Are we invited or not??

Options
losingpatience
losingpatience Posts: 214 Forumite
Going to get to grips with food shopping again, starting February!

Got married to my lovely hubby on 12/11/2011 :D

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely your OH shouldn't even be comtemplating going if he's off long term sick?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • dieselhead
    Options
    Even if you were to go, do you know where it is or the time etc?
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i'm very confused - the guy is on holiday and won't be back until after his own wedding? i'm missing something! in that situation, i wouldn't go, but i'd arrange a card from work with lots of signatures and maybe a whip-round with a couple of quid each to put as a voucher in the card. that way you avoid an awkward situation if he wasn't expecting you and still show that you all cared!
    :happyhear
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Options
    I'd email him with a read receipt thing and ask for a formal invite so you know where you stand. Could you do it as a work thing say that people won't come unless they receive a formal invite - so as not to be a nuisance - that way everyone will know where they stand. And it makes it look as it's not just you IYSWIM.

It's usually the women - future bride that deal with invites then they can work out seating & how many are going. It all seems a bit like he's trying to please everyone & failing miserably.

Awkward situation - you have my sympathies.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    melancholly - He took 2 weeks off work, a week before the wedding so he had time to get the last few things sorted, and then a week after for his honeymoon. So basically we won't see him again until he's back from the wedding IYSWIM.

I sorted out a collection and card at work which we gave him yesterday before he went off, and he basically said "thanks and I'll see you all when I get back" which lead to people mumbling I thought we were invited to one another.

I think the whole issue is he hasn't made anything clear, although he's only 22 and a bit naieve at times lol

That doesn't sound like an invite to me!

Looks like things have changed ~ he probably got carried away and invited everyone from work and his fiancee has gone nuts wondering where all the money is coming from to pay for you all lol

I think it's safe to say that nobody from work is invited, unless they have actually received an invitation.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Options
    As Shellsuit says, i think i would steer well clear, especially as he has said he'll see you when you get back.
    Just forget about it and welcome him back normally.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Wicked_witch
    Options
    I would say if you don't have a paper invitation, you aren't invited. It can be a lot more complex nowadays of course with email, facebook etc but I think that's the best path to follow here.
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    I know it is old fashioned - but could you send the happy couple a "telegram" to be read out at the reception? Just wishing them all the happiness in the world and sorry you couldn't be there?
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • Treacly
    Treacly Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the only question is whether you WANT to go or not? Frankly, I wouldn't cross the road to attend the nuptials of a naive, vague, socially inept 22-year-old, even if I had been properly invited. Stay home and drink buttered rum punch in front of a log fire.
    May NSDs 10/11 (Feb 8/10, Mar 11/10, April 11/11)
    May save on lunches challenge 12/18 (Feb 16/16, Mar 20/20, April 18/18)
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    In this situation, I wouldn't go

You say yourself that the groom has avoided the issue, and has said : Se you when I get back - I don't see that as an invite

No way would I go, it would put him on the spot, as well as messing with the numbers. I would just forget all about it tbh.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure