Avoid First Direct - They are gonna charge all customers £10!

Options

Comments

• moomintroll_3
    Options
    I agree with most people who've posted, this sounds like nonsense. However, if it's not then they'll lose my custom pretty much instantly and I reckon most others won't put up with it either. This would certainly put them seriously out of step with the rest of the market - it's a real dogfight out there for your current account custom!

I've got nothing but good words to say about FD - their customer service was the defining characteristic that got me there.
    Wot, no sig?
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    Well, time will surely tell if it's nonsense? Personally, the short time I was with them was fine. Again, took the £50 and then found I didn't really need the account - was thinking of moving from smile at the time, but couldn't pay in at PO's which was a bit of an inconvenience so stuck with what I knew.

Seems that it would certainly be a backwards step, but then HSBC is perhaps looking at other ways of squeezing the pips til they squeak...
  • MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can assume if FD are taking this step - that HSBC aren't far behind. If HSBC are heading down this route - you can expect the other big 3 to follow quickly too.

IF this is true - I'd be willing to bet a bank (no idea which one), in a years time, will be running an ad showing how good they are because they are offering fee-free banking.

M.

P.s. I have to say - if FD are heading down this route - it surprises me that they are going to be the first to break ranks and start charging, but the fact it's being (supposedly) considered doesn't surprise me in the least.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    could this be for the text alerts
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • moomintroll_3
    Options
    kenshaz wrote:
    could this be for the text alerts
    They already charge 2.50/month for the text alerts if you have more than the standard one mini-statement per week.

G
    Wot, no sig?
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose this could be a pre-cursor to any action over bank charges? They've already had to reduce their 'charges' on accounts. Could be them lining up to say "okay, you've got your cake and you've even managed to get a bite, but you're not going to get to finish it...here's a ten pound charge for the privilege of having a current account with us...sorry, don;t like it? Tough."
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There appears to be a lot of "big bad bank" comments on this thread, all based on a single unsubstantiated "from a friend" comment by a new poster.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I highly doubt they would charge everyone £10 for nothing, they would lose lots of customers
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bootcampbilly
    Options
    Not nonsense I can assure you. My friend has shown me the documents given to staff explaining all of this and that its going to start early next year but all customers will be told around september time. Staff are being told to be quiet about it although they all know about it. but I think if you push the people on the end of the phone hard enough or ask for a manager you will get somewhere. My friend who works there said to ask about project mandy. like I said I have got the £50 which is all I wanted although I was considering staying with first direct but not now. Just dont say that I didnt warn you when you get your letters later in the year. And yes this is the first (well second) post now on here now as have never had anything to say although have taken plenty of tips off this site in the last year or so

Can you get hold of this document and show it to us too then?
    Taking out details that might incriminate your friend of course
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I emailed them and they replied saying:
    first direct is always brainstorming new ideas, as you'd expect. Many of these ideas never see the light of day, but we're committed to letting you know in good time about any changes we will be making.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure