Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Winter fuel payment petition - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Winter fuel payment petition

edited 13 January 2010 at 12:51PM in Disability Money Matters
444 replies 23.2K views

Replies

• Since we have done this sort of thing before DLA v's pensioners, I am just going to recycle my post :D
    DX2 wrote: »
    Winter Fuel Payments: Disabled

Danny Alexander: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions if he will estimate the cost of extending the winter fuel payment scheme to disabled people under 60 years who are in receipt of (a) the middle or higher rate care component and (b) the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance in each of the next five years. [200574]

Mr. Mike O'Brien:Winter fuel payments were created to give pensioners reassurance that they can afford to heat their homes in winter. It is paid in a lump sum each winter to ensure that money is available when fuel bills arrive.
    Help is already available through disability benefits and the disability premium in income-related benefits in recognition of the extra costs, including heating, which disabled people may have. The extra heating needs of disabled people by and large, arise all year round, not just in the winter months.
    Information is not available in the format requested. Many individuals are in receipt of both a care component and mobility component of disability living allowance (DLA).
    The following table details the estimated cost of extending winter fuel payments to individuals in receipt of some combination of the higher or middle rate care component of DLA and/or the higher rate mobility component of DLA or one of these components on its own.
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmhansrd/cm080501/text/80501w0004.htm

The following table details the estimated cost of extending winter fuel payments to individuals in receipt of some combination of the higher or middle rate care component of DLA and/or the higher rate mobility component of DLA or one of these components on its own.
    All under 60 (including children)2008-09 prices (£ million)Total cost in each year
    2008-09 290 million
    2009-10 290 million
    2010-11 290 million
    2011-12 285 million
    2012-13 280 million
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • edited 14 January 2010 at 12:39PM
    krisskrosskrisskross
    7.7K posts
    edited 14 January 2010 at 12:39PM
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Do you know his circumstances though? No-one has to justify themseleves to you, as to what we do & don't spend our DLA on.

Like people have already said, DLA DOESN'T cover the full costs of being disabled. Try telling that to people like myself, who often have to save up their DLA to buy things, or spend their own money on disability related stuff.

For most people heating isn't the only disability related expensive they have.

Yes I do know his circumstances. He is my grandson. I was not suggesting anyone should have to justify anything but some posters seem to think pensioners should prove that they actually spend the WFA on energy bills so why shouldn't DLA recipients prove what they spend their benefit on?

As for DLA not covering all the cost of being disabled. It is only meant to help. Do you not get any other benefits? No income support, housing and council tax paid for etc?What you call spending your own money is possibly just other benefit payments. Do you think that working people don't have to spend 'their own money' on stuff they need or want? We as pensioners should be incensed that we have to spend some of our own money on heating. Why can't we just submit the whole bill and get it paid? Do you think non disabled people don't have to save up for things they want? Add up the total cost of your benefit package and I bet it comes to more than my £230 a month pension plus £1.25 a week as my share of a couple's WFP. And I worked from age 16 to 59.
  • shouldn't we all be petitioning for cheaper gas and electricity across the board so that we can all worry less about our bill?
    :rotfl:Don't be silly, how dare you come here with such a sensible suggestion!
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shouldn't we all be petitioning for cheaper gas and electricity across the board so that we can all worry less about our bill?

Yes...now what you need is a fully integrated gas and electricity industry which is big enuogh to privde good service and have the financial muscle to negotiate fair prices...oh wait a minute,,,didnt we used to have that and werent they called..

The British Gas Corporation
    Central Electricity Generating Board

But Joe and Joella public bleated about how bad and nasty they were so the nice government chopped them up,sold them off and now its even worse when it wasnt bad in the first place!!

Nice trick
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • TrialiaTrialia Forumite
    1.1K posts
    krisskross, if you missed my earlier post, I specified a lot of exactly what my DLA goes towards. I'm 23, and I live alone. Being young doesn't mean you automatically spend all your income on computer games or treats like that - your grandson appears to be a special case in that regard! Why don't his parents ask him for some form of contribution towards their taking care of him, if he doesn't give them anything? When I was living with my father and stepmother I did, and if I want a computer game I save up for it.

What you don't seem to realise is that Income Support, Housing Benefit and DLA still do not cover everything for those of us who do need help. I have to watch every penny to manage, just like people who do work - and it frustrates me that I can't work, because I've known what field I want to go into from a very young age, and the benefits that I get are just barely enough to live on.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • edited 14 January 2010 at 1:37PM
    krisskrosskrisskross
    7.7K posts
    edited 14 January 2010 at 1:37PM
    Trialia wrote: »
    krisskross, if you missed my earlier post, I specified a lot of exactly what my DLA goes towards. I'm 23, and I live alone. Being young doesn't mean you automatically spend all your income on computer games or treats like that - your grandson appears to be a special case in that regard! Why don't his parents ask him for some form of contribution towards their taking care of him, if he doesn't give them anything? When I was living with my father and stepmother I did, and if I want a computer game I save up for it.

What you don't seem to realise is that Income Support, Housing Benefit and DLA still do not cover everything for those of us who do need help. I have to watch every penny to manage, just like people who do work - and it frustrates me that I can't work, because I've known what field I want to go into from a very young age, and the benefits that I get are just barely enough to live on.

My grandson does contribute to household expenses. He uses his IB payments for this. He still has all his DLA to spend on treats and fripperies. All I was trying to point out is that ALL of us have to save for things we want, very few of us don't have to watch our expenditure carefully. This is not purely the province of those receiving DLA.

I know another couple with a child who on the face of it earn good money. However the cost of their high mortgage plus childcare plus getting to work season tickets mean that they are certainly no better off than a family on benefits. And they are out of the house for 13 hours a day. Their car is an 'L' registration and has just given up the ghost. They earn just barely enough to live on. Sometimes people who live on benefits have no idea how difficult it is for those in work, not all workers live a luxurious life you know. A £40k a year job will end up as less than £30K after deductions. At least £20K a year benefits will still be £20K plus a guaranteed increase every year.

I have read many posters on here convinced they could command huge salaries if only their health allowed them to work. Those sort of jobs are very few and far between.
  • TulipTulip Forumite
    29.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    signed the petition
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K posts
    krisskross wrote: »
    As for DLA not covering all the cost of being disabled. It is only meant to help. Do you not get any other benefits? No income support, housing and council tax paid for etc?What you call spending your own money is possibly just other benefit payments. Do you think that working people don't have to spend 'their own money' on stuff they need or want? We as pensioners should be incensed that we have to spend some of our own money on heating. Why can't we just submit the whole bill and get it paid? Do you think non disabled people don't have to save up for things they want? Add up the total cost of your benefit package and I bet it comes to more than my £230 a month pension plus £1.25 a week as my share of a couple's WFP. And I worked from age 16 to 59.

Not everyone on DLA receives other benefits. As stated in another thread, even if I received LHA, I wuld have to find another £10+ per week to cover rent. Being a full-time student exempts me from council tax; but that's not the point.

Actually you're wrong - my benefits per month are just under £150. Out of that, I am expected to pay for things such as nappy sacks, costs to & from hospital, taxi vouchers, (can't drive and am not really meant to be out by myself) extra washing, new clothes (I can only wear certain clothes for various reasons) and nappies / pads.

I can garuntee you that it comes to a lot more than £150 per month.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • TrialiaTrialia Forumite
    1.1K posts
    krisskross, I didn't say I imagined I could command a huge salary if only my health allowed me to work. I'm simply pointing out that the stereotype of people on DLA having it much easier than people who work full-time for the same money and DLA recipients not wanting to work is all - for most people - very much a mistaken assumption.

Oh, and I don't get IB.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • sh1305 wrote: »
    Not everyone on DLA receives other benefits. As stated in another thread, even if I received LHA, I wuld have to find another £10+ per week to cover rent. Being a full-time student exempts me from council tax; but that's not the point.

Actually you're wrong - my benefits per month are just under £150. Out of that, I am expected to pay for things such as nappy sacks, costs to & from hospital, taxi vouchers, (can't drive and am not really meant to be out by myself) extra washing, new clothes (I can only wear certain clothes for various reasons) and nappies / pads.

I can garuntee you that it comes to a lot more than £150 per month.

Do you get student benefits? I can't believe DLA is your sole income. Unless of course you have a partner who supports you.

I think this whole who gets what and it's not fair thing is a generational issue.

My generation who never got any sort of benefits except 5 bob a week for a second and subsequent child consider ourselves fortunate to be living in a country where we matter to the extent that we are given a lump sum each winter to ensure we can afford to keep warm. I certainly do.

Younger people often seem to be of the view that all their living costs should be picked up by taxpayers and this is their right. It is a privilege not a right to live in a country where living costs will be met for those unable to provide for themselves without having to contribute a single sou, which is why desperate people from other countries risk their lives to get here.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support