'American Style' Samsung Fridge Freezer (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Christie
    Christie Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I`ve just checked there website and it says refridgeration has a 24 month warranty, my FF is actually only 16 months old not 18 as I first thought. I`ll be on to them first thing in the morning as the office was closed when I tried to call today. Thanks for all your help.
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Hi all, we too had major problems with our Samsung FF - Samsung themselves didn't want to know as it was nearly 4 yrs old and there 'recommended' repairers were useless. Short story: repairers left me without a ff for 5 weeks (my children were 3 and 9 months at the time). i had to store milk etc outside in the cold weather! They charged me for a unit the ff didn't even need and totally mis diagnosed it. We got it repaired by a car air con bloke in the end (and will use him in the future now!!) but managed to complain to the repair company and got £150 in compensation from them!!!
    We also told Samsung that we will never buy one of their products again...they didn't seem that bothered!
    Trading Standards did say though, although my warranty time was up, 4 years was not much time for a ff to pack up and they should have repaired it any way...
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    Oh boy! I thought we had just been unlucky, but reading this.....

We got one last August, came back from a New Year holiday and it was making a dreadful racket and the fridge would go from 3 degrees up to 15, then back down to 3.

Obviously still under warranty, so we got it fixed, but it doesn't look like the story will end there....

Thanks for the tips on fixing it myself. Looks like I may be needing to....

Surely Samsung should be recalling them if it is a common fault?
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • simonts
    simonts Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    well thats put me off the £549 american style on offer in comet atm
    Debt Free Marathon: Start 01/06/09 £16714 - Current Position £14514 - Finish Line Xmas 2010
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    simonts wrote:
    well thats put me off the £549 american style on offer in comet atm

If it's any help ours is the RS21 series (don't know if it's a particular model that is spannered!)

I would personally recommend AGAINST buying Samsung
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • Christie
    Christie Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well they are sending someone out to fix it on Monday. I do`nt know why Copmet don`t tell you that you have a 2 year warranty, surely they must know.
  • pmat
    pmat Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    glad most of you are getting good news regarding warranties. just ensure anyone you know who has one of these !!!!!! knows about the possible problem development ......and the 2 year warranty.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,001 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ahhh! Just ordered a RS21 samsung FF.

Anyone know if they've rectified the design fault?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • busymumof3
    Options
    Is the fault with a particular model does anyone know? Ours is an RS21 and a whole lot of other numbers but has the water filter in the inside which twists into place as oppposed to the external kind.

Is a year old and no problems so far. Did purchase the extended warrenty for once as it was a special deal from Comet at the time. Checking out everyones experience with interest.
  • Terry_Nuttall
    Options
    I have (or had) the RS21 model, developed the same problem as everyone else, ie fridge freezing up etc. Had an engineer out to fit the re-designed faulty part and guess what?

The fridge failed again with the same fault less than four days later. I had engineer visits three times in a one month period after which i decided that enough was enough, I rang Comet and played merry hell, i also emailed Samsung to complain and request that the fridge was replaced. This morning Comet rang and told me they would replace my fridge freezer with a model of my choice (does not have to be Samsung - Thankfully) up to the same value, all i have to do is go to my local store with a ref number they gave me and choose an alternative.

My fridge was 13 months old when the problem first developed, and incidently Comet neglected to tell me about the two year warranty and even sent me out and set up an extended warranty after one year - So beware.

Whilst all this was going on i spoke to a local service engineer who was in the know, he told me that under EU regulations any item fitted with a plug must now carry a two year warranty so that might be worth checking out with the local Trading Standards.

Anyway, the moral to this is: shout loud enough at the right people and you wiil get what you want eventually within reason, make sure to talk to the people at the top and the manufacturer.

Good luck to you all.

I was fortunate enough to get the problem repaired within the two year guarantee period but I rang a trading standards department listed in Yellow Pages, at the begining of the listings, who said I could have grounds for complaint AFTER the warranty had expired.

He explained the Goods and Services Act, written at the begining of the Yellow Pages, which lasted for six , yes six, years after the product was purchased. I told him about a design fault, which he thought was a good reason for them to repair the product outside the warranty period.

He told me to put my complaint in writing to Samsung and quote the Goods and Services Act. He advised me to mention that I had contacted the local trading standards department , who were aware of the complaint. They had to reply within a week, I think.

I didn't go down this route but for those who do "Good luck"

Shamrock.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport