208 replies 27.6K views

Replies

• newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    celyn90 wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: how wonderfully devious!! :rotfl:

I added grated carrots in to mine so when they asked what the orange was, I could say must be carrots ;)

Took the kids about 6 months or more to even notice and ask what the "orange dots" were :)

I don't pre-boil mine, but I tend to cook my bolognaise type sauce in the slow cooker all day ;)
    working on clearing the clutter
  • So if I had cooked it long enough i wouldn't have had to handpick them out?
    Ha, will know for next time!
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Orange29 wrote: »
    So if I had cooked it long enough i wouldn't have had to handpick them out?
    Ha, will know for next time!

Think the pack usually says 30-40 minutes or something - so just cook the sauce longer, you will see the lentils kind of swell and then (as long as any meat is cooked and not still raw ;)) just fish one out to test between your teeth - that's what I do anyways ;). Longer you cook them the less they look like "dots" - which is where I got caught out I think :D
    working on clearing the clutter
  • debbymdebbym Forumite
    460 Posts
    ✭✭
    Oh BTW don't use ones that have been sitting at the back of the cupboard for years - they don't soften

celyn90 - glad you like it:D
  • ashbartashbart Forumite
    465 Posts
    Following some advice, I have decided to add some red lentils (instead of oats) to my spaghetti bolognaise and chilli to bulk them out and make them more filling.

I have never cooked with red lentils before - can someone help me? Do I need to soak them or cook them before I put them into the sauces? If so, how long do I cook them for and when should they be added into the meals?

Thanks!
    Official DFW Member 716 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • JennyW_2JennyW_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ashbart wrote: »
    Following some advice, I have decided to add some red lentils (instead of oats) to my spaghetti bolognaise and chilli to bulk them out and make them more filling.

I have never cooked with red lentils before - can someone help me? Do I need to soak them or cook them before I put them into the sauces? If so, how long do I cook them for and when should they be added into the meals?

Thanks!

are they in a tin? If so then you don't have to soak them - put them straight into whatever you are cooking.

If they are dry (in a packet), then yes they will need soaking prior to using. I think for about half hour but the pack will tell you.

If they are frozen - they too can be used straight away.
  • marybishopmarybishop Forumite
    761 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ashbart - I've started doing this too. No need to pre-soak or cook them before, just add to the meal but they will need about 30 - 40 mins cooking time so put them in as soon as you've added all the other ingredients. They thicken casseroles, etc beautifully - well worth a try. They will soak up some of the liquid so keep an eye on it and add more if necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    just throw a handful in when you start cooking the bolognese. They don`t need soaking and will cook in 25 minutes. Just make sure you have enough liquid as they soak it up

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--975/all-about-lentils.asp
  • ashbartashbart Forumite
    465 Posts
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I will chuck them in and hope for the best! :)
    Official DFW Member 716 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, there! I throw red lentils into sauces with the tinned tomatoes. I find I need to add more liquid, as the lentils soak up quite a lot.

We have an older thread on lentils, so I'll add this one, to keep suggestions together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs