New Post Advanced Search

Egypt Help!

32 replies 2.1K views
DazzaMcDazzaMc Forumite
795 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hi. I'm thinking of going to Egypt (Sharm el sheikh probably) later in the year, possibly Oct / Nov.
Going with 2 friends hopefully, but VERY concerned about the risks of being bombed! Does anyone know if any bombs have gone off in sharm recentley? I know there was a serious one in July 2005.

AND. I'm so confused about "cheap deals." It's my first holiday without parents and I'm clueless about the whole thing really. We're wanting to do some scuba diving - a company called Explorers do their own holidays and also a special scuba diver offer - £425 for 1 week with a £125 diver course included. Is it a good deal? Or am I better off booking the holiday with another company and booking the scuba diving seperately?

We're wanting to go for 10-14 nights ideally. Am I better off booking through teletext or travel agent or internet?

Anyone had good deals in past? Prices? Any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, scuba diving etc.. would be appreciated.

And has anyone got any other good destinations for scuba diving (With coral reef) not too far from England? (ie - no longer than 5 hour flight lol.)

THANKS!!

Darran

Replies

• Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a bombing incident in Dahab, not far from Sharm, in April of this year.

You might consider deferring a trip to the Sinai peninsula in the light of its proximity to Israel. No doubt you are aware of the current situation between Israel & Lebanon?
  • jetboyjetboy Forumite
    523 posts
    ✭✭
    I would be inclined to give that plan a wide berth for a while. In any case you can always pick up deals to Egypt at short notice in our winter months. If you want to head out in that direction stop at Cyprus til things calm down.
    Timmay!
  • psykikpsykik Forumite
    73 posts
    was in egypt recently. Been there lots now. Egypt is an ally of US in the arab conflict. Security is tighter now than before. I had a great time there. For all those warning you not to go, youll find similar numbers saying its ok.

Ive used explorers myself for a quick £179 week long break inc hotel and flights to sharm. Yes you can always book a diving package when you arrive, just ring round the main hotels when you arrive and take the best deal. Might actually save a bob or two.

Sometimes its nice to have it booked though, less hassle.

Best of luck!
    Val :)
  • I was in Egypt in August 2005 and it was fine.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• DazzaMcDazzaMc Forumite
    795 posts
    ✭✭✭
    The word confused springs to mind.

Is there another country I can go to that's good for scuba diving? Apparently egypt is the closest for tropical sea diving. Anywhere else that has a tropical sea that's not too far?
  • Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be confused.

Egypt is a big country. Unfortunately, Sharm is on the Sinai peninsula, which is very cose to Israel, and there have been recent terrorist attacks on tourists in the region. By contrast, Cairo is hundreds of miles further to the west, and there is no particular worry about going there. Security is tight throughout Egypt. This is partly due to the terrorist attacks, of which there have been only a few, and in part due to the type of state that it is in that it ensures that there is full employment by making people policemen if they're not doing anything else!

Sharm is the best place in Egypt for scuba diving. I don't know of any other places in Egypt for scuba diving.

You could try Rhodes in Greece for scuba diving.
  • lou29lou29 Forumite
    90 posts
    :D Went to Egypt in May 2006 had no problems at all. Security is really tight. Me and the family did loads of snorkeling and it was the best I have ever seen. I have been snorkeling in Mexico before but the Redsea is far better. The coral reefs are beautiful and there are also a lot of ship wrecks to explore.
    The bomb that went off in Dahab went off 2 weeks before we were about to leave every one told me to cancel but I stuck to my guns as I had heared so many great reports about the area. When we arrived we were so pleased with our descion as it is a fantastic place for all ages especially if you enjoy snorkeling as the sea is crystal clear . Go to Egypt you wont regret it. :T
  • black-saturnblack-saturn
    13.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Egypt is a huge country. The fighting is going on in Israel and Egypt are not involved in it.

There were bombs in London a year ago and London is always at the threat of terrorist attack but no one would think twice about going there.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • lou29lou29 Forumite
    90 posts
    My point exactly. I would have no qualms about going out there tommorow with my family. Terrorist threats are all over the World. Go to Sharm its brill.:j
  • DazzaMcDazzaMc Forumite
    795 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have any bombs gone off in sharm recentley? Haven't heard about any since those in july 05?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support