How do you keep motivated in the fight against debt?

Comments

• jojitsui
    jojitsui Posts: 403 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have also started to save 50ps and when I have £10s putting them into the bank and paying it off staright away.

It is really suprising how quickly they add up.
    Make £10 a day, October 2023 - £105/£310
  • katenut
    katenut Posts: 530 Forumite
    jojitsui wrote: »
    I like the idea of a spread sheet but I am not the best. Is there one on here that I could use as i wouldn't know where to start.

I found £10 earlier and paid it striaght off my credit card :T
    my favourite motivational tool is the snowball calculator - scary when you first do it but very satisfying to update and see how things are going down! try www.whatsthecost.com, really easy to set up and update your snowball :)
    good luck - this forum is amazing for keeping motivated! :beer:
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    OH has said he won't propose until I am out of debt....there's an incentive! But I know he'll then say that we can't get married until we have saved enough!

Updating your signature and writing things down are a great way to motivate yourself as you actually 'see' the improvement.

Good luck with it all jojitsui! x
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • Rainstar
    Rainstar Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    First and foremost, not getting a daily phonecall of Vanquis is definately motivating. I hope somebody would shoot me before i ever thought of using them again!

I also think the key, like dieting, is not total deprivation otherwise its harder to keep going
    My Lightbulb moment happened on 28th December 2009
  • jojitsui
    jojitsui Posts: 403 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wow that is depressing!! Snowball calculator has told me my debts are going to take an extra year to pay off than i worked out :(
    poo :(

Me and my partner are "on a break" since last night. Bloody new years eve and all grrrrrrr. So i might have extra money to pay them all off from the deposit for the house and the money saved for thr wedding!!
    Make £10 a day, October 2023 - £105/£310
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I stay focused by coming on here everyday and trying to give support to other people.
    Being made redundant is simultaneously focusing my mind, stopping my spending and terrifying me witless.
    Paying a big chunk off the worst card - about 80% of my Virgin card. Will reduce limit in the next week. The card has come out to buy a few bits and pieces for my project at work (claimed back!) and will now go back in its cup of water in the freezer.
    Like others have said, using and reusing things. Will be writing a list of food in the cupboard tomorrow and sorting out menu's. Am using my worn out trousers to make some patchwork skirts.
    I seem to have found peace and real joy in the last year (am going to start sounding like Ringo 'Peace and love, peace and love' Starr) with some gentle pastimes - running on the beach, reading, learning to play guitar.

I think I am going to list debts on my signature so I can follow the tip of adjusting your signature daily.

The final one I would say, which is partially but not directly related, is getting crap toxic people out of your life. Having people around who just like to tell you where you have gone wrong, like to have arguments with you or to point out how brilliant they are to you is like living next door to a black hole. Totally unnecessary and not very helpful.

Having conversations with folk on here is very necessary, very helpful and very positive.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • redsheep
    redsheep Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi,
    I have just used the snowballing tool. Thankyou ! it is going to take me another year to pay off my debts - the goal was to be debt free by Decemeber 2010 !! Very usefule to show which ones to pay off first !
    Thanks
    after divorce debt £27,500 June 2008
    Debt - Jan 2010 £12800
    Redsheep

Debt at divorce £27,500 June 2008
    Debt Jan 2010 £12,800
  • I don't have any debt, but neither did I have any savings until after my ex and I split up. I now have some money out a3way, and even though this sounds miserly, I love seeing how much mounts up in my Credit Union account. I also keep a small amount in the house and add to this whenever I can.

So I can understand a little how people like to see their debt going down daily. It must be really satisfying and in the future some might be like me and watch savings increase. Taking part in NSD Challenge might be an idea - it may encourage you to think before you spend, take sandwiches to work, etc. I've only just started NSD, but it is very motivational!

Reading this, I think I sound a bit like Scrooge, but I'm not really. We still live well enough, but I'm hoping to do a few things around the house and need savings to pay for this (I have enough for some jobs, but this year I really want to tackle quite a few things!)
  • jojitsui wrote: »
    I have also started to save 50ps and when I have £10s putting them into the bank and paying it off staright away.

It is really suprising how quickly they add up.

I save 1ps, 10ps, 5ps and £2 coins - just chuck them in their individual bank bags - it is indeed amazing how they add up (without much financial pain! OK, I do occasionally have to "borrow" £2...) and so satisfying to pay them in! :T
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" 2010: Member No. 891 :j
  • I save 1ps, 10ps, 5ps and £2 coins - just chuck them in their individual bank bags - it is indeed amazing how they add up (without much financial pain! OK, I do occasionally have to "borrow" £2...) and so satisfying to pay them in! :T

I save these as well. I put all the 1p, 2p and 5p into a large coffee jar and count them aboout once a year. It's an easy way to save around £30 and I usually use it for the kids to have some spending money on holiday.

The £2 coins, well... even my kids tell me when they see one. If we're in a shop and someone in front pays with a £2 coin, they ask me if I'm going to get it in my change. I sometimes ask for some of my CTC to be paid in £2 coins, as I know I will not spend them. I'd rather do without. I suppose I'm really anal about saving them, but when you save between £500 and £800 in a year with them, you can see why! I've already saved £8 since January 1st. I bag them into £20 bags and add them to my Credit Union.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure