PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wild Living ... No Renting, No Buying, No Selling ...

Options
By popular request ... well, fc123 ... this is a thread about alternatives to renting or buying. Living wild.

Done it?
Dreaming of it?
Against it?

Tips, issues ... and LULZ.

Why? I'm going to go on the road and live in a van, because I am trapped where I am because it's geographically a jobs wilderness and I need to be 100-200 miles away for potential job interviews, so living wild (well, posh in a camper with flush toilets and showers in a block because I'm a wuss).....

Current stage: reading adverts, not seen any vans yet because (like everything) they're always a 300-500 mile round trip just to view them.

But, there is a motorhome thingy in Devon in 2.5 weeks, so I hope to poke about there and maybe decide/buy....

Second reason for starting the thread: ... fc123 has some hot lurve under canvas adventures to share with us.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No idea if it's of any use but this is my parents' gang: there a section on choosing a van for long haul journeys/ long term living
    http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    I lifted this link from a thread on this forum so you've probably already seen it but I'll repost it

1 year in a bus:-

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=94060&st=0
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not try a livaboard?

Or here
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much are you looking to spend on this motorhome?

Have you looked at any of the camping forums? Most have a motorhome forum and a "for sale" section.

And there are dedicated MH forums too.
  • fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Options
    It was a safety issue really...the poster who lived in a van with a baby may have more info...she wrote last night.

I lived in a tent on a campsite but was right at the back...and it was very empty during may/june. An oldish bloke who worked on the campsite came to my tent in middle of night, unzipped it and it could have been a not nice.
    I dealt with the situation and he then urinated over the roof of my tent (in protest I guess) as the spaces were on levels like big steps.
    No-one around so no -one could hear me scream. No mobiles in those days either.

I had forgotton about it until last night too...and I never told anyone at the time either as the then boyfriend would have really gone for him and it was one of those events I didn't want to 'magnify' further....and I was only 20.

.....it wasn't to scare you though...as I think it's a great idea esp for the summer........it was just a thought about safety really and a tent is a lot less securable than a van.

There's a campsite in S E London in Abbey wood. Lot of people camped up in the woods near us too....in the dogging carpark.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    No idea if it's of any use but this is my parents' gang: there a section on choosing a van for long haul journeys/ long term living
    http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/
    They seem to be trekking in dangerous and remote mountain regions around the world ... I was thinking "Devon".
    :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Why not try a livaboard?

Or here
    Boats can .... sink. Also, with a boat, you can't be enjoying a cream tea on the North Devon coast at 3pm one day, then take a phone call asking if you can be at interview at 10am tomorrow in Reading ... and be there.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    How much are you looking to spend on this motorhome?

Have you looked at any of the camping forums? Most have a motorhome forum and a "for sale" section.

And there are dedicated MH forums too.
    Budget is unsure. I hoped for £3k, but thought I might need to spend £6-8k ... but am aware it might go to £10k. I'd be too scared to spend more than £10k on a bit of metal with a wheel at each corner.

I've googled some stuff and found forums, most aren't, at the moment, particularly enthralling... I guess when a plan develops further I'll be more into those forums.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    fc123 wrote: »
    It was a safety issue really...the poster who lived in a van with a baby may have more info...she wrote last night.

I lived in a tent on a campsite but was right at the back...and it was very empty during may/june. An oldish bloke who worked on the campsite came to my tent in middle of night, unzipped it and it could have been a not nice.
    I dealt with the situation and he then urinated over the roof of my tent (in protest I guess) as the spaces were on levels like big steps.
    No-one around so no -one could hear me scream. No mobiles in those days either.

I had forgotton about it until last night too...and I never told anyone at the time either as the then boyfriend would have really gone for him and it was one of those events I didn't want to 'magnify' further....and I was only 20.

.....it wasn't to scare you though...as I think it's a great idea esp for the summer........it was just a thought about safety really and a tent is a lot less securable than a van.

There's a campsite in S E London in Abbey wood. Lot of people camped up in the woods near us too....in the dogging carpark.
    This is why I'm getting a proper van, staying on proper sites and generally being very aware of security. Until you've been there, or are old enough to know these things happen, it's easy to scoff at such precautions, but it only takes one nutter to spoil your life.

LOL/dogging carpark.
  • dealwithdebtdot
    Options
    I'd love to do something like this. But I do worry a little about not having an address.

Loved the blog on building and living in a tree house: http://huntergathercook.typepad.com/huntergathering_wild_fres/treehouse-diaries/
    Pay off as much as you can in 2012 challenge No. 64: 328.75/2,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family