We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Report Bank Charges successes and failures
Comments
-
Thanksor your stern reply. A little disappointed with the tone of some of the replies on here.
The advice I received was to request absolutely everything I could to be refunded as a starting point for negotiating my case. Indeed I was I never made aware of the terms, and I'm sure they will have trouble proving that I had agreed to this change. As mentioned, I have had repeated issues with my bank statements not being posted
We'll see what they say eh?0 -
Lord, some people on here get rattled easily. Take a chill pill, those people.0
-
After a very brief read of this site i decided to call my bank to see when i first started paying charges. I was very efficiently transferred to another team who listened to my query about being sold a bank account a long time ago with 'bits and peices' that I didn't need and that I was not aware of the charges initially, after becoming aware of a charge on my statement I had simply gone along with it as I believed it was needed for the overdraft facility. I explained that I now believe that I had been missold the account. I did not fill in any forms, I did not state an amount of money.
24 hours later received a call to say I would be reimbursed, the following day £1900 in my account.
* how much was your claim for
I didn't make a claim, I made an inquiry
* how much did you get back - £1900
* who is your bank - lloyds0 -
This thread is for discussion of bank charges, not packaged accounts.
Well done on your success, however.:T0 -
Martin, you and your team are fantastic
Tuesday 12.30pm Rang Lloyds Bank and down graded my account from Premier to Club
12.50pm used your site and your pre formatted letter to ask for a refund of my charges from Lioyds
1.30pm had a text from Lloyds informing me that they would calling me the same day
4.00pm received a call from Lloyds and answered a few question, I was told they would investigate and contact the next day
Wednesday 5.20pm Received a call from Lloyds and after a full and detailed explanation was informed that I would be receiving £2125.67p within 3 days
Thusday 9.00am £2125.67p deposited in my account
What an unbelievable result thank you very much:beer:0 -
This thread is for discussion of bank charges, not packaged accounts.
Well done on your success, however.:T0 -
Hello
I have read about putting in for reclaiming bank charges. I have spoken to my bank and told them I in hardship and they put a stop to bank charges for a month, but I am now being charged again.....I never seem to be able to get my head above water and altho the charges are a lot less than what they used to be when you have got nothing they are still a lot
Can someone tell me Who I have to send the letter to I have used your template and gone through my bank statements so I have it all listed
Is it possible to email them to the bank or get them printed and post them I hope that someone can advice me
Best Wishes0 -
Hello
I have read about putting in for reclaiming bank charges. I have spoken to my bank and told them I in hardship and they put a stop to bank charges for a month, but I am now being charged again.....I never seem to be able to get my head above water and altho the charges are a lot less than what they used to be when you have got nothing they are still a lot
Can someone tell me Who I have to send the letter to I have used your template and gone through my bank statements so I have it all listed
Is it possible to email them to the bank or get them printed and post them I hope that someone can advice me
Best Wishes
The bank is under no requirement to refund any charges. They looked at your case previously and suspended charges for a period.
You do not write to the bank with a list of historic charges as that isnt how it works any more. You go back to the bank and tell them you are still in hardship. They will reassess your situation and decide if they can offer you any further help.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0 -
Thank you for your reply But I am a little confused
Does this mean that I do not have to send the letter telling of my circumstances and that I would like my account reviewed with the charges They do know I am going through a hard time at the moment and I have spoken to the bank on a few occasions letting them know that things have not changed
I can not see they are going to offer me a refund of there own will without asking
I did on one of the phone calls ask about charge refunds and was told by the man I was talking to that he knew nothing about it
So do I send the template letter to the bank or just leave it and wait to see if they offer the charges back to me
Best Wishes0 -
Thank you for your reply But I am a little confused
Does this mean that I do not have to send the letter telling of my circumstances and that I would like my account reviewed with the charges They do know I am going through a hard time at the moment and I have spoken to the bank on a few occasions letting them know that things have not changed
I can not see they are going to offer me a refund of there own will without asking
I did on one of the phone calls ask about charge refunds and was told by the man I was talking to that he knew nothing about it
So do I send the template letter to the bank or just leave it and wait to see if they offer the charges back to me
Best Wishes
The banks won the court case in 2009. Since then, bank charge reclaiming has died a death. Now its only looked at on incorrect application of charges or financial hardship. However, no-one can force the bank to refund (even the FOS cant). The bank just has to consider the situation fairly. Refund is one option. They could also suspend charges for a period or put the person on a debt management process. Priority debt tends to be treated as more of an issue than consumer debt.
You should put your case to them again. You never know what they will do unless you ask.I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards