We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

January save on work lunches challenge

Options

Comments

• wigwam
    wigwam Posts: 234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't been on a while to update - sorry, been very busy.
    Completed 5/5 last week, and 1/5 this week so far....
    Total spend so far £11 - on ONE day - great motivator to stay on track.
  • bLaZiNgDucK
    Options
    Got my lunch already for today. Took lunch in yesterday. so that 2 out of 2 for this week.
    To be figured out!
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haven't found inspiration so far to do any lunches. Really need to step it up! Will have a think tomorrow over what to do :/
    matched betting: £879.63
  • tiny_courageous
    Options
    made a massive batch of veggie chow mein at the weekend so I'm having that all week!

12/12 so far. Pushing on!
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am fuming with Tesco! They just might make me FAIL FAIL FAIL this challenge!! I had booked our online shop to arrive at 9-11pm last night, only to find at 5 to 11 that it'd been cancelled due to 'van issues'! We called the 24 hr supermarket and they said that they'd rearrange it for tonight but when we called to confirm the time they said it was fully booked today so it'd now have to be Wednesday or Thursday! Grrr. Luckily had some cheese and bread so wasn't too bad today but may have to have a day off the challenge tomorrow and blame Ts all the way!
  • eleanor73
    eleanor73 Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi,

Have done 11/11! Yay. Nearly gave in today as was doing training away from the workplace from 12 - 2 then on to a meeting however it was the fact that I would have to report a bought lunch on this board that made me make a sandwich from yesterdays left over chicken and keep it in the fridge til the very last min and then put somewhere cool when I was training!! Getting lunch bought for me tomorrow but know what I am taking Thurs :j

Thanks for starting this thread. I reckon it has saved me about £28 so far xxx
    Since starting again after beanie: June 2016: Child development DVDs, Massive Attack tickets. July: Aberystwyth trip, hotmilk nightie. Aug: £10 Hipp Organic vouchers, powerpack. September: Sunglasses. October: £30 poundland vouchers.
  • bLaZiNgDucK
    Options
    Another Lunch and another day ticked off
    To be figured out!
  • Lollypop75
    Options
    Yesterday I bought another lunch. I did plan this, though, so it is all ok. I have a day off today so I'm going to do a food shop and make myself a vegetable satay, which I'll have for lunch the next two days.
  • Nottoobadyet
    Options
    Holy cripes, we're in the weekly e-mail! How cool :-)

More butternut squash soup for me today, I've made the roll thing work by buying a pack of eight (£.60) at the begining or the week and sticking half in the fridge and the other half in the freezer. I'll warm them up one by one as I eat them. Hopefully they'll stay fresh until I eat them this way!
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Latecomer here – wish I’d seen this a little earlier. :D I’m planning on having 4 lunches and evening meals home made with one eat out lunch and take away dinner a week. Weekends are always home cooking though – should save us both quite a lot of money – if I can keep it going. I freeze leftovers from dinner for lunch and have come to a couple of conclusions.

Dishes with mashed potato take forever to heat through evenly in the microwave so Rice and Pasta seem to be the answer.
    Leftover Roast dinner manages surprisingly well.
    Variety of food that’s reheatable is going to be the main problem!

Already stocked up with Chilli and Bolognese - need to do some vegetarian dishes. And things that smell delicious – just to goad some of the people who have microwave meals each day!

Sadly I don’t do sandwiches – can’t get them to stay fresh and nice till lunchtime and I need to do something that I can prepare at the weekend or leftovers from the week that can just be boxed. Nothing to be done in the morning.

Anyone heat up home made bacon sandwiches for the morning though?

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport