Call 1899/18185/18866 to charge per minute (merged)

Options
Just had an e-mail about some special offers, and noticed at the bottom this:

*Please note: from the 20th of July calls via 1899 will be billed per
minute.

Is this just for international calls - says nothing about it on their website, and the above statement would seem to be a sweeping statement - ie ALL calls made via 1899 will be billed per minute.

Dan

Comments

• ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    I dont think its for UK landline calls .
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Clearly states on their site.
    "Prices are in pence per minute. Calls are billed per minute rounded to the nearest penny, include VAT and are subject to change. 1899 calls are subject to a 3p connection fee."

So i guess that calls to 01/02 geo numbers will remain at just 3p connection for the moment.
    PF.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Think they've slipped in a change to the terms and conditions. Cable customers like me are charged 1p per minute. This has been billed per second with no rounding to nearest penny. (I've just looked at my online itemised charges to double check this).

Looks as if from 20 July our calls will be rounded to nearest penny. A very slight difference, but will probably mount up to a moderate price increase where calls get answered by 1571 or an answering machine. Difficult to cut off before machine answers as there is often no time for ringing tone between message of price per minute and phone being answered.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From 20th July 2006, 1899.com are billing by ther minute (rather than per seond)
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had an Email from 18185 with the following in small print "*Please note: from the 20th of July calls via 18185 will be billed per minute."

As (see thread above re 1899) they bill international calls by the minute currently - that has to relate to UK land lines? But nothing on their Web site.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote:
    Just had an Email from 18185 with the following in small print "*Please note: from the 20th of July calls via 18185 will be billed per minute."

As (see thread above re 1899) they bill international calls by the minute currently - that has to relate to UK land lines? But nothing on their Web site.

Even if they did bill 01/02 calls by the minute,as they are zero p a minute for 1899/18185/18866 access,you would still only pay the connection charge.

Cable and Mobile Users using 020 and 0808 access numbers would pay more.
    PF.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Putting this into perspective and using a recent 18185 call (1p/minute) to Spain as an example:

16m16s cost 4p connection + 16.27p = 20.27p

The length of that call will now be rounded up to 17m00s so,

17m00s will cost 4p connection + 17p = 21p

I don't think another mortgage is going to be needed!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • orsonkart_2
    orsonkart_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    So i will end up paying slightly more for my mobile and peak ngn calls on 18185

I guess it looks better then them increasing connection charges further.
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Please note: from the 20th of July calls via 18185 will be billed perminute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure