We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 10

1…818819821823824…1183

Comments

  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Searching, I would NOT put it on the CC. Just keep paying what you can every week/month as you can. The very worst that can happen is they arrest your wages when you return to work and it is a tiny amount they can take. We actually preferred it when they did that to DH. It was £14 off a wage of £180. I know you don't like the debt hanging over you, but please, don't create more to pay it off.
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    tia i thought as much i just wanted someone to tell me it was a bad idea .. philip did say to but just wanted to check he was right ..

    harley i shall give you a shout if i get stuck x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • SM, did you not already pay well over £100 off that debt already ?? So it is now under £300 that you owe !! Def dont put an interest free debt that you can pay off onto a card that will charge up to 22% interest !!!!!!!
    The two best things I have done with my life
    :TDD 5/11/02 :j DS 17/6/09 :T
    STOPTOBER CHALLANGE ... here we go !!
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    tiamai_d wrote: »
    Sami, formula top up is something I looked into with Amber because there would be a high risk of her having low sugars. Expressing colostrum in the first few days is hard and you get very little. If the baby is struggling to feed enough from you to keep their sugars up then formula top ups (or donated milk) is, in my mind, a far better choice than being put on a drip. She fed most of the night and was getting a lot of colostrum (it was dribbling out her mouth and she did a big sick with lots of milk so from that she was feeding well) but still her sugar levels dropped. After a 30min feed they had dropped further, so I requested a formula top up which was cup fed. Unfortunately it wasn't enough for her and she ended up on a drip anyway.

    The problem is that the lower the sugar levels go, the sleepier they get, the harder it is to get them to feed, the lower they drop. And with brain damage being a risk of low sugar levels, I wasn't messing about.
    I agree that when GD is a factor then maybe formula top up is needed (everything I know about GD is from u n glam) but it wasn't in our case and his sugar wasn't low at all 'they' just decided he hadn't fed enough

    :)
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2010 at 8:53PM
    SM, did you not already pay well over £100 off that debt already ?? So it is now under £300 that you owe !! Def dont put an interest free debt that you can pay off onto a card that will charge up to 22% interest !!!!!!!

    ive paid £150 .. im just dreading them saying its not showing enough willing think i may cry again if they do x

    its £400 after id paid the £150 x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Internet poo still
    Other things poo still

    Keep trying to catch up but internet poo(did I say that already;))

    Miss all you lovely ladies and I am waiting for curry to arrive:D
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sami_Bee wrote: »
    I agree that when GD is a factor then maybe formula top up is needed (everything I know about GD is from u n glam) but it wasn't in our case and his sugar wasn't low at all 'they' just decided he hadn't fed enough

    :)

    Ah right. All 3 had hypoglycemia, the boys due to the labitalol I was on for my high BP and poor wee Amber had a double whammy of labitalol and GD.

    3.3-3.6mMl is about the minimum they like. But if the HP test shows as lower than that, ask for a full test which usually shows it up as a bit above the HP test. Ambers was 2.5 so I asked for a formula top up, then 2.2, then 1.8 from the full test after 2 top ups and a half hour feed. So she got stuck with a needle in her hand :(

    Above 3.5 and she could come back to the ward and that would have happened quicker if I could feed her when I wanted too rather than when they said I could, then they would tut and turn up the sugar drip - !!!!!!!s :mad:

    The boys had NG tubes with EBM mixed with fortifier and breast feeds but they had a few more problems and I have no idea what their sugar levels were.
  • Oh yeah they took Katie away for her sugars too - but she was only gone for 5 mins.

    I also had to leave her in the nursery when we went downstairs to the other post-natal ward to register her, I was most miffed as the lift was broken, it took me ages to do the stairs as I was 4 days post section.

    She didn't have any top ups at any point only nappy changes.

    Sami - Yay for the Icandy, the colour sounds gorgeous, I love teal.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DD Katie born April 2007!
    3 years 9 months and proud of it
    dreams do come true (eventually!)

  • ive paid £150 .. im just dreading them saying its not showing enough willing think i may cry again if they do x

    How much are you going to offer them ??
    A £300 being repaid over 1 year is only £5.75 a week. So I would not think that a lump sum of £150 ad regular payments of around £5 a week would be deemed not willing, you know now that you have made a payment they cant do that anyway !!

    However, you have to talk to them to see what they are expecting and may have to go through a SOA with them if they think you can pay more, but in the end, so long as you offer something, they will 99% of the time accept !!
    The two best things I have done with my life
    :TDD 5/11/02 :j DS 17/6/09 :T
    STOPTOBER CHALLANGE ... here we go !!
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Searching so long as it has been regular payments they can't do anything. If they do take you to court they run the risk of being told off for wasting time and upping the debt. Has to be regular though, so even if you manage to scrape up say £30, pay £20 and keep the £10 for next time. Make payments on the same day each month, the same minimum payment and it shows that you are paying it off to the best of your financial abilities.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.