How do you keep motivated in the fight against debt?

Comments

• I just wanted to say well done to everyone tackling their debt and also that the end does come. It took me quite a few years to clear our debt but paying those final payments is a wonderful feeling so keep at it.

I found the best way is to stay away from the shops altogether if at all possible and maybe have a shopping day once a month, for any presys needed, or clothes etc. It becomes more of an enjoyable occassion to look forward to and you only have to pay one lot of car parking money and the kids can't whine for everything they see.

Instead do all of those other things you ever wanted to do if only you had the time. Read those books that are waiting on the shelf, watch those DVD's you got for Christmas. Take up a craft, recycle old clothes into new. Go for a long walk along the beach. Use the library and learn how to cook, plan your meals and use the time you would be walking round the shopping centre to prepare a nice meal.

I still see all of my shopaholic friends but I never go shopping with them and true friends don't mind. They have even started asking me advice on how to save money! And I always thought they were loaded, maybe they are loaded with debt too? Who knows.
    Currently debt free (for 4 years) - ISA Savings now £4,050.56
    Save 12k in 2012 Challenge - £3215.17 / 3000k (Member 159)

'Wealth' - It's not what you make, but how much you keep!
    Every pound spent is gone forever, new ones have to be rearned!
  • Something that has started motivating me is....
    Using up stuff!! Today I've just realised I have some very questionable bananas in my kitchen, The old Minniepoos would have binned them, but I've just spent a pleasant half hour searching on MSE and have a couple of nice recipes that I'm now off to make - Banana Bread and Banana Muffins.

I get a lot of satisfaction from things like this - I know my money is going further than it used to. I'm spending a lot less on shopping anyway, and what I do spend is used up in full.

Not sure if this just makes me sound a little mad, but little things like this help me get through the week :D
    Total Debt January 2014 £10,725.44

MAKING MONEY IN 2014: £371.84
    £2 Saver #89 £16 ;) 20p Saver #45 £2.40
    Crazy Clothing Challenge 2014 #54 £46.73 / £150
  • Thats excellent. Using everything up is what a lot more people need to start doing. One of my pet hates is waste food, or waste anything. A friend of mine recently passed on a leather 'manager's' office chair because she had bought a new one and the old one, which was in perfect condition, was going to the nearby tip because she does not want the hassle of selling it!! My husband was made up when I gave it to him.

I never replace anything unless it is broken and unfixable, I worry about e landfill especially with all this electronic equipment everyone keeps replacing when something new comes along.

With food use up everything that is going off first. I have even taught myself over Christmas how to make stock. I boiled down the turkey bones and had another pan on the go with the giblets in so made 2 large pots of stock and everything tastes so much better instead of using stock cubes. Once you try this you will find it hard to go back.
    Currently debt free (for 4 years) - ISA Savings now £4,050.56
    Save 12k in 2012 Challenge - £3215.17 / 3000k (Member 159)

'Wealth' - It's not what you make, but how much you keep!
    Every pound spent is gone forever, new ones have to be rearned!
  • I have even taught myself over Christmas how to make stock. I boiled down the turkey bones and had another pan on the go with the giblets in so made 2 large pots of stock and everything tastes so much better instead of using stock cubes. Once you try this you will find it hard to go back.

I was going to do this over christmas, but OH carved the bird and threw it straight in the bin to get it out the way - I was gutted :mad:!!!

Next time we have a whole bird I'm definitely gonna give it a go!

• I too have finally written down all my debt in black and white.

It is amazing just how focused I feel now on clearing it instead of just spending in a haze, never really sure of how much I could afford but obviously I could not afford to spend over 16 and a half thousand.

Updating my signature will be my key to doing an about turn financially. At the moment I have a spare £10 and am itching to get it in the bank so I can pay it off my Barclaycard debt of £3333 - interest rate 26.9% Gulp!! :eek:. This time last month most of it would have been squandered on lunch!!

Lots of good wishes to all the merry msers out there doing exactly the same as me - biting the bullet to become debt free.
    Total debt at 1/9/13 £13774
    Paid off £9236 so far
    DFD November 2016 Trying to bring it forward!!

Trying to save small emergency fund of £1000.
    Also need £350 for big car service and Mot End Oct 2013.
  • jojitsui wrote: »

How do you all keep motivated/ any hints and tips would be great

I manage to stay focused by visiting the various diaries and taking inspiration from people like Hypno and also the savings diaries. I have also joined various challenges to keep me on track.

My plan is for my debt to be gone by October 2010 or at the very latest the end of 2010. I am sick and tired of paying money out for debt and just want to have that feeling of not owing anybody any money.

Savings will be the next step for me. Something to fall back on.

BB
    Original debt at LBM July 2008, £47, 654.34. Debt at January 2016, £21,443. Barclaycard [STRIKE]£9,000[/STRIKE]£8,756, Tesco cc [STRIKE]£3000[/STRIKE]£1,136. Debenhams storecard [STRIKE]£350[/STRIKE]£263, OD [STRIKE]£3,500[/STRIKE] £3,000, Corp Tax £3,036, Study loan £1,750, Smaller debts £2,000.

Since my LBM I have not been fully committed so now I have had a 2nd LBM.
    Aiming to be debt free by December 2016:D
  • minniepoos wrote: »
    I was going to do this over christmas, but OH carved the bird and threw it straight in the bin to get it out the way - I was gutted :mad:!!!

Hope you slapped him one! I would have, what a waste!

Cheers, HG
  • Hope you slapped him one! I would have, what a waste!

Cheers, HG

We had words! Couldn't stay too mad though - it was the evening of xmas eve.

If he does it again though.......!:D

• jojitsui
    jojitsui Posts: 403 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    I just put it together myself, but I am an advanced user of excel, I could setup I basic template and send it to you. :cheesy:

If you wouldn't mind that would be great. I have tried to have a go myself but.... well lets just say my 5 year nephew could have done a better job.

Thanks everyone :T
    I AM going to pay them ALL off!!

Reading all of the above has given me loads of motavation. I have also written down all the bad thinks about having debt and all the good things about not having debt. Being able to spend 6 grand (that I have saved for) on a dream holiday might not be the most sensiable thing to aim for but hey lol :o
    Make £10 a day, October 2023 - £105/£310
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I just keep plodding on & I find that doing a payment a day~PAD~however small to my target debt really helps.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure