B&Q changing their refund without receipt policy

Options
Just a warning that from the 15th February, B&Q will no longer issue a credit note as a refund for goods if you don't have proof of purchase.

I took some items back today, without the receipt and got a credit note - but was told that after the 15th Feb, they won't be able to do it...!

So - if you need to return something, you've got two weeks!!!
Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!

Comments

• They did this a while back at my local store but changed it back to credit notes but i think 28 days only 2 days later. They honored the credit note as a good will gesture for me as they had changed it that day.
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    I got the impression that this was going to be a National change, rather than a local one....but maybe someone who works for B&Q can confirm?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am amazed B & Q were allowing this in the first place,they don't have to.
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2010 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Dizzie77 wrote: »
    So - if you need to return something, you've got two weeks!!!

??? I know some of us let stuff slide from time to time, but surely if you've got something from B&Q that needs to go back, then you're going to do it in two weeks.

I think the average man in the street keeps his receipts. Some more organised than others. Mine stay in my wallet for a week or so and then get stuffed in one big envelope- but they are there. I'm not unusually organised, in fact I would say this makes me more disorganised than the average.

Anyway, a reminder to be responsible and keep reciepts is always welcome, even if the implicit accusation that most of us don't isn't. Is this just for unwanted items?
  • bitemebankers
    Options
    What a shame.

B&Q have been quite strong on customer service for a few years now. It's sad to see them changing this policy - presumably too many people were taking the mick.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • baby_fuzz
    Options
    B&Q are still great though - often you buy stuff for DIY, and it sits around for a while, so their long returns period is good. We just have a draw where we keep all the DIY receipts - so we know exactly where to find them, when we realise that we have bought too many of one item; didn't need something in the end; or something doesn't look like it will fit. :D
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    Baby_Fuzz - When I went through the till point, there was a notice saying that they had changed their returns policy too - It is shorter now, but I can't remember what it said it was...and what it is now....
    But yes, I would imagine that too many people were just taking the mick, so they are clamping down
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work for B&Q on the returns till mostly, and it probably is down to too many people taking the mick.

We had people with 5 litre tins of emulsion, and it was only when they got to the dregs that they realised they should have had gloss.

Christmas lights that somehow stopped working around the 3rd Jan (I had a socket by my till that I used to used to check the lights and if they worked I refused the return)
  • Ivory_Tinkler
    Options
    Maybe many of the big retailers are tightening up their returns policy because of people taking the mick which is really sad, but I suppose that they are not in business to be abused and it just makes it harder for those of us who do play fair. M&S recently reduced their returns period too.
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Some people have no shame. It's those people who spoil it for the rest of us.

I imagine that people who try it on believe they're not really doing anything wrong because in their view "everybody does it."
    :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport