We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

January save on work lunches challenge

Options

Comments

• sibles
    sibles Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I've been neglecting you all a bit, but keeping up with the challenge!
    I've got lunch again today!!
    Clicking, searching and surveying my way to a life of debt freedom!
    Debt Free 27th Nov 2012
    Weight Loss so far: [STRIKE]12lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]13lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]15lb[/STRIKE][STRIKE]16lb[/STRIKE] 17lb
  • blueneleh
    blueneleh Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    11 out of 11 so far for me (with a few near misses when I nearly succumbed to buying lunch as I couldn't be bothered to prepare anything but managed not to give in)!
    Had left over pasta from the weekend today :)
  • josephine82
    Options
    11 out of 11 for me too!
    Debt free as of 2 October 2009
    Mortgage free as of 27 March 2024
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I failed today as I got hungry last night and ate all my remaining salad stuff. oops. Not sure what to do for tomorrow. Need some inspiration really. I have such little dridge space and freezer space I have to go shopping every few days unless I buy dry goods that I can whack in the cupboard.
    matched betting: £879.63
  • rictus123
    rictus123 Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No baker yet, packed lunches so far :D
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    mavvysmum wrote: »
    Well I'm on day 10 and still no lunch spend! But getting very bored of peanut butter or cheese sarnies! Any suggestions for good fillings that aren't too expensive or complicated? I've got a packet of Ainsley Harriot flavoured Cous Cous so might bring that in one day, any idea what i can eat with it?

Egg mayonnaise with tinned smoked mackerel, tuna olives and mayonnaise, Marmite and cress (my favourite, reminds me of teatime at my mum's!) Are you a veggie? Get some Betty Crockers Bacon bits from the supermarket, they liven up any sandwich.
    ps Is the cous cous actually Ainsley Harriot flavoured? :eek:
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Today was the first day this month I went out to buy lunch (it was a very tasty panini and bar of chocolate) so I'm still on track with the challenge but as its only Monday I need to get organised to bring something in with me tomorrow.

Mavvysmum - I like feta cheese with cous cous (I think because M&S do a salad with cous cous and feta!) and I've substituded laughing cow triangles for the feta before! Also I've had it with a tin of mixed beans (mixed the 2 together then there is enough for 2 days) but I reckon you could have it with almost anything - do you eat tuna? what about left overs from the night before? fresh salad?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • mavvysmum
    mavvysmum Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas barbiedoll and tixy! And no, couscous isnt ainsley harriot flavour :rotfl:its spice sensation i believe. will try some of the ideas you've suggested, mixed beans, feta and tuna all sound good and some of those sandwich fillers sound yummy as well! am not a veggy so will have to track down those bacon bits!
    November 2018 make £10/day - £21/£300
    November 2018 NSDs 1/15
    Emergency Fund /£1000
    Weight Lost lb/100lb
  • MrGreen
    MrGreen Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another NSD for me today, I have a couple of days off now, even with all these days off I'm still working 20 days this month. With a few spend days in the first week I'm now getting nearer to my target of 4/5.

8/12 so far
    Nearly debt free
  • Lollypop75
    Options
    Yesterday (I work in retail, so work on Sundays) I didn't manage. I actually did have a delicious pasta and home made sauce that I took to work with me. But then in my lunch break (only half an hour) I didn't have time to eat it. I didn't have anything then. I was going to eat my pasta at the end of the day, but it turned out I couldn't work out how to use the microwave. I was so hungry (it was 6pm and I hadn't eaten anything all day) so I bought something from McDonalds - even though it was after work I'm counting it as a fail, as it's money I wouldn't have spent if I'd had my lunch. I'm going to avoid that next week by getting there early and having my lunch before I start. Then just having a piece of fruit or bag of crisps in my break.

But today I was ok. I had fried vegetables with houmous. It was yummy! I'm going to buy something tomorrow, but I'm not working Wednesday, so should have time to make something for Thursday and Friday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport