Great What to Buy in Duty Free Hunt

Options

Comments

• Nightnurse_2
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what the allowance for cigarettes and alcohol is coming in from Majorca?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    they were MORE expensive at alicante airport than the local tabac

Ciggies in Spain are always cheaper at the Tabac's, they are fixed priced and government controlled, so they will be more expensive in so called Duty Free, and everywhere else.

There was until about 4 months ago a Tabacs at Alicante Airport, however it has now closed, I was told it was due to pressure from the ( so called ) Duty Free Shop/s.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Nightnurse wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the allowance for cigarettes and alcohol is coming in from Majorca?

Strictly speaking there is no limit as long as they are for your personal consumption, however the UK Customs & Duty state that each passenger can bring up to 3500 ( maybe 3600 ) ciggies without any questions being asked.

That is an individual amount, so 2 people can double that, see my previous post on buying cigs in Spain.;)
  • mikki2d
    mikki2d Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another thing to look out for is cheap pharmaceutical products. Zovirax cream costs about £6 here and £1.50 in Spain.
  • Inspector
    Inspector Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I am no expert on VAT & Duty Free, and have little experience of countries beyond the Eastern edge of the EU, but here are a few pointers.

Perhaps someone can give us the details on the following list of
    asomaly countries, that are sort-of part of Europe:

N.Cyprus
    Andorra
    Liechenstein
    Monaco
    San Marino
    Isle of Man
    Channel Islands
    Canary Islands
    Ceuta
    Switzerland
    etc.

No duty free here on the IOM
  • Toadyg
    Toadyg Posts: 5 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget that if you buy booze or aftershave/perfume etc. abroad you will not currently be able to take it through airport security if it's in a larger bottle than 100 ml, which rules out (almost?) all booze...

We recently had to put a decent bottle of South African wine in our suitcase because we were not prepared to ditch it or drink it at the check-in desk!
  • aycor
    aycor Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am traveling to iceland later in the year and would like to know about where to buy the duty free.
    I know booze is expensive there and want to buy as I depart or as I have been told do I buy as I arrive there as it will be cheaper :beer:
  • sdfbailey
    Options
    I bought a 80Gb ipod video in Dubai for £179 which I thought was rather reasonable. Best price I found in UK (DABS) was £220 ish.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi.
    best deals are when you are flying outside the EU

I always fly from Manchester, best deal

5 x 1 litre bottles, Bells whisky, gordons gin, vodka, think there was another include, (mix and match or buy 5 of 1 ), price £35.00

Absolute bargain, also at the till point, again, outside EU flights, they do 35cl (half bottle) £2.99 inc White + Mckye scotch ( soz excuse the spelling), gin and I think vodka

I cheat stock up on the £2.99 bottles and putthem up for xmas prezzies.

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Big_Nige
    Big_Nige Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    All I can tell you on this one is that duty free was available when I visited last year. buy at the airport. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ON ST. WENCESLAS SQUARE AND CERTAINLY DON'T GO NEAR THE EXCHANGE BUREAUX. A REAL BUNCH OF THIEVES!!!!!!!!!

The Czech Rep. has the same restrictions on alcohol & tobacco as the Canary Islands, 200 cigs & 1L spirits etc, this I found out the hard way at Glasgow airport when a nice lady from customs shooed me along with 5 cartons of cigarettes & a stern warnng (where is John Smeaton when you need him) . So even though it is an EU country Mr Blair in his wisdom didn't want us importing £10 cartons of cigs.
    Every day above ground is a good day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport