PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wild Living ... No Renting, No Buying, No Selling ...

Options

Comments

• Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The only way to know is to just do it...safety is an issue, you'll be a single female living on your own but I'm sure there are many hundreds, if not thousands, doing just the same.

You'll probably find you'll link up with loads of folks who can give you tips and places to try out.

I'd do it like a shot...trouble is the hubby and the kids would miss me...:rotfl:.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • billymateless
    Options
    We, a family of 4, have just bought bricks & mortar after 10 years living in a 'tin can with wheels' It has been fantastic but it's not as cheap as you may think, camp site fees & laundry costs can be very expensive, having to move most days costs fuel. Free camping is economical but frowned on in most places in UK. There are plenty of motorhome forums around most with a section on fulltiming. When we started in 2000 we only met retirees on their way to Spain for the winter now there are loads of people & families from all walks of life on the road.
  • houseboatdream
    Options
    Hi PN

As Billy says there's lots on the internet about this, its called Fulltiming in motorhome circles and lots of people do it, not just retirees but working people too.

We fulltimed round europe for nine months in our van including in the winter. However that was/is a £40k motorhome with central heating etc, v warm. Its more expensive than you expect, especially if staying on campsites. The main problems are getting water (not usually a problem if on a site but it is if you are wildcamping)and doing the washing.

In the end we came back and bought a flat as we didn't like not having our own proper address or my mother opening our post! However, I'd be off tomorrow if I had the opportunity.....
    Back after 9 years in France ... starting again
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    PN,

Does this mean you will be joining the caravan club???
    I was going to ... but somebody's said their sites are pricey, so I'll be looking into it.

Caravan club ... nice cup of tea. Middle age definitely found me didn't it!
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Jowo wrote: »
    In Brighton, a local councillor is dealing with complaints from residents about van dwellers living in residential areas. They've had to introduce residents parking permits for some areas because of this. They are setting up some kind of cross party group to look at its impact.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/search/?search=van+dwellers
    I won't be a street dweller ... I'd think it'd be a target for petty thieves and vandalism. Not really safe at night.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    If you are only spending 6-10k on a motorhome you are not going to get a reliable van with mod cons for that price. Be very careful that you either take someone who knows what to look for or get an RAC check.
    I think I will be spending £12k now .... just been out to a dealer. They had one they sold last week at about £13k.... so now I have to wait and see if he gets any more in. Even buying one means moving out of the area, which I can't do reallyy without it. Catch 22 when you're in a remote area.

I don't know anybody to take, RAC check seems a good idea... I don't plan to buy from a private person though.
    Surely if you drive you could maybe stay in a travel lodge for a couple of nights whilst you have your interview.
    No. Not practical. Imagine if the phone rang on Monday morning, could I be at an interview 200 miles away the next day, yes... so off I set.... get there and the phone rings, can I be at another interview 150 miles in the other direction the next day .... do both those, then the first people want a 2nd interview on the Friday morning. All of that and the original intention when I left home was to go to one interview and return home. Travel lodges, at short notice, can be £70/night or so. There's no guesses if I'd get any interviews, how often, where ... or how many I'd need to go to before I got a job. What if it's six months .... nine ..... more...?

A one off trip, interview, get the job, it's easy. But as I've not got the last five jobs I had interviews for, it's not likely.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Have you ever read Anya Peters' story? She lived in her car, initially in Brighton and later in London (Epping Forest, I think) for 9 months. I followed her blog at the time and have since read the book that was borne from her experiences, and how she ended up in the situation!
    No. Not heard of her. Lots of people live in their cars though, I had a friend once who lived in a car that didn't have an MoT, he didn't have a driving license either (he was driving it on the roads), then his gf moved in with him too.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Triker wrote: »

I'd do it like a shot...trouble is the hubby and the kids would miss me...:rotfl:.
    Yes, but think of the lovely postcards you could send them.... think of the joy on their faces when they got each one. DO IT!!
    :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I've had a quick look at campsite costs and it seems I can get a pitch on a proper site, with hook up for £8-12/night this time of year, so that's £250-350/month ... and those prices were in top tourist spots right by the beach and without too much digging around. I figured if I chose a town at random and rented a flat it'd be £500/month + £250 bills, so that's cheaper. Then there's the petrol, I'd be using my car anyway, so it's just a bit extra to use the van for that.

I plan to keep an eye out for those £9 travelodge rooms and if I can get one not far away once a month or so I can have a good old relax in a proper bed with a bath. I won't be doing much washing, I'll use my special Waynette/comfy/holiday-style clothes most of the time, work stuff would only get used when I've got a job. Once I have a job I just need enough clothes for two weeks, then it's a once fortnightly trip to the launderette. For towels/similar, I'll have enough to last 2 months and do a big wash once every two months of the backlog. Undies/socks etc can be washed by hand, a lot of sites have free hot water/washing rooms.

It'll be just me in what's supposed to be a 2-berth or 4-berth van... plenty of room for one tidy minimalist person who doesn't have lots of stuff.
  • houseboatdream
    Options
    There was a discussion about the costs of fulltiming on a motorhome forum of which I am a member recently. This was for ft in the UK staying on sites. General consesus was about £700 per month, including vehicle insurance, tax, mot etc, site fees, diesel and food. (thats for one person btw)
    Back after 9 years in France ... starting again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport