'American Style' Samsung Fridge Freezer (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have three Samsung tv's, two S 3 phones and a American fridge freezer. Never had any problems with any of them, luck of the drawer I suppose.Mod carried out on the fridge freezer in 2007 after Samsung contacted us, no problems since.
  • DomSez
    DomSez Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Once again, my Samsung RC21DCNS American-style fridge/freezer isn't playing ball lately, but in the freezer side. It may be a door-seal issue as there are times when I close the freezer, the display continues to read -18C, yet when I next go to it (usually a few hours later), it's like the door has been open and things have started to defrost. It's like the sensor isn't realising the door is slightly ajar and so isn't beeping.

Normally, if I close it, I can salvage what's in there. However, recently things got worse.

I estimated that the door could've been open as long as from last Sunday evening to Tuesday morning. I didn't need to go into the freezer on the Monday as before work I had sandwiches that were in the fridge, and in the evening, I had some carbonara, also in the fridge. Only when I went into the freezer on Tuesday morning for a ready meal did I spot any problems...

In this situation, I'm trying to work out whether the meat in there has defrosted (beyond usability) and refrosted.

The ice has melted enough in the ice bucket at the top to the point where it's 'bled' water over everything, making it look like Mr Freeze has been in and covered it with ice. And the ice bucket contents have frozen so I can't get the bucket out and if I try, the plastic parts in there, which are still attached to the machine, will surely break.

Now, without panicking, I know that non-chicken-y meat things will be okay. However, I did end up having a Tesco BBQ Chicken and rice ready meal on Friday, taking it to work without realising (as I was not awake at the time of making the choice) and it was okay. But then that chicken was presumably already cooked.

I have some chicken in there which was bought raw and then frozen, as you do, so presumably that will have to go.

I think the same also goes for some Piri Piri chicken 2-portion thing from Aldi.

Also, I have a couple of Macaroni Cheese ready meals that, due to their milk/egg/etc content, should really go in the bin also. (The fridge side had issues last year, warmed up, and I stupidly ate some pasta sauce that had egg content, so I'm trying to avoid that this time)

I also suspect that a 4 Tesco chicken kievs will have to go because their site says it "contains raw meat", although whether it's actually chicken and not horse is a matter of debate.

I can't work out, though, if the meat has defrosted and refrosted (since stuff in in the bottom two drawers of the freezer - like the BBQ Chicken ready meal - weren't covered in icy water and so look fine)

BTW, following my last post, I did manage to get the money for the repair back from Samsung, after a hell of a lot of arguing though, so I'm not sure if this would classify as a known fault they have to fix at their cost.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=65576618&postcount=672

Thanks for any advice.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DomSez
    Options
    Does anyone know the answer to this, please? I still haven't found a solution, and Samsung only want to charge me to look at it so I'm hoping there's a simple solution. Thanks.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Latif
    Latif Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi everyone, my samsung american fridge model RS25KGRS, fridge area temp is goes upto 13 degree and come back at night time when not in use. freezer is working perfectly. can anybody please advise me how to fix this problem. thanks
  • pilsbury2017
    Options
    Hi there
    Just wanted to say thank you to Steve post #501 on this thread. Following his instructions I carefully dismantled the inside back of my Samsung fridge RSH1DBRS fridge freezer and used a hairdryer to get rid of the ice build-up on and around the fan (although I was unable to remove the electrical connectors I was just about able to still point the dryer in the right place and then wipe up any water that melted into the bottom of the fridge afterwards). And as my other half will tell you, I am NOT normally a handy person and so am v chuffed that i have fixed the issue! BTW I did ring Samsung first to tell them my model and say I had the bad whirring noise which is a known issue with the fan etcetc but when I gave them my serial number, they said that my fridge was not an affected unit so I'd have to pay for an engineer to come out... Thanks a mil Steve!
  • DomSez
    Options
    I'm having trouble removing a stuck ice bucket. It used to come out fine but now just won't budge at all. I want to remove it as I've bought a replacement ice maker unit and want to swap that over, but I can't until I get the ice bucket out. Thanks.
  • DRU
    DRU Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi Pottermick

I just wondered where you got with your faulty fridge freezer that caught fire as my RSE8JPUS SAMSUNG FREEZER leaked smoke and gas yesterday morning. Luckily we were awake and around when it happened. It's been written off by our British Gas Homecare Engineer and wondered if we could persue this through Samsung hence wondering how you got on with them?
  • William_B_G
    Options
    Hi,

Co-incidentally I seem to have the same problem and have identified the source. The reason the noise stops when you open the door is because this action de-activates the cooling fan (this is certainly the case with my problem).You close the door, the fan starts up and the 'noise' returns. What is likely to be the cause is a build up of ice in behind the rear panel, on the cooling "fins", which eventually comes into contact with the fan blades. There are many videos on utube highlighting this problem and showing how to DIY. Bearing in mind if your fridge is still in "warranty" you may negate it if you do . I removed all the food in the fridge compartment (and the shelves) and applied heat via my wife's hair drier into the various vents. Be careful you don't overheat the plastic surfaces. Basically I melted the ice that had built up. Problem solved until the next time.

The bigger issue here is the appalling after sales service from Samsung, going on line soon confirms this claim. The call centres are completely useless.
  • seatbeltnoob
    Options
    My rs21 was purchased in 2003. We had 1 repair done under the 5 year warranty which fixed a common fault. Just recently I watched youtube repair videos to carry out a defrost heater replacement (common fault) and now the fridge freezer is working perfectly.

Consider fridge freezers are designed to last just outside warranty period I think this unit has done well. 14 years to date. Originally purchased for well over £1000. Now it's available to buy used for £60 (collection only) on ebay/gumtree etc. Great if you have a van with lift.
  • steven07968
    Options
    Mine now leaks after using the chilled water facility, with the water taking some time to chill afterwards. Is this also a known issue, and easy fix?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback