HGV/LGV Funded Training

Options

Comments

• CB1985
    CB1985 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    pinkpig08 wrote: »
    You mentioned earlier about the class 1 being rigid - I thought Class 2 was rigid and Class one being the artics? And you have to have your Class 2 before you can do the Class 1.

its all changed, DVLA changing classifications although my mates and old man still use th old classification

its now C and C+E

Category
    Description

C
    Vehicles over 3,500 kg, with a trailer up to 750 kg

C+E
    As category C but with a trailer over 750 kg
  • CB1985
    Options
    direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

you need the h t t p : / / w w w .

i cant post links since im new
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2010 at 11:33PM
    Options
    We paid for it ourselves ,borrowed the money and lived on beans on
    toast ( without the beans sometimes )until we could afford to pay it back !
    It is amazing how people out of work lately seem to expect everything handed to them on a plate ,training etc ?
    If you want something ,invest in your own future ,dont expect someone else to do it for you ,you can always find a way :cancel sky ,stop smoking ,cut back in other ways but if you REALLY want it there is always a way ,good luck !

Mind you thou HGV work is not too hot at the mo ,too much comp from foreign drivers that work for peanuts ,the pay isnt what it was AND there are more and more restrictions that make it impossible to work long enough hours to ear a good wage + the market was flooded with hGV driver years ago due to Army training:(
  • CB1985
    Options
    skiTTish wrote: »
    We paid for it ourselves ,borrowed the money and lived on beans on
    toast ( without the beans sometimes ) until we could afford to pay it back )
    It is surprised how people out of work lately seem to expect everything handed to them on a play ,training etc ?
    If you want something ,invest in your own future ,dont expect someone else to do it for you ,you can always find a way ,cancel sky ,stop smoking ,cut back in other ways but if you REALLY want it there is always a way ,good luck !
    Mind you thou HGV work is too hot at the mo ,too much comp from foreign driver that work for peanuts ,the pay isnt what it was AND there are more and more restrictions that make it impossible to work long enough hours to ear a good wage + the market was flooded with hGV driver years ago due to Army training:(

id love to have someone to loan me th money and do it off my own back, id have been through it by now if that was a possibility, (anyone wanna lend me a grand LOL)

as regards overseas drivers, mainly eastern european, yes huge influx of them, and yes work for peanuts but they are costing companies millions elsewhere by not respecting vehicles and basically trashing them, and i think firms are finally catching on to this fact (not all do it i know) and the restrictions are getting a little silly but not everyone can drive 20 hours straight for example so i do understand why they are in place and agree with some

but i do see where your coming from, if my credit wasnt shot i would have got a CDL
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2010 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    Education is really a brillant thing:D
    Not that you'd know Annihilator* as yours clearly wasn't up to much! Your spelling is dire! You use "hearts" instead of "hurts" (even a five year old could tell the difference); you can't differentiate between "your" and "you're"; you don't understand when to use an apostrophe, and you think "unindated" is a word... Yet you have the nerve to call someone else "thick".

To the OP, despite what certain trolls think, there IS driving work out there. Six months ago my sister's boyfriend got the very same pieces of paper you're after and has found plenty of work through agencies. Once you've landed one contract, you're very likely to get another.

I hope you get some funding from somewhere.

Briona

*This is the correct spelling of annihilator.
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • elmccw
    elmccw Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    "as regards overseas drivers, mainly eastern european, yes huge influx of them, and yes work for peanuts but they are costing companies millions elsewhere by not respecting vehicles and basically trashing them, and i think firms are finally catching on to this fact (not all do it i know) and the restrictions are getting a little silly but not everyone can drive 20 hours straight for example so i do understand why they are in place and agree with some"

Sorry to burst your bubble, but these foreign drivers are driving for foreign firms.
    They pay less than UK firms pay for diesel. (huge tanks, do not need to refuel in Uk)
    They earn less than Uk drivers.
    They work more hours do not aheed to the EU directive.

If you can get a free HGV license then take it and count your lucky stars.

However My DH is about to be made redundant, he has HGVI, clean licence, forklift licence, MOFFIT licence, Digital Tacho, Level 4 clearance at airports, TWENTY YEARS EXPERIENCE, and I still think he will struggle to get a job
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    elmccw wrote: »

However My DH is about to be made redundant, he has HGVI, clean licence, forklift licence, MOFFIT licence, Digital Tacho, Level 4 clearance at airports, TWENTY YEARS EXPERIENCE, and I still think he will struggle to get a job
    Really sorry to hear that ,good luck for the future and hope he finds something soon .
    It becoming an all too common occurrence ,a few years ago you could name your price as a truck driver now 10 a penny :(
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    Has to be said, I have lost all respect and any sympathy for the OP after some of the atrocious language used on this board.

Absolutely no need for it whatsoever.
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinkpig08 wrote: »
    Have you considered trying to get a job to save and fund your own training? My husband is an HGV driver, he did his C+E last year and had to pay approx £1000 for it. It's not cheap but if it's what you really want to do then it's worth saving up for.

My other half has done his medical and theory, he did have a class 2 text booked for a fortnight ago, but it was called off by the test people due to the ice in the test centre (makes it impossible for an emergency stop apparently, and it they can't do the emergency stop, then they won't do the test)

He is currently working shifts that he hates, in a company that he hates, he's only sticking it out while he gets his licence. He did 25 days of 12 hours shifts straight through in December to get the money for his licence.
  • passatrider
    Options
    Tozer wrote: »
    Has to be said, I have lost all respect and any sympathy for the OP after some of the atrocious language used on this board.

Absolutely no need for it whatsoever.

I'm sorry but how do you expect him to react when attacked in the way he was?

I too am out of work at the moment and on JSA. To have someone pass judgement on you when they have no idea of your situation is frankly dispicable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure