Winter fuel payment petition

edited 13 January 2010 at 12:51PM in Disability Money Matters
444 replies 23.1K views

Replies

• sheeps68sheeps68 Forumite
    658 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    From DWP website "Disability Living Allowance - sometimes referred to as DLA - is a tax-free benefit for children and adults who need help with personal care or have walking difficulties because they are physically or mentally disabled.

a care component - if you need help looking after yourself or supervision to keep you safe
    a mobility component - if you can't walk or need help getting around"

I think that clearly shows what DLA is for. If not working Income support etc has to stretch to cover every other need eg accomodation food, fuel heat clothing. A person working has to make their salary stretch.
  • mellc wrote: »
    Sorry thats what i meant, so why isn't WFP means tested? in fact the CWP which is means tested would involve 10 weeks of zero conditions before we would get the same amount, or in the case of a couple 16 weeks, and while i'm asking questions why does a couple get more than a single person, do they not both feel the same heat?

Regards to WFP, a couple do not receive more than a single person, they receive the same amount.

As for CWP, I have no idea as I don't know anyone who claims pension credit to find out if it's per person.
    In spite of the cost of living, it’s still popular :eek:
  • moonsilk2 wrote: »
    No I dont get pension credit, I was just inquiring.
    I know you were enquiring, and as I had pointed out already it wasn't a simple case of yes/no. Due to your age I thought perhaps you might be eligible for pension credit which would then make you eligible for a CWP.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • The annual cost of extending winter fuel payments to people aged under 60 receiving disability living allowance under the special rules related to a terminal illness is estimated at approximately £6 million. :eek: :eek:
    http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm071011/text/71011w0014.htm

That's just for terminal illness, imagine what it would cost if every person on DLA got it!
    *SIGH*
  • DX2 wrote: »
    The annual cost of extending winter fuel payments to people aged under 60 receiving disability living allowance under the special rules related to a terminal illness is estimated at approximately £6 million. :eek: :eek:
    http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm071011/text/71011w0014.htm

That's just for terminal illness, imagine what it would cost if every person on DLA got it!

Problem is a lot of people who are used to their income just appearing in the bank without any effort on their part forget that it all has to be paid for by someone.
  • krisskross wrote: »
    Problem is a lot of people who are used to their income just appearing in the bank without any effort on their part forget that it all has to be paid for by someone.
    :rotfl:Sounds like my son! You can go to the hole in the wall...
    *SIGH*
  • I would like to point out that many people who live in warmer climes do NOT qualify for the Winter Fuel payment. You only get it if you qualified in the Uk before you went to live abroad (i.e. if you were over 60). You don't get it if you went abroad before you were 60.

And anyway Spain IS cold in the winter. We have had freezing winds and snow this last two weeks.

As regards disabled getting the allowance, I can only agree with what others have said, that DLA and other Benenfits are there to cover that.

(I do NOT get the Winter Fuel payment as I am still (just) under 60 and neither does my husband who is nearly 61 as he has not qualified for it in the UK).
    people over 60 do get dla aswell as wfp
  • Misty_Blue wrote: »
    and pensioners have to use their pensions
    lots of pensioners also get dla or attendance allowance and still get wfa
  • Misty_Blue wrote: »
    but they dont get DLA do they ?
    and they only get winter fuel allowance during the winter, not all year round like DLA
    if pensioners are disabled then they to can get dla or attendance allowance if over 65 and the wfa
  • Think the best solution is to raise the State pension by at least £5 a week but keep that £5 back and give it as a lump sum in November. Perhaps then you would stop casting greedy covetous eyes at something someone else is getting.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support