PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with Mint?

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Drink lots of Pimms - pre-empt summer.

Lots of recipes use mint - home made tzadziki (sp?), mint sauce, liven up new pototoes, some stir fries, just do a bit of googling.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • malamay
    malamay Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    Mojito cocktails - nice as the weather is getting warmer! I make cupcakes in this style as well, which I garnish with fresh mint when I have it.
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    I love the sond of all these drinks!! But I am 13 weeks pregnant... so no drinking for ages!!! whaa I love a glass of Vino!!

I will have a look round - thanks for the tips re potatoes etc food idea
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Courgette and mint go really well together I have a soup recipe somewhere and its lovely.Mint sauce,mint jelly, blackberry and mint jam,mint cordial um thats all I can think of off the top of my head :D

Here you go

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515998
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Mint's good with peas as well as new potatoes.

Denise
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 April 2013 at 2:13PM
    Options
    MINT SAUCE

Making your own mint sauce doesn’t make sense economically, unless you grow your own mint. A bunch of mint costs 65p, a jar of mint sauce can cost as little as 25p. However, before you buy it, read the ingredients on the jar.

INGREDIENTS

A large bunch of mint
    50g of sugar
    150ml of malt vinegar

METHOD

Wash the mint. Shake off any excess water.

If you have a food processor, put all the ingredients in it and process them until the mint is finely chopped.

If you have a hand blender, put all the ingredients in a bowl and blend them until the mint is finely chopped.

If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, finely chop the mint by hand. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Leave for 10 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve completely.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use granulated, caster or brown sugar.

PS. I hope the plant is in a pot. Mint spreads like Triffids. Even in a pot, it'll send out suckers.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    Steve059 wrote: »
    MINT SAUCE

Making your own mint sauce doesn’t make sense economically, unless you grow your own mint. A bunch of mint costs 65p, a jar of mint sauce can cost as little as 25p. However, before you buy it, read the ingredients on the jar.

INGREDIENTS

A large bunch of mint
    50g of sugar
    150ml of malt vinegar

METHOD

Wash the mint. Shake off any excess water.

If you have a food processor, put all the ingredients in it and process them until the mint is finely chopped.

If you have a hand blender, put all the ingredients in a bowl and blend them until the mint is finely chopped.

If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, finely chop the mint by hand. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Leave for 10 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve completely.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

Use granulated, caster or brown sugar.

PS. I hope the plant is in a pot. Mint spreads like Triffids. Even in a pot, it'll send out suckers.

This! I wish someone had told me before I (in my wisdom) planted it in the ground. It's been planted for around 5 years, it's killing the grass on the lawn and no amount of weeding kills it. My plan is to move house :rotfl:
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    ooh thank you!!

I love the sound of Mint and berry jam!!

will look into the courgette soup too xx

excited now = also found a Turkish soup recipe which has mint, so have plenty to try now!!

Thanks Guys - always get a good answer on OS
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This! I wish someone had told me before I (in my wisdom) planted it in the ground. It's been planted for around 5 years, it's killing the grass on the lawn and no amount of weeding kills it. My plan is to move house :rotfl:

Digging the bigger bits out and also using one of those "systemic" weedkillers should 'get it' ... in another 5 years.

Moving house may not work. It'll probably send out suckers and follow you.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's great in marinades, with baby potatoes, to make mint sauce used to decorate and as has been mentioned in drinks. There are lots more ideas in this thread:

What can I do with Mint?

I'll add this thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport