Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Singles Holidays

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
46 replies 5.8K views
CatbellsCatbells Forumite
768 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
I'm 50 and single and have looked for Singles holidays and come up with hundreds of them so I want to ask if anyone can recommend any particularly good ones.

I'm interested mainly in active/sun type holidays with an emphasis on walking or maybe tennis - and meeting new people too. Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• lolly5648lolly5648 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of people I used to works with have been on solosholidays.co.uk and enjoyed the holiday. They seem to have lots of different types of hols and they mix the ages. I understand that it is for people who want companionship on holiday, not to meet a partner.

if you google them you will find reviews
  • scot88scot88 Forumite
    351 Posts
    Am same age as you and single. I have found it relatively easy to go on holiday on my own and enjot it. Admittedly not abroad. I looked at singles hols and they cost a fortune,dont see what you get for all that extra money.Why not pick somewhere you think you'll like and book flight and hotel yourself,even a long weekend to start with. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been on one myself, but a lot of my local walking group seem to have been on HF Holidays, both at home and abroad. Not specifically for singles, but my group are certainly friendly enough, and I walk without DH.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw this on another thread, lots of activity hols and stuff in the UK and abroad www.spiceuk.com
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • CatbellsCatbells Forumite
    768 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    scot88 wrote: »
    Am same age as you and single. I have found it relatively easy to go on holiday on my own and enjot it. Admittedly not abroad. I looked at singles hols and they cost a fortune,dont see what you get for all that extra money.Why not pick somewhere you think you'll like and book flight and hotel yourself,even a long weekend to start with. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for that Scott. I think I would start to find being on my own difficult after 24 hours or so. I've done it to Paris for a couple of days and really enjoyed it but after the second night I was looking forward to chatting to people again.
  • CatbellsCatbells Forumite
    768 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Never been on one myself, but a lot of my local walking group seem to have been on HF Holidays, both at home and abroad. Not specifically for singles, but my group are certainly friendly enough, and I walk without DH.

Thanks Sue. Will check that out. By the way I didn't understand the other bit of your message about your role on the board. The bit where you say Martin asked you to tell me something.. Did I do something wrong?!!
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catbells wrote: »
    Thanks Sue. Will check that out. By the way I didn't understand the other bit of your message about your role on the board. The bit where you say Martin asked you to tell me something.. Did I do something wrong?!!
    Noooooo! That's just my 'signature', you'll see lots of people have them, but every 'board' has at least one 'board guide', and we have that message from Martin as a signature.

For example, if you'd been ignored here, I could have moved your post over to the Holidays board, where it might get more responses - I have the power! :rotfl: - but even if I did it wouldn't be a telling off, we leave that to the MSE abuse team. ;)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saga (50 +) do Nile cruises with some double cabins available at single person rates for the single traveller - I have one booked for Jan. VERY good prices !
    Plenty of walking round the temples, plenty of sun !
  • stowupland4stowupland4 Forumite
    36 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Do try friendshiptravel.com I have been with this company twice now and cannot fault them. They do have mixed ages, but I have found this works very well. I have just received this years summer brochure, and made my first of hopefully three bookings.
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catbells wrote: »
    Thanks for that Scott. I think I would start to find being on my own difficult after 24 hours or so. I've done it to Paris for a couple of days and really enjoyed it but after the second night I was looking forward to chatting to people again.

There are people in Paris - it is a capital city! Didn't you find any 'people' there at all?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.