Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

edited 4 April 2010 at 8:33AM in How much have you saved?
4.7K replies 305.9K views

Replies

• edited 2 April 2010 at 12:28PM
    poohbear59poohbear59 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 April 2010 at 12:28PM
    aless02 wrote: »
    yes, this. You have to eventually throw something away because you're perpetually feeding the starter! otherwise your countertops and fridge would be taken over by the dough :D

my mom made sourdough fairly often at one stage in my childhood. I am very reminiscent of that, as it's one of my very favorite things - and not commonly sold here in the UK so if I want it, I have to make my own. Reminds me to go switch my oven on and see how the first batch comes out!

can I be a shorty too? 5'4", size (coughjusthadababycough) and wee tiny feet at size 4s!! :eek:
    :jAs I feel like a shorty too.

I have lurked a bt on the sour dough thing as I used to make it years ago. I didn't want to have to answer any questions as I couldn't really remember what I did. We had a aga at the time so I could keep it going. There was a local shop sold sour dough starter kits although I remember I started my own without a 'kit'.

As I am really not supposed to have yeast I should look into it. I use a breadmaker as I have a disability and can't knead but I presume I could use the BM for kneading and rising sour dough too?

Also, on bread, as I have some flour I am starting my breadmaking for next week now and freezing it. Hopefully that means less to do on Tuesday. Or is that cheating?
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Amish%20friendship%20no%20yeast%20starter
    This is the recipe I did...I wanted to try do it without yeast and thoroughly enjoyed the experement. The cake is lovely ...
    lol sian...flipping heck...have you got a hangover!! All us rubinesque girlies should move to the carribean...they lurve the curves!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• h
    lol sian...flipping heck...have you got a hangover!! All us rubinesque girlies should move to the carribean...they lurve the curves!

Lol, no, I pace myself,:beer:. I'm not a massive drinker tbh and I don't get drunk (deliberately!) and had a rather delightful lie in this morning!
    Am heading back to the 'rents today and apparently Mum has just made hot cross buns, mmm, looking forward to them!

Have a wonderful weekend and a delightful Easter, it's all good news eh?
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • artybearartybear Forumite
    978 Posts
    Malibu and coke siany?? Thats very 16year old girl lol!!:D Im a wine/vodka/cocktail girl myself (though I hasten to add only occassionally all in the same night) :rotfl:

Im 5foot 6 and a half and size 12-hopefully by the time I meet you all I will be a size 8 to 10 though:cool:
    xxxx
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This thread is full of boozers...she says enjoying a beer while lunch cooks ;)

i was thinking of making some bread early, but then I wondered if perhaps it would be even better to bake the bread, make into sandwiches and then freeze...did you have a plan along those lines weezl ?

Can I come to the carribbean too? Though in all honestly, while I'd love to be known as curvey..I think I'm just fat! I'm so looking forward to starting your plan weezl
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Perhaps sian was just getting ready for the carribbean early with her malibu and coke?
  • FrankieM wrote: »
    Perhaps sian was just getting ready for the carribbean early with her malibu and coke?

It tastes the way suncream smells! Mmm.... :rotfl:
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • poohbear59 wrote: »
    :jAs I feel like a shorty too.

I have lurked a bt on the sour dough thing as I used to make it years ago. I didn't want to have to answer any questions as I couldn't really remember what I did. We had a aga at the time so I could keep it going. There was a local shop sold sour dough starter kits although I remember I started my own without a 'kit'.

As I am really not supposed to have yeast I should look into it. I use a breadmaker as I have a disability and can't knead but I presume I could use the BM for kneading and rising sour dough too?

Also, on bread, as I have some flour I am starting my breadmaking for next week now and freezing it. Hopefully that means less to do on Tuesday. Or is that cheating?

If you do sourdough, you may not have added any yeast from a pkt or wherever, but it will still have yeasts in, they are in the air, and your sourdough aquires them from there. That's how they work I'm afraid, so no good for a yeastfree diet
  • hornetgirlhornetgirl Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Another shorty here - just under 5'4". I drink malibu and coke too Sian, and I'll be 50 next month :eek:
  • Ladies, you all sound lovely, all different shapes and sizes :) We can't all be the same else what a boring place the world would be eh?
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= £105.89 :j
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals