Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

edited 4 April 2010 at 8:33AM in How much have you saved?
4.7K replies 305.8K views

Replies

• nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    aless02 wrote: »
    that's a really weird coincidence, because I'm just rising my 1st sourdough loaf ever this morning! It is a HUGE amount of faff, to be honest, and consider how much yeast is a measely part of the budget, I'd be inclined to say that Shirley would likely not bother :o. Also, I think you spend more in flour than you save in yeast.

(unfortunately I timed this experiment poorly as we just ran out of normal bread, so I need to make a batch as well, since this sourdough is only making 1 loaf! :eek:)

You have to throw away 1/2 the starter because that's what keeps the starter feeding. It's not wasteful - it's chemistry! Also, I think keeping around the old bits too long creates hooch, and if Shirley wanted beer bread she would've asked for it! :D

:o

But I dont get it Aless :(
    Why do you have to throw it away ?
    Could you not split it in two, and have two starters ??
    :(
  • nopot2pin wrote: »
    :o

But I dont get it Aless :(
    Why do you have to throw it away ?
    Could you not split it in two, and have two starters ??
    :(

as far as I understand it, it's sort of like ginger beer, or the everlasting porridge pot in the fairy story, it just keeps coming and coming. First time you would have 1 starter, next time 2, then 4, then 8, then 16 ........

I have never made it, but I think the taste is supposed to be worth it
  • hi all! i have been lurking throughout the thread :)

just after some apple advice...

have peeled a load of eating apples (were overripe) whilst two year old cat sat on my shoulders :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

so now they are in water with a bit of lemon juice and i am wondering what to make with them.

for the apple curd and eggless apple cake can i use eating apples or were you using cooking ones?

or should i just cook them and freeze for a later date?

many thanks,
    loki x
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • Dick_hereDick_here Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Allegra wrote: »
    Hey you :) Fancy telling the good people of Weezl's Ministry of Food how you feel about being a guinea pig for the meal planner ?

What, the bit about me flying to the US 'to work' all of a sudden just as it's about to happen ? Purely coincidental... ;)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • grandma247grandma247 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Princess loki you can use your apples in the cake or the curd. actually eating apples are better in the curd unless you like sour spreads.
  • grandma247 wrote: »
    Princess loki you can use your apples in the cake or the curd. actually eating apples are better in the curd unless you like sour spreads.

sorry... more questions :o

apple cake - any idea of weight of 1 & 1/2 bramley apples or volume of cup?

many thanks,
    loki
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • grandma247grandma247 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Volume of a cup is 8fluid oz. apples vary in size so weight will be different. I don't think a little variation will matter though.
  • poohbear59poohbear59 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    weezl74 wrote: »
    note to testers: when your shopping does come, please soak 500g dried peas and 140g dried chickpeas :)
    Thank you I forgot to order the chick peas:o

Bossy weezl x
    artybear wrote: »
    Im not too drunk but I felt I may let you down if there wasnt an outpouring of love so

Frugal Fellows
    :kisses3:
    :D

Aw my internet went off lat night and I missed the outpouring of love
    FrankieM wrote: »
    I'm feel positively tiny (height wise) at 5ft 6! Size 8 shoes...and a size (cough) in clothes...lets leave the meeting up till quite a bit later in the year ;)

I am the same height as you:D smaller feet though and and size (cough) too.:j
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • aless02aless02 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    as far as I understand it, it's sort of like ginger beer, or the everlasting porridge pot in the fairy story, it just keeps coming and coming. First time you would have 1 starter, next time 2, then 4, then 8, then 16 ........

I have never made it, but I think the taste is supposed to be worth it

yes, this. You have to eventually throw something away because you're perpetually feeding the starter! otherwise your countertops and fridge would be taken over by the dough :D

my mom made sourdough fairly often at one stage in my childhood. I am very reminiscent of that, as it's one of my very favorite things - and not commonly sold here in the UK so if I want it, I have to make my own. Reminds me to go switch my oven on and see how the first batch comes out!

can I be a shorty too? 5'4", size (coughjusthadababycough) and wee tiny feet at size 4s!! :eek:
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • aless02 wrote: »

can I be a shorty too? 5'4", size (coughjusthadababycough) and wee tiny feet at size 4s!! :eek:
    Oh good Aless, you, ISOM and I can have a lower level conversation at the meet, whilst the tallies talk over our heads! (shh, don't tell them but we can eat chocolate too, they'll never see us down here...). I'm 5 foot 4 and right out of a Ruben painting....What can I say, us curvy women would have been worshipped and adored in the 17th Century ;)

Okay, confession, I had some of my homemade damson gin before I went out, then had some Rose at the restaurant, THEN had malibu and coke! We were going to have cocktails but were too late! Though my tastes are maturing a little (now like red wine and olives!) I think I drink like a teenage girl still!

You lot have been very productive this morning! A friend of mine in America had a bread culture thing whilst I was there, it was in a large zip lock sandwich bag, with a label on it explaining what to do each day, looked pretty weird but fun! I do like the chemistry behind cooking; they say baking is an exact science but I think once you have mastered it you can start playing about. I would have thought Shirley would be best with using the yeast for the beginning at least, especially if she is a working Mum too.
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum