The 'No More Buying DVDs Until I Have Watched the Ones I Already Own' Thread

Options

Comments

• Giggles86
    Giggles86 Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't completed any yet, but not seeing my OH as he's properly snowed in means I'm working my way through Frozen Planet and CSI Season 9 I only have one disc left of each to watch and it depends how awake I am as to which one I watch. I'm trying to be good with LoveFilm as well so am watching QI as I do other things this evening so I can post it back.
    *2014 £365/365days - £52/£365* *20p Savers club #17 £12.00/£50*
    March 2014 NSD 0/15 take lunch to work march 0/21
    sealed Pot Challenge #260
    NMB books: 6/94+ NMB DVDs: 13/67
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away."
  • Giggles86
    Giggles86 Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    Finished CSI season 9 and Charmed Season 8, meaning 2 DVDs watched :) I've started the last disc of ER season 4 (it's not really that long since I watched the other 2 discs)
    *2014 £365/365days - £52/£365* *20p Savers club #17 £12.00/£50*
    March 2014 NSD 0/15 take lunch to work march 0/21
    sealed Pot Challenge #260
    NMB books: 6/94+ NMB DVDs: 13/67
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away."
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Options
    i think i need to join this thread. we moved into a wee cottage last summer and decided that we didn't have the room or the desire for shelves of DVDs everywhere. therefore we stuffed them all into the drawers in the base of the spare bed and forgot about them :D daft, i know, as they are just taking up room as they are not easily accessible to watch.

we have a basic LoveFilm membership, however DH does have a habit of smuggling boy films in with the shopping occasionally because he's too impatient to wait for LoveFilm...

i know we have a lot of DVDs under the bed that

a) we've never watched
    and
    b) we will never watch again

therefore, my plan is that sometime in the VERY near future i will dig out all our DVDs and sort through them, either selling or donating the ones we'll never watch again, and piling up the ones we haven't watched next to the TV so that they annoy the hell out of me until we've watched them :D

how does that sound?

*meep*
    TP
    :coffee:
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Mortgage at start [20/6/12]: £151,800/MFD Jun 2035 (age 65)
    Mortgage now [5/11/14]: £139,212.14/MFD Oct 2029 (age 59)
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Options
    er. ahem.

so i’ve been through my spreadsheet and worked out that we have 516 items in our collection. this includes normal film DVDs, box sets (counted as one) and films on our hard drives. i’ve highlighted some ones that we’ve watched and that i think we can definitely get rid of, but need the DH to agree before taking any action.

however what i can say is that i have 76 items to watch, two of which are box sets or parts of box sets. 63 of these are on DVD and the rest on a hard drive...which is a little more fiddly for me to set up as i’d need to connect my laptop to the tv.

my DH is being deployed for 2 weeks shortly, so i plan to watch some of the films i either know he’s already watched or won’t want to watch. here’s the list:
    A Handful of Dust
    Babylon A.D.
    Beowulf
    Bitter Moon
    Contact
    Juno
    La Dolce Vita
    Like Water For Chocolate
    Love Story
    No Country For Old Men
    Paradise Lost
    Penelope
    Slap Her, She's French
    Sunshine
    The Beach
    The Island
    The Science of Sleep
    Dear John
    Me, You And Everyone We Know
    Ondine
    Snow White: A Tale of Terror
    The Hole
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

also, what are your thoughts about putting all your DVDs onto a hard drive to run through an entertainment system? would you have to keep the hard copies as proof of purchase for copyright reasons? i’m guessing so, but am not sure how digital versions of films stand legally, and we were hoping not to have to keep loads of DVDs as backups...
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Personal Library 2014
    :starmod: Read in 2014: 57/60 :starmod: In Progress: 2 :starmod: Books In: 94 :starmod: Books Out: 12 :starmod: TBR: 847 :starmod:
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i have so failed with this challenge, well its more my DH he hoards dvds he hasnt even got round to admitting the videos are useless so we still have all of those as well.

I think we should be careful how we phrase what we say and be more positive: we have not failed, we are just going to do much better in the near future! :D;)
    also, what are your thoughts about putting all your DVDs onto a hard drive to run through an entertainment system? would you have to keep the hard copies as proof of purchase for copyright reasons? i’m guessing so, but am not sure how digital versions of films stand legally, and we were hoping not to have to keep loads of DVDs as backups...

I'm not sure about that, but I have had the same problems with my CDs: I have bought a large box with space for all my CDs and have donated cases to the charity shop, and have kept the insided sleeves to the CDs in a bag. I will have to find a box to put them in, or throw them away, but I REALLY don't want to do that, as sometimes the information is useful. What to do, what to do?!

I've just watched another DVD! :j OK, so my UU (use up) rate is very slow, but it's better than nothing, and the film was the excellent M by Fritz Lang, which is now over 80 years old and still totally relevant. Can't wait to see more of his work! :T
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Thrifty_Pixie
    Options
    i watched two films over the weekend, but both were recent recordings on the hard-drive. doh!
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Personal Library 2014
  • Thrifty_Pixie
    Options
    InaPickle wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that, but I have had the same problems with my CDs: I have bought a large box with space for all my CDs and have donated cases to the charity shop, and have kept the insided sleeves to the CDs in a bag. I will have to find a box to put them in, or throw them away, but I REALLY don't want to do that, as sometimes the information is useful. What to do, what to do?!

i know! i thought of putting them all in a file box...you know with the wallets for just the discs that you flip through...but then i wouldn't want to get rid of the boxes in case i wanted to sell them....so i'd end up storing the boxes somewhere anyway! grr.
    Mortgage-Free Wannabe
    Personal Library 2014
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    InaPickle wrote: »
    I think we should be careful how we phrase what we say and be more positive: we have not failed, we are just going to do much better in the near future! :D;)

thank you, we are trying harder to watch stuff
    i gave millers crossing to my mum as we watched it and wouldnt watch it again
    hanna and wrecked are earmarked to pass on

watched three musketeers, lord of the rings (again) iron man and columbiana over the last week

even gave ali g the movie to a CS which was probablly unfair as they sell them for 20p so it will probably be sitting around forever.:o

also made a start finally on watching prison break we have the complete set i bought it for DH a couple of christmases ago and wed never found time to watch any, but tonight we are on episode 3:T
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I watched No Country For Old Men yesterday as well. Pretty good indeed, but had to watch the end twice to get it properly.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    agree no country is well worth a couple of watches, its in DH definately keep pile.

watched the terminal friday night, enjoyed it but hoping we can pass it on to my mum as its a one watch
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure