mobiles.co.uk GRRRRR

Options

Comments

• shareef
    shareef Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    I too am having problems with them now. I had good dealings with them before but now they are just plain ignoring customers! I sent a cashback claim in and was acknowledged but since then nothing! i have emailed 6 times just to ask for an update, and not ONE reply! Nor is there any phone number to speak to someone, I will simply have to inform everyone to stay away from these jokers.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you simply give up, then you are a mug.

You should follow the advice of MobileJunkie and others and write them a letter Before Action threatening court action if they do not pay within 14 days in full and then be prepared to issue a claim through MCOL / Small claims but only (a) if you still have the acknowledgment and (b) if you are 100% sure that you claimed within the terms of their t&c.

I may be corrected, but they don't usually let it get to court and you can get your court fees added to the claim.

Unless MJ is kind and repeats just all the steps you need to go through or sends a link, then spend a little bit of time searching for all the mobiles.co.uk threads that mention LBA and claims. It may take a little time. Also search for "Cashback for Dummies" which should have had a sticky in my opinion.
  • shareef
    shareef Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    I am not going to give up and I have been sent it within their t and c's so there is no issue on my end.
  • WychWeird
    WychWeird Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    shareef and KosmicPink225, if you're sure you've done everything correctly and you can back it up with copies of emails, screenshots and the like, then persist. From my own personal experience with this company it is possible to get things sorted to your satisfaction (even if it does take some time.) In any case, don't sit around - get on to them and get in dialogue as soon as possible.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 26 July 2010 at 8:05PM
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    N o t t h e m e s s a g e. T h e p r o s e t h a t w a s u s e d.

There, spelled out for you. (Well it would be if the wretched bold font worked!)

Now I get it; much harder to read when put that way. Perhaps that's why when I spelled out time and again the FACT that I personally knew of two declined cashbacks your response was to ask for "proof" - and when supplied you ignored it. Same again when I spelled out a long list of blatantly untrue statements on here by the rep; your response was that I was unfairly attacking him and it wasn't his fault but everyone else's in his "organisation" and mine for pointing it out. Again you asked for proof - and despite supplying it several times over you ignored it all.

Finally the penny has dropped - perhaps because you are now actually a customer of theirs like the rest of us rather than a spectator on the sidelines, but really because there are now so many people coming on here with denied cashbacks that even you have to advise others to avoid.

Ultimately, just about all the things I have warned about for the last 12 months in respect of this dealer are now clear to everyone - even you. You also should wonder why I attacked the rep's posts. The reason was very simple indeed; just about everything he said and every response he gave was to paint a rosy picture, promote the company and provide misinformation about what was really going on - a myth which has now been exposed.

Now - who needs spelling lessons???
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now I get it; much harder to read when put that way. Perhaps that's why when I spelled out time and again the FACT that I personally knew of two declined cashbacks your response was to ask for "proof" - and when supplied you ignored it. Same again when I spelled out a long list of blatantly untrue statements on here by the rep; your response was that I was unfairly attacking him and it wasn't his fault but everyone else's in his "organisation" and mine for pointing it out. Again you asked for proof - and despite supplying it several times over you ignored it all.

Finally the penny has dropped - perhaps because you are now actually a customer of theirs like the rest of us rather than a spectator on the sidelines, but really because there are now so many people coming on here with denied cashbacks that even you have to advise others to avoid.

Ultimately, just about all the things I have warned about for the last 12 months in respect of this dealer are now clear to everyone - even you. You also should wonder why I attacked the rep's posts. The reason was very simple indeed; just about everything he said and every response he gave was to paint a rosy picture, promote the company and provide misinformation about what was really going on - a myth which has now been exposed.

Now - who needs spelling lessons???

I have looked back at your earliest threads and mine. Going back to March, as earlier ones have been removed. I have consistently had a go at the rep and the company, but in an objective manner, when the company manifestly failed to perform. Check for yourself.

But when I and others asked you for some evidence of some of your less clear and less precise gripes about the company, you frequently refused to give them.

Regrettably, some of the earlier threads have now gone but this one http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2354279&highlight= does show that, contrary to your claim in the quote, you would not give any MSE member who asked any evidence.

Now I have a contract I am monitoring for a young friend and the first casback has been paid. But I have said that the number of refused cashback threads in the last couple of months are such that I would not have put the order in to them as I value my time and would not want to run the risk of having to go through the LBA/suing route if a valid claim was refused.

So, I have absolutely no quarrel with you about the current performance of this company which, in my view, has gone even more downhill in its dealings with customers in the last couple of months.

Your advice to newbies and those with problems is generally good and knowledgeable, although often accompanied by a lecture on their incompetence/lack of capability to take on cashbacks as well as frequent reference to your own infallibility that detracts a little.

I sometimes wonder if you are secretly glad CPW is here in order to give you a soapbox to preach from. Having said that, I would not decry your knowledge about cashbacks, but being less critical of those who have fallen foul might be a better way. eg from this thread alone

"However, in your case you plainly had no idea whatsoever how cashback contracts work and rather than invest the required time in finding out you made huge assumptions which have led you into your predicament. Do you really believe a free lunch is served up with no strings whatsoever?"
  • mobilejunkie
    edited 26 July 2010 at 9:34PM
    Options
    March isn't long ago; I had been providing evidence for months before that and it all fell on deaf ears. As I also pointed out on that thread, you didn't ask the rep for proof yet expected me to provide personal details which could have had a detrimental effect on my own contracts/people.

I totally disagree about the denied cashbacks being a "new" development. Again, on that extract I made the point (yet again) that claims were being denied yet the rep kept saying none were! Just because people weren't appearing on here in droves at that time doesn't mean it wasn't happening - which was precisely what I had been pointing out for a long time. I find it extremely odd that you didn't credit my warnings at the time to any great extent, yet here we are up to a year later and what was happening then is still happening now - the only difference being that more have ended up publicly on here. Also at that time I often contrasted cpw dealers with Phones4u - with whom I had enjoyed the most perfect cashback responses at every stage and for whom there was a almost a complete absence of problems on here. Given that at any one time I am running up to 15 concurrent cashback deals it should be evident that I am likely to encounter problems of all varieties when others who run one or two don't encounter any. I therefore get a wider sample of the companies which I use and know full well when a rep on here isn't telling the truth - sometimes, blatantly.

It has always been a mystery to me why whatever "ben" said you either accepted or excused as someone else's inaccuracy or let down. I gave him several chances to tell the truth and he did the complete opposite. When drawing that to your attention with numerous specific examples - as others did - you took no notice. I do believe you actually have good intentions and know more than most - BUT papering over cracks and giving succour to a mouthpiece whose real purpoase on here was plainly to disguise what was really happening actually did no favours to the "innocents" you also now accuse me of being critical with when they don't heed all the warnings or even do any research before plunging in. Thousands of people have lost millions of pounds doing that with various cashback companies in the last few years I've been involved.

In order to help people it's necessary 1) to warn and alert them to what is involved in cashback deals AND the dishonest practices that certain dealers use to deny them their money and 2) to offer effective advice for them to solve problems once they find themselves in a mess. I (or anyone else) can only do the first if people get a clear and accurate message and the second if they ask for help while there's still something which can be done - in which case specifics are needed rather than generalisations months after the event. They only time I lost any cashback money was when Mobile Affiliates went bust. At that time I reacted swiftly and severely mitigated the loss; I went to that dealer with my eyes wide open and did not once blame them for my loss. I believe I must have been the only customer (or close to) who didn't; these threads were full of people calling them every name under the sun and coming up with threats, stupidity and totally misdirected ideas which helped no-one - least of all themselves.

There's not much new under the sun with cashback deals; as I have also said for the last year, Mobiles.co.uk. is little different than its cpw clones - another thing you didn't accept at the time. Thus when I warned that this was just another cpw dealer reacting with very similar responses on here to other such dealers I was told I have some sort of "crusade" against cpw. Strange how in times past I was accused (more than once) of working for them!

Dealers get my responses according to theirs; Mobiles.co.uk and their rep have had an entirely fair and consistent volume of feedback from me AND been given LOTS of chances to act differently. The fact (and it was a clear fact) that they had absolutely NO intention of so doing condemned them to the inevitable public airing of their true nature.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have looked back at your earliest threads and mine. Going back to March, as earlier ones have been removed. I have consistently had a go at the rep and the company, but in an objective manner, when the company manifestly failed to perform. Check for yourself.

No they haven't been removed (apart from the ones that were deleted by some peoples wisdom) a lot are still there.

Theres been problems with this company for a long time which go back on here to 2008 but it seems that they got worse from Jan 2009 onwards with mentions of the usual money taken from accounts, cashback not paid, people taking them to court, people not getting communication from them, hanging on the phone etc etc etc.
    So, I have absolutely no quarrel with you about the current performance of this company which, in my view, has gone even more downhill in its dealings with customers in the last couple of months.
    It might have gone "even more downhill" as you put it but the same problems have been there for a long time and the warnings have been there too about what unlucky people are going to encounter.

This latest angle about the online redemption system for example, I warned people almost 4 months ago about the folly of having no record of what has been sent them to claim cashback and pointed it out to Ben ....who then promptly jumped ship never to be seen again.

Even customers such as Shareef (above) who had previously come out in support of mobiles.co.uk at the end of last year are starting to experiance first hand what some of us have been going through.

The comment about "current performance" makes it sound like this current situation is something new !!! ...it isn't it's been there a long time it just seems to be affecting more people at the moment but thats of no consolation to those that have suffered at the hands of mobiles.co.uk in the past ;)
    It's not just about the money
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Actually if you read through even the page GD linked I am confused about his point; it all merely shows that everything I said was not only valid but now apparent to all - even if it wasn't to the few then - and that his posts about no evidence of denied cashback claims etc is rather ironic in view of this and many other discussions about those issues. He also always assumes that threads were closed because of my "vitreolic" attacks on poor old Ben; could it be they were closed because Ben was using it as HIS soapbox to present an untrue image of his company and what it was up to!? The fact that Ben has a business interest in promoting his site and I have no interest as such either way is also always discounted. Poor old Ben!

For someone who claims to know my motives and Ben's he obviously also knows this site's reasons for everything too. There are some places where the light will never shine.
  • Guys_Dad
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good to see the mutual appreciation society back in action and the joint "Thank you" counts rising.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure