red lentils

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
208 replies 27.6K views

Replies

• BoomdockerBoomdocker Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Now I know I can google recipes and I have but what I would really like are some recommended favourites. I am not vegetarian but I don't always fancy meat so any type of recipe would be very welcome. I found a bag of yellow split peas for 10p in my local Wilkinsons and I have also just bought a bag of red lentils as I wish to try something new and also perhaps eat something a little healthier and of course save some cash. So, do you have a lentil/pea favourite that you would be happy to share? Thank you. Boom. x
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • livalotlivalot Forumite
    193 Posts
    Hi Boomdocker

I regularly make a cheese and lentil bake as everyone in the family loves it both hot and cold (and we are not vegetarians!) ..... I just use whatever veg I need to use up instead of the red pepper in the reicpe ...... just make sure that the mixture is quite dry when you put it into bake or it will come out too soft and be difficult to cut. It makes a lot so you will usually have some leftover .....I love it sliced in my sarnies next day. Anyway here's the link
    cheese and lentil bake

Livalot X
  • blue-katblue-kat Forumite
    453 Posts
    ✭✭
    a few of my regulars :
    split pea and ham soup with carrots and celery + butter, there's a Delia recipe called some thing 'old peculiar' referring to London fog. very solid and filling !
    lots of similar recipe.
    I use Knorr pork stock cubes in place of ham stock.

I often come back to the nice simple lentil soup with lemon juice from Rose Elliot book

another cupboard regular is lentil + split peas and patak curry paste to make a simple and quick dahl.
  • Used to make a delicious red lentil curry .Remember it had coconut milk and pineapple in it. If I ever get round to sorting out a mountain of cookery books in the spare room I might find the recipe and make it again
  • Hi Boomdocker, I often make a lentil chilli, which is really tasty. Just cook the lentils/ peas/beans etc until they are done, meanwhile cook chopped onion, tinned tomatoes, bit of tomato puree, garlic in a pan, when lentils are cooked add to tomato mix and continue cooking. Then add chilli powder to your liking and serve with rice or jacket potatoes. Very cheap, filling and delicious! Hope that helps.
    Feb 2008 Grocery Challenge £160, Spent £163.48
    March 2008 Grocery Challenge £160 Spent £206.70
    April 2008 Grocery Challenge £180 Lost count:eek:
    May 2008 Grocery Challenge £150
    Spent : £148.72
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya :)

I've added your question onto an earlier thread about red lentils which has quite an assortment of recipes in it.

Other threads which might be of interest are:-

What to do with lentils???

What to do with lentils?

Using lentils and split peas

Chickpea, Lentils, Kidney beans and other pulses - some questions!!

Lentils

Pulses quick questions thread.

Pulses Novice needs HELP!!!!

What to do with dried split peas?

HTH :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • kaydnkaydn Forumite
    251 Posts
    Am considering using dried lentils to bulk out mince and stews but have a couple of questions
    1 How do I use them
    2 Does it alter the taste
    3 Are they hidden in mince as have a fussy DD and DH who would probably see it as hippy lol

thanks in anticipation
    Kathy
  • I tried this for the first time at the weekend in a lasagne and it worked really well.
    1. You boil them first (I didnt realise this - put them in with my frying veggies and then had to hand pick the lentils out, oh dear).
    2. Not really
    3. I just did a veggie one so not sure about this.
  • debbymdebbym Forumite
    460 Posts
    ✭✭
    Use the red ones. I normally add a handful to about a lb of mince - just stir in. This amount shouldn't alter the taste. If you use tomatoes in the stew any ones that don't dissolve can be passed off as tomato seeds ;)
  • celyn90celyn90 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    debbym wrote: »
    Use the red ones. I normally add a handful to about a lb of mince - just stir in. This amount shouldn't alter the taste. If you use tomatoes in the stew any ones that don't dissolve can be passed off as tomato seeds ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: how wonderfully devious!! :rotfl:
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals