PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2010 at 10:45PM
    I'm having difficulty with this. Its because some of the things I bulk buy will last longer than 1 month. I really think,for me,it will be easier to do a 3 month spend then average the money per month. Will be more realistic that way. So far, this month its approx £93 on food for us and the cats, and soap powder and loo roll etc.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    so this month i made some butterscotch squares. Mmm, they are lush, and as they're quite filling, you only need a little piece, AND they freeze for four months! Sort of a cross between a flapjack and a cake, with melted fudge in! I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested...

Yes please - sounds like a good one for the teenagers.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Did my second big shop of the month yesterday - £18. Also, managed to cadge 3 portions of veggie lasagne from my housemate in exchange for half a block of cheese, which will save me some money on lunch!
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
  • £1.99 on snacks out today, but given £2.40 towards some other shopping from earlier in the week so still around the same spend.

With a bit of planning today would have cost zero, as have approved foods crisps (33p for large sensations bag) squirrelled at home which would have hit the spot!
    oh well, living and learning..
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Just totted up my spends from yesterday....... almost £15 on food in one day (spread across 4 stores), against less than £8 in the previous 5 days :eek: And only 22p saved in Whoopsie shopping (which was something I needed to get in, rather than impulse buying)!!!!

Nothing spent today though - so up to 4 NSDs for this month. Hoping NOT to be tempted to buy anything else until Friday/Saturday, as I've planned evening meals for 4 of the next 5 days - and I'm sure I can find something from the freezers/cupboards for the other.

Will assess on Fri/Sat what I need in for the following week (definitely potatoes by that point), but it's only me to worry about so I have fingers crossed for the best part of a week of NSDs after then as well :T DS is going away with my Dad, DD and GDs, so I've been through the freezers and found enough meals for the week where I either only have one portion left or DS doesn't like (or both).
    Cheryl
  • sorry so late to join and first time post:) but for Feb budget is £300, so far £61.97
    £460/2000 mortg overpayment
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Just totted up this weeks spends and it comes to £36.09 already! This does includes my fortnightly organic box delivery though and 3 trips to the supermarket, 2 made by dh and this would seem to be the problem! I love that he helps but need to be assertive when he decides that a shop needs to be done and get him to help me check the stores at home first. So we are living off the store cupboard/freezer again! Plenty of dried goods in (pasta, rice, noodles, tin toms, beans, soya mince and lentils) so should be ok.

We are back on to a healthy eating diet this week and have lots of fruit and veg in now. Going to go to Costcos at the end of the week to hopefully get a new mirror and while there we will get in some supplies but healthy only, which should help cut down the bills (so no more danish pastries!:()
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    We have already spent £70.. and to be honest we have nothing to show for it.. I saved a fair bit in January by being snowed in.... but in celebration we have allowed ourselves some treats and in honesty... we've got a bit silly. So back on the straight and narrow, I have written a meal plan, and a list, and we are sticking to it one way or another! We're going camping in May, and I want us to enjoy it, so I'm putting some money and bits aside each week (i.e. long life milk, beans, bottled water aswell as things towards the baking i'll do before we go!). Think i will also start doing an online shop so i can't start adding bits to the trolley on a whim! - I have no will power! Will update sig, once i have done the main shop :D
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    ragz wrote: »
    ....fajitas for dinner....I just worked out that's the most expensive meal I cook....only feeds two adults and the little ones for one meal....

FR Chicken breast £6.50 I buy a whole chicken & cut the breast off myself OR have used the remnents of a roast to make a 'cold' version without the spice mix. Then again, if you're having soured cream, could you stir the spices into that?
    ....suggested beef instead....We have sausages, beef, ham--anything wrapped in a tortilla with slices of salad veg gets called a fajita here :D

....Not even having a baby on Monday can excuse this much spending....YES IT DOES!
    I well recall the midwives warning of the Baby Blues a few days after the Bubb makes their first public appearance, & how they can take many forms. My prescription for you is a nice warm bath, followed by a hot beverage of your choice & the TIME to do both!
    ....Made some wheetabix cookies yum yum.
    Recipe please? And the one mentioned earlier by PennyGrabber too, cuz altho my lot are supposedly 'adults' now--by gum do they like their sweet treats :rotfl:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Hi Longtallsally, i got Mr T version of 'I cant believe its not....' (cant remember exact name and it tucked in back of freezer now!) on offer at moment 2 500g tubs for £1.50.

Longtallsally - I bought a tub of marg in Mr M, half price I think, anyway only 50P....sorry can't remember the name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure