Money Moral Dilemma: Should Carrie return her present?

123457»

Comments

• Keep the dress! Life's too short to worry about the money! If your friend had given you a choice than I'm sure you would have taken the money, but she didn't. If the dress fits and you look Fab in it, it will last a dacade. She could have given you a box of chocolates..........:T
  • It depends on what is meant by "a bit broke". If its my definition of broke, there is no moral dilema here, of course she should return the dress. Any friend would perhaps be disappointed but would understand. A few years ago I was in extreme difficulties and when my birthday/Christmas came around I was comforted in the knowledge that I could ask people for cash and perhaps return any DVDs/books that I was given. Use a bit of the money to buy a much cheaper dress if you feel guilty.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well Samantha must think a great deal of Carrie to buy her such an expensive dress - and I find it very odd that she would not be aware of Carrie's financial situation.

Assuming that they are close friends, I would suggest that Carrie tells Samantha that she is really broke and would much prefer the benefit of the use of the money. So, if she didn't mind too much, I would prefer to take the dress back and get the cash instead.

Good friends should be able to be honest with each other.
  • I certainly would keep the dress. It's a present and although you may be hard up I think it best not to return it. However if the dress is awful...that's a different story!!!
  • pie81
    pie81 Posts: 530 Forumite
    No way. Samantha chose to give her the dress rather than the money. Carrie can't just swap the dress without telling Sam.

Carrie could explain the situation to Sam and ask if it's ok if she returns the dress for the cash, but personally I'd find it very difficult to respond to this if I was Sam - I'd probably feel obliged to say "keep the dress and here's a £100 loan".
  • Cissi
    Cissi Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    She'll need to tell Sam anyway, unless the dress was paid for in cash! Most shops will/can only refund the card that was used in the original transaction...
  • Definitely. If I was her friend I would far rather she used the money for something she really wanted or needed, after all, what use is the dress if it doesnt fit? Should she just hang it in her wardrobe and throw rice at it?? lol x
  • Definitely. If I was her friend I would far rather she used the money for something she really wanted or needed, after all, what use is the dress if it doesnt fit? Should she just hang it in her wardrobe and throw rice at it?? lol x

The OP doesn't say anything about the dress not fitting Carrie, just that Sam gave her the receipt in case the dress didn't fit.....

You could look at this outside of getting money back and just exchanging it.....plenty of people exchange presents.......would swapping this for another dress or item be as bad as getting the money back for it?

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • Difficult - mind you, spending £400 on a designer dress calls into question the sanity of the giver!! I don't think she should sell it, but perhaps she could use it as security for a loan - i.e. pawn it, so she can get it back later when things improve?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure