About ancestry.co.uk

Comments

• I have found it great - as a pound per hour hobby it is very cheap... particularly if you use it as much as me!! Have "met" several new rellys this year - some quite closely related but just never knew they were around - now we are all facebook friends. Others very distant rellies and distantly located - USA, Canada, Australia.

I have about 2000 people in our trees and am adding all the time.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Another fan here, however I would also look at Find my past as they have 1911 Census which really opened up my research, I have been seriously doing geneology for just over a year and I have over 2000 people in my tree and I have met several new cousins via Ancestry.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • minimadtrix
    minimadtrix Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    kittie wrote: »
    The paternal side stops with my grandmother and that is it, no more info available.

It should be noted that ancestry.co.uk is being updated all the time - I found the same problem with my great grandmother, but a few months ago her death 'popped up'.
  • dally1
    dally1 Posts: 55 Forumite
    I've found it invaluable, and sometimes even find myself looking at other names that seem interesting - something I wouldn't do if I was using pay-as-you-go (I'm easily distracted!). And it was quite something when I found gt grandad's army record with his height, colour of his hair and eyes along with details of his postings...

I've just subscribed for the second year, don't know how easy it is to cancel but they did send an email reminder in good time before they took the next payment.
    If swimming is good for your figure, can someone please explain whales?
  • Isnt it heavily england and wales biased?? most of my lot are scots/irish..??Also i note they like continuous payment authority. How easy is it to cancel? Is there a danger that they "forget" to cancel?

I cancelled and the form is somewhere on the site. I got a confirmation by e mail
  • dally1 wrote: »
    I've found it invaluable, and sometimes even find myself looking at other names that seem interesting - something I wouldn't do if I was using pay-as-you-go (I'm easily distracted!). And it was quite something when I found gt grandad's army record with his height, colour of his hair and eyes along with details of his postings...

I've just subscribed for the second year, don't know how easy it is to cancel but they did send an email reminder in good time before they took the next payment.

I got stacks of info from the MOD as my dad`s next of kin. I also got 4 unclaimed medals. It cost £30 and was invaluable
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have done a lot of work on ancestry and would now like a printed copy. I can only find instructions to print the pedigree chart but I would like to print my entire work. Does anyone know how to do this?
  • Flimber wrote: »
    Anyone know of a current cheaper deal for worldwide membership than $209.40 (~£130) ? That's the price available via ancestry.com and it's invaluable [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] when you discover that your great Aunt Whatsername emigrated.
    Mike.

Where do you see $209.40? I see $299.40. The cheapest that I have found is £155.40 less 25% of the non-VAT element via topcashback = £122.34
  • eoin
    eoin Posts: 14 Forumite
    I found it pretty useless for my family as it is not good for Scottish family
  • I cashed in some Tesco's points to get the family tree software and got 6 months access to ancestry included with it. It is still available for £15 pounds worth of points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure