New Post Advanced Search

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2010 at 10:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
998 replies 74.1K views

Replies

• KornishkatKornishkat Forumite
    83 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spent another 19p on Friday, I've updated my sig accordingly. Here's to a NSD for everyone (hopefully!)
    Back on the money saving wagon again!
  • edited 14 March 2010 at 10:37AM
    winterfrostwinterfrost Forumite
    95 posts
    edited 14 March 2010 at 10:37AM
    Done the big shop for this week, but I suspect I will be over budget as there are still a few more things I need, plus one day of work-bought-lunch. As I was almost £2 under for the month so far, am hoping that maybe it will balance out.
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
  • loulou0327 wrote: »
    I'm gracefully bowing out of this months grocery challenge, not because it's not possible but because we had a MAJOR rethink on how we budget monthly for all our out goings and have added a weekly aspect to it.
    It's complicated to explain but makes it easier for us but would bear no resemblance to the old budget or how we we account for groceries.
    So I will be back in for April but my grocery budget will be fluctuating month to month depending on how many weeks there are rater than days.
    If anyone does have that gluten free chocolate cake recipe with brandy it would be most appreciated even after mothers day it sounds yummy (brandy is my mums drink of choice too, which is great!)
    I'll keep posting and asking silly food questions, till then if that's ok?

i'll have a hunt out of the book tomorrow and hope to post it then for you

poppy
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to pop in and say hi and give a quick update on where we are with our challenge. I've been really busy over the past week or so and haven't had time to post or read unfortunately (28 pages already!!!)

We have however been sticking religiously to keeping receipts, asking questions of ourselves in terms of do we need it and making what we do buy last across days which has been truly cost effective. :cool:

Having the pocket money has eradicated completely wasteful spending and means I don't get grumpy with OH 'cos he's spent 'our' money. :D

I've just updated our spreadsheet (and sig below) for what we have spent and we're both really chuffed that we have got to our halfway point of the month and are under half of the budget spend at £128.97/280. Amazingly we are also at half target for no spend days too. :j

I really thinks it is helping us both - I make sure that OH sees the progress (and progress it truly is) - so we are working together on this, taking responsibility and supporting each other in the challenge. Bonus all around. :cool:

So it just remains to say thank you all once again for your fantastic initiative and caring support which is helping to completely change our way of looking at life (and benefitting the finances!).

Happy Mothers Day to all fellow Mums out there :A
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh Poppy, bara brith is now in the front page recipe index. :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing Rosieben mention the bara brith reminded me that I made the malt loaf from my Mum's 1956 Good Housekeeping book last weekend (rosie kindly added to the recipe list at the front) with the granddaughter. I thought you might like to have a bit of feedback.

Although I increased the fruit a bit I will increase it further next time. I also think I'll soak the fruit (maybe in black tea) before using it to make it a little more moist. I don't think I'll chop all the fruit up either. I chickened out of completely replacing the golden syrup with black treacle and went for half and half (it looked so dark in the pan I panicked!). And finally I need to cook it for a little less time - the recipe was drawn up long before fan assisted ovens - as some edges were just verging on overcooked.

So the result, it was dark but going the whole hog with the Black treacle would get it to roughly the same colour as soreen. It was definitely drier than soreen (more bread like and easier to slice) but tasted absolutley gorgeous spread with good Welsh butter. Increasing and soaking the fruit will hopefully resolve the moisture issue. All in all, am I going to make (and eat ;)) it again? You bet! :D
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • alipops1986alipops1986 Forumite
    673 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just spent another £8.80 at Sainsbury's as decided i need a bit more stuff for my tea with the parents that i'm responsible for!

Thankfully, i'm away 28th March until 1st April, so i won't need any food or be in the country to buy any haha.

Thus, although i've only probably got £20 ish quid, that's only for the wk after this one, shouldn't need much. THen, on my return it'll be April's grocery challenge and a new budget, that's my only savings grace!! haha

Off to update the signature xx
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014 :j
  • Good morning everyone,

still on budget for this month. Have not bought any cakes or biscuits since Christmas. Either bake or continue eating my way through the mountain of boxes of biscuits I received at Christmas. Must admit I have bought sweets and chocolate bars when temptation proves too strong.

Off now to prepare veg for lunch. Having pork with apple sauce and plenty of fresh veg. There will probably be some meat left over either for lunches or for freezing.

Hope everyone has a frugal day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi and Happy Mothers Day to all you Mums out there!

Off to SIL's for lunch today - first invite in a long long time, so am looking forward to that.

On the GC front, I had a small spend of £4.92 yesterday in MrT. Just some breakfast bakery goodies for this morning and a tin of black treacle for a ginger cake (MrW recipe book). It's cooking now and smells delish.

Our GC ends next Sunday and aside from some cereal, dog food, and F&V I think we should be okay. I will buy the Easter Eggs this week as they are on offer (97p in MrT) so that will be another £12 but as Easter is early this year I want to get them now at that price, plus there's money in the budget to do so!

Have a great day everyone.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • edited 14 March 2010 at 3:45PM
    aliaddsaliadds Forumite
    26.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2010 at 3:45PM
    Haven't spent anything since the grocery delivery on Wednesday so on target so far! Quite pleased with the lower branded items I bought this week. The value soap powder does the job. My whites still look lovely on the line:). And the own brand coffee is perfectly acceptable. I've tasted much worse:o.
    The sun is shining......the cake tin is full, the heating is off and I have 2 days off work this week so life is good!:j
    Less is more