Eager Elephant's Effective Everyday Excursion ...

Options

Comments

• moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think your self preservation gene needs to kick in here. How much of the debt is in joint names and how much is solely in your name? Hes spent more in one week than you've PAD'ed in six months. At the rate hes going you'll both be declaring yourself bankrupt as you'll be unable to manage to repay the debt.

Perhaps its worth separating the debt into yours and his and working solely on clearing yours. I know its an awful thing to say but perhaps he needs the embarassment of his credit card being refused publically to realise how out of hand his spending has become. I know at the end of the day you all suffer when you have to pay additional fees for going beyond your limits but I get the impression nothing else is going to work.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Moo

Thanks for your comments.

Luckily we have no joint debt so at the moment the PAD's I will make will go to my credit card.

I am hoping that once he realises that my debt will be gone long before his he will buck his ideas up!!

He is hoping to sell his old car which should raise £7500 if he can sell it - if not I'm not sure what he is gong to do - to be honest I don't care at the moment.

His logic will be well if I can get £7500 for the car why not spend that on the credit card before the money is in my hand. My logic would be well if the new car was £5000 and I can get £7500 for my car that will reduce my debt by £2500!!!

DH cannot use his credit cards in shops because the pin numbers were shredded ages ago and he cut up most of his cards except this one he is using at the moment. This is why everything is being brought online because he doesn't need to know the pin number.

Will report in later with details of his newest purchases!!

EE
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Well I have been busy over the weekend so I have not been on.

No PAD's until today as I was running short but Child Benefit has gone in. I have only paid £1.19 today but at least it is something!
    I thought it was payday on Friday but it's not til next week so I will have to cancel my hair appointment which was booked for this Saturday!

On the DH front, the crap has hit the fan...
    Over the weekend he missed a call from Paypal credit card. He logged into online services and he is over his limit!! Surprise Surprise!!
    His bank account is also seriously depleted although he claims he has not brought anything he shouldn't have - err no that's because it is all on the credit card!!

When he paid for his new car on my Paypal account he overpaid and the guy transferred it back into my Paypal account (so I thought I wouldn't mention anything until he did!). DH has asked that I transfer the money into my bank account and then use that to pay to Paypal credit card to bring the balance within the limit.

Then this morning he asked whether I could afford to lend him the money to post the eggs he has been selling on ebay as he only has enough money in his bank to cover his petrol for this week. I asked why he could not use the money from the sale of the eggs, he has already spent most of this on buying allsorts from ebay and has withdrawn some money which has also been spent!!

I told him that I didn't want to lend him any money as I did not agree with the things he had purchased so it was his own fault!

I also asked him what he had learnt from this - he said he knows he is a !!!! - head!! I asked whether thinking that would stop him buying things he did not need? He did not reply!

In the end I agreed to pay the postage but I would take it out of the money I was withdrawing into my bank account from Paypal - so I am lending it to him for a few days but at least I am guaranteed it back!

Today I logged into his Paypal account and in the last month he has purchased about 30 things from ebay and other places - so about 1 a day! Some of these things I did not even know about.
    I noticed that he had paid Vistaprint so I have logged on to their website and discovered that he has ordered some pens to be printed with our brand name!! What a waste of £25! The order details show that they have been delivered so god only knows where he has hidden them!

The thing that annoys me the most is the money he makes from selling the turkey eggs could be used to reduce his credit card balances but instead he is wasting it!!

Anyway rant over!! Thanks guys for listening!!

EE
  • BLT_2
    BLT_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have been busy over the weekend so I have not been on.

No PAD's until today as I was running short but Child Benefit has gone in. I have only paid £1.19 today but at least it is something!
    I thought it was payday on Friday but it's not til next week so I will have to cancel my hair appointment which was booked for this Saturday!

On the DH front, the crap has hit the fan...
    Over the weekend he missed a call from Paypal credit card. He logged into online services and he is over his limit!! Surprise Surprise!!
    His bank account is also seriously depleted although he claims he has not brought anything he shouldn't have - err no that's because it is all on the credit card!!

When he paid for his new car on my Paypal account he overpaid and the guy transferred it back into my Paypal account (so I thought I wouldn't mention anything until he did!). DH has asked that I transfer the money into my bank account and then use that to pay to Paypal credit card to bring the balance within the limit.

Then this morning he asked whether I could afford to lend him the money to post the eggs he has been selling on ebay as he only has enough money in his bank to cover his petrol for this week. I asked why he could not use the money from the sale of the eggs, he has already spent most of this on buying allsorts from ebay and has withdrawn some money which has also been spent!!

I told him that I didn't want to lend him any money as I did not agree with the things he had purchased so it was his own fault!

I also asked him what he had learnt from this - he said he knows he is a !!!! - head!! I asked whether thinking that would stop him buying things he did not need? He did not reply!

In the end I agreed to pay the postage but I would take it out of the money I was withdrawing into my bank account from Paypal - so I am lending it to him for a few days but at least I am guaranteed it back!

Today I logged into his Paypal account and in the last month he has purchased about 30 things from ebay and other places - so about 1 a day! Some of these things I did not even know about.
    I noticed that he had paid Vistaprint so I have logged on to their website and discovered that he has ordered some pens to be printed with our brand name!! What a waste of £25! The order details show that they have been delivered so god only knows where he has hidden them!

The thing that annoys me the most is the money he makes from selling the turkey eggs could be used to reduce his credit card balances but instead he is wasting it!!

Anyway rant over!! Thanks guys for listening!!

EE

Damn, I can rarely even win anything on ebay, let alone 30 items in a month :D
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I was reading a diary at the weekend by a lady who is now debt free, each month she posted an updated balance for all her credit cards and it was nice to see it reducing so I think I might do the same!!

From now on I will only mention my debt as I am no longer allowing myself to be concerned about DH's!!

So watch out for my update post around the 1st of the month!

Note to self - must pay in YouGov forum cheque this week as that £25 is needed to start reducing my Barclaycard balance!!

EE
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    BLT wrote: »
    Damn, I can rarely even win anything on ebay, let alone 30 items in a month :D

Ha Ha :rotfl:

Maybe if you only went on ebay for the Buy It Now's (like my DH) you would be guaranteed to win!!!

EE
  • scoobylicious
    Options
    I was reading a diary at the weekend by a lady who is now debt free, each month she posted an updated balance for all her credit cards and it was nice to see it reducing so I think I might do the same!!

From now on I will only mention my debt as I am no longer allowing myself to be concerned about DH's!!

So watch out for my update post around the 1st of the month!

Note to self - must pay in YouGov forum cheque this week as that £25 is needed to start reducing my Barclaycard balance!!

EE
    Hi Eager,
    Keep ranting on here, it will help vent some frustration!!
    I remember only too well the stress of an OH like yours :mad:
    & yes I think showing your debt balance might help. I originally put mine in my sig to shame me into trying to reduce it (or at least stop spending on them!) :p but now it's also working as an incentive being able to see it actually going down instead of up for the 1st time!
    Scoobyx
    :eek:CCs[STRIKE] £46287.82[/STRIKE] £40071.74 13% DFD Feb17nowNov[STRIKE]16[/STRIKE]15:o ODsRBS £425, A/L £2500
    LBM March2010 Good bits...Boots£97.78 Tesco£30.50 Nectar£62.06 JL£105
    PADs £447.90
    dfw longhauler#220 DebtFree by Olympics#91 £6215.28/22000 28.2%
    £10k in 2010#125 £6215.28/£1
    0k 62.1% :A
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Hi :wave:

Well DH has not spent any money today - probably because he is up to his limit!! :rotfl:

My brother came round tonight and we had a laugh about DH spending money, DH now thinks that he has a spending problems - err yeah I could have told you that!!

He thinks he has it under control - yeah until you make some minimum payments and bring the balance down and then spend on it again!

PAD today of £1.20.

Did not manage to pay the cheque in - can't remember where I have put it - must try better tomorrow.

EE
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    OMG!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just logged into DH's bank account and he was out of his overdraft, hmm thinks I he must have been paid a day early.....

NO he has taken out a loan!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

He must have applied for it the other night - but why does he need a loan???

I am so angry (understatement given all the faces above!!) but as long as he pays the housekeeping and the animal money then I must not bother about him.

I also noticed 2 letters from Barclays today which said that the DD for car insurance has bounced!! Not a good start to owning the new car!! plus he now has a Premier account (may have mentioned this before) for which he says he pays £20 per month, way more than his normal account when he paid £12.50pm. Actually the letter states that it is £25 per month with loads of freebies which we would never need such as travel insurance etc.
    When I asked him about it the other night he said ' yeah but you get to queue at the premier desk so you don't have to queue!!' Anyone would think he was upper class and not from the working class!!!

Once again I will not mention it to him and will rise above it

EE

Just remembered the other night when my brother came round DH was asking him about his Barclays online and whether he ever checked the pre-approved offers tab as this shows things which you have been approved for such as loans and overdraft. I guess this is where he goes to keep increasing his overdraft - I'm assuming that when he went in there the other night they had approved him for a loan so he took it! :mad:
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Just to confirm that I had permission to log into this account as I had to pay the council tax but first I had to transfer some money from my account to his.

As I have faster payments I checked his account to make sure the payment was showing before making the payment on their website as I knew he would be near his overdraft limit (well not anymore!!)

Can't believe he didn't try and hide it from me!!

EE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport