Avoid First Direct - They are gonna charge all customers £10!

Options
Update Note: Now read Martin's full
"How to beat the new charges" article

Just moved my account to First Direct a couple of months ago, upon recommendation from a friend who works in the call centre there and she apologised to me today and told me that they are going to charge all their customers £10 a month from next year unless you have lots and lots of products with them so guess I have to know look elsewhere for a bank account but at least I got £50 from them when I opened the account

Comments

• blueiosoma
    blueiosoma Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Can anybody else confirm this? Seems like a backward step to me. I was going to transfer to them but uncertainty has taken hold!
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    blueiosoma wrote:
    Can anybody else confirm this? Seems like a backward step to me. I was going to transfer to them but uncertainty has taken hold!

Seems unlikely to me.
  • PoorDave
    PoorDave Posts: 952 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    They seem to only give out money to me, as the previous poster can testify too.

£50 better off for opening a FD account!
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I would like to know if this is true, my husband has a benefit payed into it.....we'll put it elsewhwhere if this is true.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    They will be losing my business after 15 years if this is true, how do they define lots? I have a current account and an ISA, we have a joint account too, they have tried to sell me a mortgage but we don't need one. I bought some insurance via HSBC after a chat with one of their advisors a few years ago.

I have resisted the hard sell for the add on directory (?) as I don't need the extras and I pay less for the bits I do need ( travel insurance etc)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just called FD as I have been a customer for over a decade and would leave immediately if they made such a charge.

They told me there is nothing of the sort happening.

Where on Earth did you get this information?
  • cheggers
    cheggers Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Made £150 from First Direct the other year opening an account and recommending friends, the biggest joke was my account only had a pound in it. Long since closed the account now.
  • Bagger
    Bagger Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe I am being cynical. However, the original poster (Mrs_Jangles) posted this message as his/her first message. I wonder if Mrs_Jangles is from one of First Direct's competitors and trying to spread false rumors.

Bagger
  • kuohu
    kuohu Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As above. Looks like nonsense.
    DFW Nerd 035
  • Mrs_Jangles
    Options
    Not nonsense I can assure you. My friend has shown me the documents given to staff explaining all of this and that its going to start early next year but all customers will be told around september time. Staff are being told to be quiet about it although they all know about it. but I think if you push the people on the end of the phone hard enough or ask for a manager you will get somewhere. My friend who works there said to ask about project mandy. like I said I have got the £50 which is all I wanted although I was considering staying with first direct but not now. Just dont say that I didnt warn you when you get your letters later in the year. And yes this is the first (well second) post now on here now as have never had anything to say although have taken plenty of tips off this site in the last year or so
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure