Money Moral Dilemma: Should Carrie return her present?

Comments

• Carrie got a designer dress from her friend Samantha for Christmas. Samantha gave her the receipt in case the dress doesn't fit. Carrie loves the present, but is a bit broke and could use the £400 she would get from returning it. Should she return it without telling Samantha?

absolutely not, no way. :confused: How could Carrie even think of kicking her friend/friendship with Samantha in the teeth like that, trust is not for trading. She's only a 'bit broke' after all, get over it. Good friends are worth so much more than just money.
    :think: Share prices can go down and down and down, as well as down
  • Its Carrie's dress now so she can do whatever she wants with it. If she wanted to sell it, give it away or put it in the bin, thats entirely up to her. If Carrie really likes the dress, I'd try and persuade her to keep it as the dress will probably give her more joy than paying off debts or frittering it away on something else but if she really needs the cash, I'd say "take it back". The really difficult bit is what she tells her friend Samantha - but if she is a true friend I'm sure Samantha will understand.
  • absolutely not, no way. :confused: How could Carrie even think of kicking her friend/friendship with Samantha in the teeth like that, trust is not for trading. She's only a 'bit broke' after all, get over it. Good friends are worth so much more than just money.
    And a good friend would understand why you would take it back.
    She gave her the reciept so she could take it back in the first place.
    how would this work if she just didn't like the dress??
    Would it be different then? Would you wear something awful simply because a friend spent a packet on it. She should take it back but imo go on a high street spree with the cash and get lots of useful high street clothes with it. At the end of the day if shes broke where she going to go to wear a 400 quid dress anyway?
    :heart2:Got Married 1st may '10!:heart2:
    Our Money Saving wedding was the best day of our lives!!
    :love::love::love::love:
  • Certainly not! She has a great friend, who has giving this lovely gift as a great gesture. Carrie should look into her finances and see why she is a "bit broke".
  • Seems very hypothectical to me as in real life friends don't usually have such diverse finances so my guess is that Carrie isn't really that broke, just experience a minor glitch when she'd feel guilty about splashing out £400 on a dress. In that case it would be an insult to get the money back. If they're in the same financial league are the dress and receipt "legit"? Was Sam's motive to rub Carrie's nose in her plight? If all is above board and the dress was given in good faith etc. etc. can you please give me Sam's address I'd love such a generous friend that knew I couldn't return the same financial value!!!
  • awehla
    awehla Posts: 109 Forumite
    Knowing my luck the dress wouldn't fit me and I'd have to return it anyway. I think if Carrie is really poor with bailiffs at the door, could lose her home poor she should return the dress and get the money. If she is just skint like she always is she should keep the dress. I find this whole scenario quite unlikely though.
  • its christmas time sorry friend had a little to much turkey and pudd and it wont fit me i wiil put the money in the bank and start searching for another dress if that is ok
  • friends are very understanding if with a minor tweak of the truth she will never know and when u get money again hey presto look at the top dress freind got me
  • I would definately return the dress!! You can do a lot more with £400 than a dress which would probly hardly get worn anyway.
    If anyone spent that much on me, i would be horrified, as i am not a material person and would rather see the money go to someone actually needs it.
    that's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a present (tho i know this is a hypothetical situation, it will happen for real). :confused:
  • Oneday77 wrote: »
    She should keep it. Being broke is a huge dent to your confidence and a new designer dress may just give her the confidence/perk boost that she needs. It might even be useful to get a better job with :)
    People hide their finances very well so a friend can easily not know about someones financial difficulties.
    She should really get to the bottom of why she is broke and come visit :money: and get advice :)

Oneday77 has the perfect answer - nothing I can add.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure