Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

About ancestry.co.uk

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
37 replies 4.7K views
freedomfreedom Forumite
71 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Has anyone tried this site
Is it worth the £83.40 annual fee?

Replies

• edited 30 December 2009 at 7:15PM
    minimadtrixminimadtrix Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2009 at 7:15PM
    Yes, I've got a subscription - it was well worth the money for me - I'm tracing all grandparents families on mine and OH's sides. The site gives you hints they find on their site - from other trees as well as from their records. It's been a good year for me and have added well over 750 people to the family!!! You also get to look at your ancestors' army files which I found fascinating
  • TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are serious about researching your family, it is definitely worth it - however, it only gives you access to a lot of different source material (census, birth, marriage , deaths etc) and you still need to do a lot of work yourself to make the most of what is available.
  • edited 30 December 2009 at 9:27PM
    FlimberFlimber Forumite
    736 Posts
    edited 30 December 2009 at 9:27PM
    TonyMMM wrote: »
    If you are serious about researching your family, it is definitely worth it - however, it only gives you access to a lot of different source material (census, birth, marriage , deaths etc) and you still need to do a lot of work yourself to make the most of what is available.

Anyone know of a current cheaper deal for worldwide membership than $209.40 (~£130) ? That's the price available via ancestry.com and it's invaluable [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] when you discover that your great Aunt Whatsername emigrated.

And can anyone confirm/deny the rumour that Quidco are no longer linked up with Ancestry.co.uk despite the launch page still existing ?

Mike.
  • BronnieBronnie Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    freedom wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this site
    Is it worth the £83.40 annual fee?

Well worth the fee, worked out on a weekly basis, for convenience alone!
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started off using Pay-as-you-go but as I got more and more obsessed with my ancestry searching I swapped over to the annual membership as it worked out much, much cheaper in the long run. I have now cancelled my membership (for the time being at least!) as, due to circumstances, I was not making good use of the site.

By the way Flimber, I got good money back payments using Greasy Palm. I don't know if this is still the case but may be worth checking.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many local libraries have free access to Ancestry, try your local one for a sampler to see if it would be useful

Here you have to pre-book PC and are limited to one hour, however at quite times one can just walk in and stay until PC required for new user
  • Yes Freedom - Ancestry is well worth the money if you seriously want to trace your family. I have found a cousin - 4 times removed, ie - we share a GGGrandfather. She was able to supply me with a tree which saved me days of work. Down another branch I have found living relatives, and will be meeting them in the New Year. Also try Rootschat.co.uk that has also connected me with branches of my family and there are lovely people who are also only too pleased to help me. Fun sight. Good luck.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget Familysearch.org (the Latter Day Saints site) this is free and thanks to that I "found" a cousin 4 times removed - we too shared the same great great grandfather. She was able to transport me back to 1568!!! How amazing was that! Also some very helpful people on British-genealogy.com - that too is free. Good luck!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ancestry wasn`t worth it for me. I got the worlwide sub but have hardly used it. One of my lines has been done already, without breaks, to 1375. The paternal side stops with my grandmother and that is it, no more info available.

Ancestry is fine if the lineage is straightforward uk, eire and america
  • C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt it heavily england and wales biased?? most of my lot are scots/irish..??Also i note they like continuous payment authority. How easy is it to cancel? Is there a danger that they "forget" to cancel?
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.