We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Report Bank Charges successes and failures
Comments
-
I am in financial hardship lol and that is very obvious from my bank statementsDebt Paid - £0/£7240
Debt free goal date - 30 April 2019.0 -
Harleyquinn wrote: »I am in financial hardship lol and that is very obvious from my bank statements
The bank will look at your spending habits and assess accordingly. Someone that runs a car, has pets and multiple Apple products is unlikely to meet their definition of financial hardship.0 -
The bank will look at your spending habits and assess accordingly. Someone that runs a car, has pets and multiple Apple products is unlikely to meet their definition of financial hardship.
Slightly rude there
Little back story here, I have bipolar disorder, went undiagnosed for quite a while and a part of my disorder spending/overspending. I applied for CC's, store accounts, bought my macbook on credit etc when I was very unwell. So don't bother judging, you know nothing. And I need my car. It is my lifeline. I was in hardship before I was unwell, not that that matters.
All I did was tell my experience which was the point of this thread. I didn't ask the likes of you to judge me.:(Debt Paid - £0/£7240
Debt free goal date - 30 April 2019.0 -
Harleyquinn wrote: »Slightly rude there
Little back story here, I have bipolar disorder, went undiagnosed for quite a while and a part of my disorder spending/overspending. I applied for CC's, store accounts, bought my macbook on credit etc when I was very unwell. So don't bother judging, you know nothing. And I need my car. It is my lifeline. I was in hardship before I was unwell, not that that matters.
All I did was tell my experience which was the point of this thread. I didn't ask the likes of you to judge me.:(
I'm stating facts, that is how the bank assesses your claim - if you spend on frivolities then you are not deemed to be in hardship.
Perhaps you could sell the Macbook, iphone etc to pay towards your debt? Much cheaper alternatives are available.0 -
I know people who have much worse spending habits than I and they were successful in their claims, just saying. And all I said was that I was disappointed, I didn't ask for anyone's opinions :rotfl:
I need my macbook for uni and my phone is not exactly worth anything. I'm doing what I can to change my situation.Debt Paid - £0/£7240
Debt free goal date - 30 April 2019.0 -
Harleyquinn wrote: »I am in financial hardship lol and that is very obvious from my bank statements
Your consumer spending put you in hardship and you are unlikely to be in hardship. There are things we dont know but we do know the following
1 - You live with parents (so no utilities to be paid, no food and no housing costs)
2 - you are a smoker. So, you are finding the money for that.
3 - you have a range of store card debts and loans for consumer items (Argos, Very, Barclays for laptop). None of those are high priority debts and they all exist because of consumer purchases.
4 - you have a £41pm mobile phone contract. That is excessive.
None of these things going unpaid is going to see you lose the roof over your head or prevent your children from being fed (you have none). Hardship means hardship. it doesnt mean unable to pay for excessive consumer spending.
I sympathise with your situation but it is not hardship. Consumer debt can go into debt recovery and debt management schemes.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Harleyquinn wrote: »I know people who have much worse spending habits than I and they were successful in their claims, just saying. And all I said was that I was disappointed, I didn't ask for anyone's opinions :rotfl:
I need my macbook for uni and my phone is not exactly worth anything. I'm doing what I can to change my situation.
We're offering advice, explaining why your claim has been declined.
If you want help choosing a cheaper laptop ask on the Techies board. In particular look at reconditioned ones which come with a warranty - there are some real bargains to be had.
Difficult to believe an iphone 5 is not worth anything. Have a look on ebay or one of the recycling sites for an idea of how much you may get for it.0 -
I see your point, but as I said all I did was share my story as is the point of this thread! Not to have people tell me about my life lol
My purchases are NOT the cause for my hardship for I was in a worse postition before when I lived alone and had to try and live off £100 a week while trying paying bills which is where the storecards and credit cards came in to play.
I no longer smoke, I can do nothing about my contract until I can cancel and I signed a contract for £20 a month they changed my contract price and allowance without my consent, i contribute to the household.
But surely £120 of charges in a month (which is what i pay most months) is excessive and certainly above what Bank of Scotland say the most they will take off a person in a month.
So let's all just move on and forget I ever posted anything.Debt Paid - £0/£7240
Debt free goal date - 30 April 2019.0 -
We're offering advice, explaining why your claim has been declined.
If you want help choosing a cheaper laptop ask on the Techies board. In particular look at reconditioned ones which come with a warranty - there are some real bargains to be had.
Difficult to believe an iphone 5 is not worth anything. Have a look on ebay or one of the recycling sites for an idea of how much you may get for it.
would selling my mac not be a little counter productive? It's over a year old, I'm still paying it off? If I sell at best I'll get £500 so from that I'll still have to buy a new laptop and still be paying off what I've got? I looked into selling it before.
The camera is smashed on the front, and the screen has a huge crack on it, the sleep button doesn't work lol I got offered £25 for it so I'm better off keeping itDebt Paid - £0/£7240
Debt free goal date - 30 April 2019.0 -
Re: Personal Reserve Fees causing me to go into Personal reserve and creating a cycle of hardship
I am experiencing the following issue: From August 2008 to June 2015, Barclays forcefully changed my account type to put a £500 'personal reserve' (overdraft) onto my account, meaning that for every 7 days I were to go below £0 in my current account, I would incur a charge of £22 with a maximum of 5 charges a month (£110). I was never made aware of the new terms of my account, and Barclays made no effort in explaining the implications of these new charges. I was only made aware that my account had changed into this type when I called to explain I couldn't afford the strange "personal reserve" bank charges that were being applied to my account, which I had never seen before. This was some time after Barclays had already switched my account over unknowingly.
Between August 2008 and until the personal reserve fee was rebranded into "emergency borrowing", I experienced financial hardship, spending two extended periods as unemployed, while accruing personal reserve fee charges. These periods were between May 2009 - November 2009 and March 2011 and July 2011. Barclays applied charges of £22 per week for the times I had gone overdrawn, even though I had contacted and notified them that I would not be able to pay them and that I was on job seekers allowance, being paid into the very same account. They dismissed my claim by stating that I had 'voluntarily entered an agreement to use the personal reserve because I had not notified them that I didn't want to be enrolled onto the account'. They also stated that because this was a voluntary "lending agreement" that the charges were not actually 'overdraft charges' and were exempt from any banking regulations which wouldn't enable me to claim back any of these 'personal reserve fees'. To reiterate, I should have been able to cancel this product at any time according you your terms.
I was never notified that the account would switch over, nor was I notified that I would need to tell them to stop any such change from occurring. I believe this is because for an extended period of time, they didn't have recorded my correct postal address. I had called and complained about my address never appearing correctly on my statements, which they admitted, and refunded £35 of overdraft fees (before the account switch) in 2005/2006, though my address was still not listed properly and statements were being delivered to various addresses on my street. I have only been able to view all of my statements after switching to online only banking in 2014. I called and tried again to cancel this 'personal reserve' but the adviser explained that because I was already (unknowingly) using the reserve amount that I was unable to cancel. From this point I was always using my personal reserve and so was effectively blocked from removing it as I was always being taken back into the reserve amount.
The personal reserve fees were administered onto my account in such a way that I was going into my personal reserve despite paying for the fees from the previous month AND clearing the amounts that I was overdrawn. This period began a cycle of me selling various possessions (many under hire purchase agreements which were affordable before my two periods of unemployment) and eventually to getting payday loans to cover the costs. From March 2011 to June 2011, the cycle developed deeper and far more quickly. I was again claiming job seekers allowance, had called Barclays to notify them that I was unable to pay the fees, and further that the fees were perpetuating the cycle. They were being administered at different points in each month disabling me to prepare for funds to be in my account. They were able to accrue extra weeks worth of fees, despite me keeping myself out of the reserve. No matter how hard I tried, the fees were applied and took me back into the reserve. I was forced to take out payday loans to cover these costs, even though I could not afford to pay for the payday loans either. Each month, I would have to borrow more to cover the cost of the fees accumulating each month. Essentially, borrowing an extra £88 and the interest for the payday loan each month. I called to try and remove the personal reserve but was told, and I quote, that I "needed" the personal reserve otherwise my direct debits would go unpaid and would return further unpaid transaction fees as well as bank charges for not having an agreed overdraft facility. After further cycles of reserve fees and payday loans, I re-entered employment In July 2011.
Because the amounts of the payday loans were ever increasing, I was still going overdrawn despite being in full time employment. I was experiencing the same financial hardship as I was when I was unemployed. This culminated in February 2012, where I was pre-selected by Barclays to take out Barclayloan products, and I took this as an opportunity to make an attempt to consolidate payday loans, 12 month high interest loans and overdrafts so that I could break free of the cycle. I did not ask for a quote, but made aware of being pre-selected by a "pop-up" message while using the online banking function. Barclays allowed me to take out TWO loans within the same month, one of £5000 and one of £1000 which I would obviously struggle to afford thereafter. I had already been going overdrawn month after month for years before these loans were offered which other lenders would be alerted to being in financial difficulties. Eventually, I had to ask my parents to settle these loans in 2014.
I feel Barclays' lending practice has been completely irresponsible, and negligent. I made numerous calls and attempts to stop the personal reserve borrowing, but the advisors didn't allow me to. They were notified of my financial hardships and despite this, did not seek to withdraw any of the products as a responsible lender should. I was never consulted for my account change in the first place, and the terms were never explained to me, which I feel is illegal and misrepresentative of the type bank account I thought I was using. In advising me to keep the personal reserve amounts and stating that I needed them to exist has meant I have experienced extraordinarily high detrimental costs, amounting into two long term and high value loans, which again, were irresponsibly offered. Being constantly harassed with letters regarding my charges and online with pre-selected offers, I feel I have been coerced into taking out credit that I simply could never afford to repay with a review to increase the amounts of revenue earned from me.
For a £500 reserve amount I have amassed years of £88-110 per month charges and taken out two loans amounting to £6000 and countless payday loans. I have experienced extreme financial hardship, even while I was in work, and have spent years feeling huge amounts of anxiety, stress and feelings of being chased for fees by my bank. Barclays have been incredibly irresponsibly in their lending practice and took advantage of my naivity and lack of knowledge surrounding credit and loans. I made numerous attempts to cancel this product and the advisers were well versed in apparent "terms" to the service to keep me using the personal reserve product. Your terms clearly stated that I should have been able to cancel this at any time.
To action this I would like you to I would like Barclays to acknowledge that they should not have changed my account without my explicit consent to do so. Resultantly, I would like Barclays to refund all "personal reserve fees" applied to my account as I communicated many times that I was in financial hardship and they were not practicing as a responsible lender should in allowing me to remove the product. Further, I would like Barclays to repay the amounts of £5000 and £1000 related to the two Barclayloan products taken out in February 2012 in response to my spiraling debt, as a means to recompense for the spiral of debt the initial change to the personal reserve fee had caused and for their irresponsible lending practice. I would not have taken out those products had I not been coerced by your "pre-selected" offer.
I also would like Barclays to refund these amounts with interest.
I look forward to a response within 7 days of this correspondence.
A bit of a long read, but here is my claim to Barclays, sent off today with Resolver. I'm not sure if there would even consider it. But they have certainly behaved very badly around not letting me remove the personal reserve fee on many occasions, despite them clearly stating that this is a term in the agreement. Coupling that with not even knowing about the change with my address mix up and notifying them that I was unemployed is questionable to say the least!
I certainly would go back and change everything now - especially around the two barclayloans, but when financially desperate and being bombarded with lines of credit, I don't think I was solely to blame. I didn't want the *&^£$&*$ reserve!0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards