Avoid First Direct - They are gonna charge all customers £10!

Options

Comments

• SparciaM
    SparciaM Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    I think the main problem with FD and the charge was the statement and reasons for the charge put forward by FD.

FD said that the reason they were charging was to stop dormant accounts (which is fair enough), but upping the credit of £1000 to £1500 and showing that you can open a savings account with 1p going into it every month, obviously isn't about stopping dormant accounts.

I agree with you Copper, if a bank wants to charge or discriminate they can do. They need to realise that now with all these new laws coming into place in respect of age, background, social and financial expectations that people may wish or want to take them further.

Bottom line, FD said they were imposing a charge to stop dormant accounts and encourage a deeper relationship between it's customers, yet it is also saying that if you can't afford to bank with us you go elsewhere, pay the charge or take more products out. It's a money making machine in light of charges and the supposed high costs of a UK call centre.

smile (whom I bank with) have a UK 24/7 call centre and they don't charge - granted you do go into a queue, but staff and friendly and nice when you speak to someone and the longest I've queued was 3 minutes (which is good).

I bank with FD for my CC as they have a good offer on, but wont pay for a service I don't need. I don't need 24/7 phone banking as do everything on internet, however I would pay for a service I use.
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    So, how many people have remained with fd and are paying the charge; how many didn't want to dip their toe into the water of the unknown "other bank"?
  • scaldyflash
    scaldyflash Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    So, how many people have remained with fd and are paying the charge; how many didn't want to dip their toe into the water of the unknown "other bank"?

Moved to another bank and have been extremely happy. No charges and no intention to apply charges (In the foreseeable future, whatever that means :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I now have a branch which I can pop into, telephone banking (with staff who speak and understand English) internet banking etc, in fact everything I had with FD. I don't miss them at all.
    When I told them I was leaving they did point out that I would not have to pay charges because of my credit card etc. I said I was not happy with their policy and that was that. They're sticking to their charges I am sticking to my principals, I will not bank with a company which makes billions of pounds every year and penalises those who are less well off, full stop. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Education is compulsory, school is not.
    Education Otherwise
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moved to another bank and have been extremely happy. No charges and no intention to apply charges (In the foreseeable future, whatever that means :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I now have a branch which I can pop into, telephone banking (with staff who speak and understand English) internet banking etc, in fact everything I had with FD. I don't miss them at all.
    When I told them I was leaving they did point out that I would not have to pay charges because of my credit card etc. I said I was not happy with their policy and that was that. They're sticking to their charges I am sticking to my principals, I will not bank with a company which makes billions of pounds every year and penalises those who are less well off, full stop. :mad: :mad: :mad:

who did you change to?
  • scaldyflash
    Options
    I knew someone was going to ask that and probably I am being ultra paranoid but I am not keen to say on an open forum who I bank with. Yes I did say previously that I was with First Direct but that was in the knowledge that I was leaving them in the immediate future, I would not want to say now because I intend to stay with this bank for a long time (well at least until they too start charging !) Suffice to say it is a well established bank in the UK and is available on most high streets.

scaldyflash
    Education Otherwise
  • Tigger36
    Tigger36 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with First Direct and wouldn't move. I've been with them for over 10 years and have never had any hassle. I can 'phone them whenever I like and I always get a friendly voice on the other end of the 'phone even at silly times in the morning. 150% better than a call centre at the other side of the world which causes nothing but complete and utter frustration. Their customer service is outstanding and I have nothing but praise for them.
    I don't have to pay the charge due to my income and the fact that I have 4 accounts with them but let's face it, the charge is because of customers who don't run their accounts properly. If people are going to open an account and never use it, get free statements, free cheque books, free paying-in books, free statements etc then what should we expect?! They're not paying a penny for the free services they have received or have been offered the use of. Other countries get charged for absolutely everything - we have had free banking for years.
    Let's stop blaming First Direct and start thinking about what has caused these charges in the first place.
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these."
  • scaldyflash
    Options
    Tigger36 wrote: »
    I'm with First Direct and wouldn't move. I've been with them for over 10 years and have never had any hassle. I can 'phone them whenever I like and I always get a friendly voice on the other end of the 'phone even at silly times in the morning. 150% better than a call centre at the other side of the world which causes nothing but complete and utter frustration. Their customer service is outstanding and I have nothing but praise for them.
    I don't have to pay the charge due to my income and the fact that I have 4 accounts with them but let's face it, the charge is because of customers who don't run their accounts properly. If people are going to open an account and never use it, get free statements, free cheque books, free paying-in books, free statements etc then what should we expect?! They're not paying a penny for the free services they have received or have been offered the use of. Other countries get charged for absolutely everything - we have had free banking for years.
    Let's stop blaming First Direct and start thinking about what has caused these charges in the first place.

SImple answer mate GREED
    Education Otherwise
  • exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Options
    Mystic exil here. Within 2 years every major bank will be charging customers who don't keep a minimum in their account - mark my words!

Banks make a loss on most accounts, that's why they're keen to slap charges on people who go over overdraft limits etc. OK they make big profits - but not out of small accounts.
  • dchurch24
    dchurch24 Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

ha....and if you believe that, you'll believe anything they tell you!!

We DO NOT get free banking - we lend them our money at less than inflationary interest, plus, you state that in other countries they get charged for everything. This is simply not true and is a BBA propaganda excercise that you have bought right into.

I have a french current account, which I pay DD's out of and have a cheque book and also a debit card. Not once have I been charged for these services - in fact, I was once allowed 36k overdrawn without charge and without having to pay interest.

I can't ever seeing a bank do that in this country.

It's little wonder that big business, in particular the banks, call the UK, "treasure island" when people are so very easy to fool.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options

Please let us know what/who has 'caused these charges'? Certainly UK banks have managed for many years with no need to charge, so why start now? Perhaps you are referring to the 'bad' customers who have reclaimed charges from the 'good' banks who overcharged the customers in fees in the first place? :confused:
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business