Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt-free Wannabe Challenges

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread - Page 415

New Post Advanced Search

'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 3:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 334K views

Replies

• lynseydeelynseydee Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Can I please join in with this challenge? :)

I love to read, although it's been on the back burner a bit since I had my son in June and went back to uni in Sep.

I have over 900 books on my kindle (and a few paperbacks kicking around the house) so there's plenty of reading for me to get through!

Wow swimming, I thought I was doing badly with about 600 kindle and real books, makes me feel better, well slightly :o
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • HappygreenHappygreen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lynseydee wrote: »
    Wow swimming, I thought I was doing badly with about 600 kindle and real books, makes me feel better, well slightly :o

I still have that many on my shelves, I bet (don't dare counting), but kindle books are very tempting with so many free ones around. I'm glad I've decided not to renew prime this year, which means 12 less unread books on my kindle! I'm glad to report that I managed to stick to my resolution again this year not to buy any fiction books for myself! :D
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • lynseydeelynseydee Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Happygreen wrote: »
    I still have that many on my shelves, I bet (don't dare counting), but kindle books are very tempting with so many free ones around. I'm glad I've decided not to renew prime this year, which means 12 less unread books on my kindle! I'm glad to report that I managed to stick to my resolution again this year not to buy any fiction books for myself! :D

That's my trouble, all the ones on my kindle are free ones!!
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • chirpycheapchirpycheap Forumite
    186 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have just found this thread and it really appeals to me. In the last few years I have really trying to clear my physical and e-reader book shelves and I have done so with great success.

I was a huge bookaholic and read avidly. I looked at book reviews, joined book groups, spent my spare time in book shops and generally had way too many books. I now have around twenty books on my shelf and a similar number on the Kindle. So what is the problem?

Well somehow I seem to have fallen out of love with reading. I can't seem to find books that I enjoy. I've lost the enthusiasm. I yearn for a real page turner. It was quite possibly the constant browsing and researching that meant I could always find a new author or genre and new books to read.

I do so miss reading and the joy of a good book so I'm determined to regain my former enthusiasm without the return of the compulsion to buy too many books.

In truth the books remaining on my shelf are 'worthy' books that I feel should read but I keep looking at them and not feeling inspired so my plan is to visit the library. I know that probably doesn't sound radical but I have rarely borrowed fiction from the library because I always had a zillion books at home. I am going to borrow some easier and less challenging books in the hope that I will rediscover the habit of reading. Then social media will be banned at bedtime ( I have got into bad habits I admit!)

Has anyone else ever lost their reading mojo? How have you returned to reading. Can you love books but not buy them excessively? I hope to find a way to do so!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else ever lost their reading mojo? How have you returned to reading. Can you love books but not buy them excessively? I hope to find a way to do so!

Welcome, chirpycheap. To answer you questions: Yes, I have fallen out of reading a bit, although I probably have 100s of unread books in the house. For a few years now I have managed to stick to the resolution not to buy any fiction books for myself, at least. I bought quite a few non-fiction books for work and study, a valid excuse! I've been trying to figure out reasons why I read less these days and there are several. My eyes are getting worse, even with the right strength reading glasses it's a bit exhausting sometimes. My attention span also has suffered with age. Then - there is always something to watch or do on-line :( Hoping to reduce the piles of books next year and to get back into the flow of reading. ;)
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
    186 posts
    I've been trying to figure out reasons why I read less these days and there are several. My eyes are getting worse, even with the right strength reading glasses it's a bit exhausting sometimes. My attention span also has suffered with age. Then - there is always something to watch or do on-line :( . ;)

That is so interesting HappyGreen. I can recognise so many of your reasons. Attention Span definitely. I think computers mean that I seem to scan read much more than I used to and that affects my concentration. Eyesight declining is definitely a factor. Tiny fonts are no good and I need good lighting to read.
    But oh the joy of total immersion in a good book. I am determined to rediscover the joy of reading!
    Save
    Save
  • Has anyone else ever lost their reading mojo? How have you returned to reading. Can you love books but not buy them excessively? I hope to find a way to do so!
    My attention span also has suffered with age. Then - there is always something to watch or do on-line :( Hoping to reduce the piles of books next year and to get back into the flow of reading. ;)

I have found both of these things recently. I tend to always be reading something but I'm finding books harder to get into and be absorbed in. I didn't know if I just hadn't found the book to grab me recently but I've definitely found my attention span is less than it once was.
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
    186 posts
    blindtoast wrote: »
    I have found both of these things recently. I tend to always be reading something but I'm finding books harder to get into and be absorbed in. I didn't know if I just hadn't found the book to grab me recently but I've definitely found my attention span is less than it once was.

I think it is probably a sign of the times. Other things are more immediately accessible. A book takes a little more effort but is worth it for the enjoyment they bring😁
  • Another challenge for me to join. I have been trying to do this for a while but not as successful as I would like. Along with the need to save a bit of money, it's far more about decluttering for me atm. I do manage to keep it in check by buying books for my mother (with her pension money) from the charity shop. She rarely goes out these days and spends most of her time in her rocking chair with a book. But then she gives the books to me ......

I am happy to donate books to charity after I have read them, or even if I have gone through my unread books and decided I am unlikely to ever read them. The problem I currently have is that I have 5 bags of books to donate (approx 100) and my local charity shop is not currently taking them.
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another challenge for me to join. I have been trying to do this for a while but not as successful as I would like. Along with the need to save a bit of money, it's far more about decluttering for me atm. I do manage to keep it in check by buying books for my mother (with her pension money) from the charity shop. She rarely goes out these days and spends most of her time in her rocking chair with a book. But then she gives the books to me ......

I am happy to donate books to charity after I have read them, or even if I have gone through my unread books and decided I am unlikely to ever read them. The problem I currently have is that I have 5 bags of books to donate (approx 100) and my local charity shop is not currently taking them.

You can try offering them on freecylce or freegle. Someone will have them! Or old folks home, hospital? Ours does have a shelf for fundraising with books £ 1 each.