🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PC World Rentsmart conned me!!!

Options

Comments

• vjs72
    Options
    I am amazed just how many folk have been taken in by curry's "Rent Smart Infinity"

I did not even know that i was in a lease until an hour ago. I purchased a Samsung tablet for my daughter, Christmas 2012 and like many that i have read on here, had money in my bank ready to purchase this product.

unfortunately i was conned into buying the product over two years. I was eager not to do this, even when we were at the till i questioned her informing her of my doubts of paying for a product over this amount of years and paying almost double for the product.

I was told that it would cover the tablet for damages, and any other unexpected problems. She also gave me two norton security and a cloud card, and yet i was still doubtful.

However, with stupidity on my part, and her stubornness to accept cash, i reluctantly signed the agreement and went home.

Two years on and pleased that the tablet was almost paid for i rang curry's asking them what happened once my final payment had been made on the tablet, and was given a number to contact.

It turned out to be rent smart. I could not believe that there were options. 1) exchanging item for new product 2) carry on paying for the item 3) cancel DD and return item.

"Return item?" i thought. Now why would i do that? I have paid double for this tablet and now i have to return i?. Obviously i was not happy and so when a young man came on and i informed him of what i wanted to do, he basically told me where to go.

I am unable to do anything as yet, as there are three months to go. I refuse to pay a penny more after December's payment. I refuse to exchange it for another item and carry on paying. I want to keep this tablet, my daughters tablet, which she love's to death.

I did ring curry's up and was told in a round about way, "serves, me right."

I asked him, if he would sit and read each word of an agreement before signing. And guess what? YES HE WOULD!!

So, i as like many others on this thread, i am not happy. I wish i had read this agreement through and realise what i was actually signing into. Like other's, i am not in a business, or can i even recall saying i was.

I feel as though i have been conned into this. And even though i may be too late to do anything, i just hope that others do not get caught up in this loathsome agreement, like we have.

Good luck to you all, and remember, read the small print.
    Regards.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vjs72 wrote: »
    I am amazed just how many folk have been taken in by curry's "Rent Smart Infinity"
    This is a big and old thread, but I'll just ask, as many others have already done, why did you think you were purchasing the item if you signed a RENTAL agreement? It's even called "RENTsmart".

No one has posted of any success with this.
  • vjs72
    Options
    I have signed many agreements in the past, and i was not informed it was a lease, otherwise i would not have even agreed to it. Phones i am fine with, but not expensive items like this. Also, the lady said it was mine at the end of the two years, i signed with a semi-clear concious..

I'd even purchased a laptop after christmas, i paid six monthly payments via contract and still have it two years on, all paid for and mine... I did get this item by another sales person in curry's and not an over-keen girl who needed a bonus in her christmas wages.

And yes, i know the thread is years old, but i am really angry. I hate being conned like this. I suppose with the crappy year i have had, i may as well have another bad thing to add to the list..

In future i will read contracts through, no matter if the shop has a big queue, they can wait their turn or come back another time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i was not informed it was a lease,
    Since RENT is another word for lease, I fail to see how you can claim you were not informed. Anything you claim you were "told" by the shop assistant is simply "hearsay" and does not tally with the agreement you signed.
    In future i will read contracts through, no matter if the shop has a big queue, they can wait their turn or come back another time.
    Seems like a sensible option that everyone should adopt. Do remember also that you have the right to cancel any such agreement you sign in haste by taking advantage of the "cooling off" period (after reading the terms and conditions at your leisure)
  • Silverhair
    Options
    I recently signed a lease agreement and hadn't read the details of the agreement before signing. I only had the bare details from the young lady who served me. It was made to appear very easy and simple but in my haste to come away with my new computer I soon realised the mistake I had made. When I finally got around to realising what it was going to cost me over the course of the 2yr. leasing I could have kicked myself. I did eventually speak to the Curry's manager regarding this and he referred me to RentSmart to see if I could cancel the contract. However, when I read the contract carefully it stated you cannot cancel the leasing agreement. I don't blame anyone but myself for this predicament but will never sign an agreement again in a store. Take a copy home and read it first will be my motto. I will keep all the agreement paperwork in case there are problems at the end of the leasing as it appears a lot of people have had. I think PCworld/Currys reputation is compromised with this type of selling and hope they heed all of the complaints regarding it.
  • Silverhair
    Options
    When the lease contract ends I will count my losses, pay the 3 extra instalments which will give me the ownership of the computer and become a free agent to buy outright in the future. To rub salt into the wound, about 2 weeks after the deal the computer price was reduced by £30! Ah well, you live and learn.
  • Eloise32
    Options
    My father-in-law took a lease out with Currys/PC World in Feb 2012, at £25.18 p/m. At the time of purchase, he was verbally informed by the sales advisor that he would get £200 cash back at the end of the term if he upgraded with the newest model and took out another Infinity contract or he could simply keep the original one. His contract term ends in Jan 15, and he has checked the contract, which states he can get 25% cash back off the value of the original computer/tablet when he returns his old computer/tablet and upgrade to the very latest model with Infinity, or he can hand back his computer/tablet and end the agreement. It would be fairly obvious that he would choose the former option, however the option he was given at the point of purchase was £200 cash back. Now, there is nothing in the contract to this effect. The value of the iPad is £329. Personally, the offer should really be 25% cash back based on the value of the latest model, but hey ho.

He doesn't, and shouldn't have to lose out, and only get £82.50. Neither does he want to take another contract. Personally, he wants to keep the tablet, but cannot. Where does he stand?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he hasn't got the £200 offer in writing he shouldn't sign the paperwork, the words of a sales person in a shop (someone who could have been working out their notice or been fired the next day) are, unfortunately, worthless as he can't prove the conversation happened - all he can do is use what it says on the contract he signed and for future reference, read both what he is signing and get any offers like that put down in writing.
  • Eloise32
    Options
    Thanks Nasqueron. The word of a sales advisor means naff all. It's the same with Sky TV reps in shopping centres. They lie about installation dates being immediate so they can obtain their commission and then move on, and the contact centres have to take the flak when the install dates end up taking weeks!
  • staffie123
    Options
    my mum went into pcworld/currys to buy a laptop , she came out renting 1, when she told me it was to late to do a thing about , but she said at least I can buy it after the 2 yrs for around £60, well 2 yrs are nearly up and guess what , no she cant, we have approached pc world with no help ,yet one of their salepeople told us just yesterday had he been there when she rented this he would not have recommended this sort of action for her or for that matter any person over retirement age . she will end up paying over £800 for a laptop she can never own and yet we have been told it will be sold on to 3rd world country for around £60 to £100 so they make money again . shame on you rentsmart
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport