Beware Plusnet Scam

Options
Like many people, I joined Plusnet as they promissed they would be 'the same price as TalkTalk but without an 18 month contract'.

Well, that was not exactly true.

Instead of £20 for unlimited landline calls, broadband and landline, as promissed, and as advertised on this site...

Its £25 for only 9 minutes a day of landline calls, and landline and broadband.

So that's an extra £60 a year, plus £££s for extra calls.

I don't know how many other people were taken in by this scam....

Comments

• mobilegossip
    mobilegossip Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    Can you show us a link to where it was suggested you would get unlimited calls etc for £20.

Their pricing is very clear on their site.
    http://www.plus.net/residential/bundles.shtml?wlr=bundlesbanner_homepage
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two points, Plusnet was not "advertised" on MSE as you suggest. The Plusnet offer may have been posted about on the forums by users but certainly not "advertised".

Second point, all companies have T&C's that users should read carefully before signing for any offer, the fact that someone may miss the small print does not make the offer a scam.

:)
  • t8769
    t8769 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Three points,

I feel sorry for pedantic idiots who scan others' posts for slight inaccuracies, in order to make themselves feel good pointing these out. A sign of sad inadequacy.

I have a life, so don't need to do this.

To the other poster, I was assured by two of their English operators and the information on this website that they were offering everything for £20mo.

Having mostly dealt with reasonably straight companies that do what they say, I did not get this in writing.

Perhaps there will be another pedantic idiot telling me that I should have got this. But if I had to get something in writing every time I was told something by a company, I would have to have a room full of letters.

This company mislead me and the people on this website by publicising an offer that did not exist.

Their pricing is very clear on their site now. The pricing was different when it was explained to me, and also to the person who runs this website.
  • GerardL
    GerardL Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    t8769 wrote:

I feel sorry for pedantic idiots who scan others' posts for slight inaccuracies, in order to make themselves feel good pointing these out. A sign of sad inadequacy.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Tight fisted accountant since birth.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found the post that said about the Plusnet deal. I know this is the one, because I see you posted on the thread that it took you 15 minutes to find their phone number on the site. The link on the thread takes you to a page that sets out exactly what your money gets you. It is as clear as day that the cheapest package only comes with 240 minutes of phone calls per month.

LINK TO THE THREAD

It must have been the thread in question, because a month later you posted about the lack of telephone helpline for Plusnet.

This deal was posted in the forums. It was not 'advertised' by Martin. If you scroll to the top of the page, you will see in red letters WARNING, then you need to read the first sentence...(quote)..This is an open forum, posts aren't endorsed by Moneysavingexpert.com, pls exercise caution when acting on any info.

You have read a post in the forums, ignored the information on the link provided, ignored the site warning about exercising caution with posts in the forum. Signed up for a deal without reading the small print, then called it a scam when you realised what you had signed up for. WOW.........and you had the cheek to call someone else an idiot!!!

In future, read what you are signing up for before you sign!!!
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • stiffnuts69
    stiffnuts69 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Well Said Rex

We get these type of idiots every day that dont read the t+c's dont check the information and then come moaning to Trading Standards saying they have been scammed, or ripped off or mislead, because they cant be bothered to read for a few minutes and check over a few details.
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    I always look for the catch, especially when they're trying to compare to the "cheapest".
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • t8769
    Options
    Damn right stiffnuts69

When a customer calls Plusnet and is told

"Join us now and in July you'll get Broadband/Landline/Unlimited landline calls, and then the customer goes to Moneysavingexpert and finds the same offer publicised.

The customer should automatically assume that Plusnet were lying, and this website was putting out incorrect information.

I also realise that I should have used my Tardis to go into the future, and read Terms, that didn't exist when I signed up, then got back in my Tardis, and come back to the present.

I just don't understand stiffnuts69, why people are too lazy to read Terms that haven't been written yet, and aren't available. What is wrong with people!!!!!

Why can't people see into the future.. its a mystery.

Obviously all Plusnet operators are liars, and whatever they say should be taken as such, until the Terms have been put on the website.

Perhaps it would be simpler if your company put these words on their website.

WARNING

PLUSNET OPERATORS LIE. DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT HAS NOT BEEN VERIFIED, EVEN GUARANTEES OF FUTURE OFFERS WITH NO PUBLISHED TERMS.

Please suggest this to your boss.
  • t8769
    Options
    PS

I assume by 'these types of idiots' as people who believs Plusnet operators, and don't take what they say automatically as a lie.

A clever person always believs Plusnet are lying.

I get it now.
  • t8769
    Options
    Rex_Mundi

I see you have a knack for invention and fantasy, congradulations.

The £20 inclusive deal was not in a forum, it was publicised on the site in broadband comparison charts.

The terms and conditions weren't there for everyone to see, as the deal wasn't available yet.

I didn't join due to what was advertised here, but what operators assured me.

In future perhaps you should READ POSTS PROPERLY before making up your own facts, and then reply to yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure