would be interesting to know if it is DEFINITELY free to call the Isle of Mann mobile number provided with the sim out of inclusive minutes? (for 02/orange/vodafone/t-mobile etc)

Its a Grey Area some networks allow out of x-net minutes.Some dont.Best to check with your own supplier.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure